Author Topic: The Mystery of Time and Space (By Jubal)  (Read 2612 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
The Mystery of Time and Space (By Jubal)
« on: February 04, 2014, 12:00:08 AM »
The Mystery of Time and Space

Game Type: Free Online Play
Genre: Puzzle/Room Escape

Link: http://www.albartus.com/motas/

Graphics rating:
Gameplay rating:
Immersion rating:
Overall rating:

MOTAS, by Jan Albartus, is the most classic of all Escape-The-Room games. You start off as an unknown character in a seemingly innocuous room... and then break out of it to get to another. Then another. Then another, until you run out of rooms. Reconnecting electricity supplies as you go, you eventually start learning more about who you are and why you are here, with disquieting consequences. Also time travel happens and there are insane numbers of very odd puzzles indeed.

The main attraction of the game is its puzzle gameplay, which it gets a solid four for. Some of the puzzles take a bit long for my liking though my attention span is admittedly short, or have slightly unintuitive answers (the famed wall of green lights takes forever and actually can't all turn green which would be the obvious aim, instead you just have to maximise the green). In general though it's a very thought-provoking and exciting room escape puzzle. The "plot" actually has fantastic premises as well, but has been marked down to a three for immersion simply because we never get to the end of it. MOTAS' twenty or so rooms reveal a lot about the character but ultimately you never find out who you are or what the hell this totally bizarre place you're trapped in is. Or where the time travel devices come from. Also I wanted to keep the weird wandering head from Room 3 as a pet and you can't.

Overall MOTAS is very well worth playing for anyone who like the point & click/Escape the Room genres, or indeed wants to be introduced to them, or just really likes quirky and unexplained bits of sci-fi.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 12:50:05 PM by Jubal »
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...