Author Topic: Workshop: Units  (Read 6270 times)

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Workshop: Units
« on: February 07, 2014, 06:33:26 PM »
This will hopefully become a very expansive thread with a lot of goodies. It's the Unit workshop, where units are finalized and put into the game. DMB and EDU entries will be put here for implementation as well as Unit descriptions and unit files. This will help us keep our EDU and DMB as organized as possible.
I'd like to use as many units as possible, given our limits. Since we will be using BI, we have a 255 entry limit in the DMB and a 500 entry limit in the EDU. We must be wise in unit selection and implementation.
Here are a few resources on the subject:

From cocobongoclub-DJ (the creator of CATW)
For making all these units i had a trick from DVK and Tone ... I just wondered why, two years ago, they had so many roman legions and huge rosters at the same time.
The EDU trick is to use mercs as "regular" unit to have another skin/variant based on the same model.
The DMB trick is to make many "hidden parts" on your 3d model, so that you can hide or show them by the alpha layer (ie three different kind of helmets, etc). I use also folded maps on many elements so i have only one half or one quarter of the element on the skin, sparing surface for other elements. Some are "jacks of all trades". Check for RS2 standards bearers. With the very same model they have represented all cultures in the game. Note also that you can make very extended skins. Mine are all crowded on a 512 px basis. In EDU i also used "double entries" which is using the same EDU entry for two different units name entries (although based on the same stats).

How to save DMB Slots
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?209039-Tutorial-on-saving-DMB-Slots
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Workshop: Units
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 11:49:58 PM »
Okay here I will go through and list the many potential sources from where we could pull units:

-BarebonesWars/Vlad's Mod - I've never looked into these mods but I know they have a lot of new units. I guess it would be worth a look. Editing would more than likely need to take place to fit the mod.

-Casus Belli - Has some very good looking units. We could use some. Small edits needed mainly faces.

-Classical Age Total War - So many units and good models. Would need extensive editing because their textures are not the greatest.

-Diadochi Total War/Extended Greek Mod/Extended Cultures/Rome Total History - A lot of new and historic units. A lot of them retain the vanilla look, would only require new uniform color schemes to fit our mod.

-Europa Barbarorum - Tons of historical units, but they have a unique style that doesn't necessarily fit RTR. Would need simple edits

-Fall of the Republic Rise of the Empire - Has perfect units for RTR, maybe some small edits needed.

-Iberia Total War - Old looking units. Would need to be upgraded to fit RTR

-Paeninsula Italica - Great looking units, but models seem to look smaller than regular units?

-Res Bellicae - Would need a link to the mod before I could find out. Looks interesting

-Res Gestae - Has some interesting units for certain factions made by Prometheus. They look similar to EB's units. Would need editing.

-Roma Surrectum - Has some good choices for RTR.

-Roma Surrectum 2 - If we used any of their units they would need to be edited. A completely different look than RTR. I don't plan on using them.

- RTRVII - RTR but would still need edits on some units especially faces.

- AqD's RTR - Would need to be edited. They all have a blue/grey color scheme and are too shiny.

- Ancient Empires Elysium - Mainly Roman Units. A lot different look compared to what I am wanting.

- RTR Platinum Edition/Mini-Mods and Add ons - A gold mine for units to use

-Unused RTR units - Great source from RTR 7 and units that never made it in. I have access to these files as well as the RTR dev forum so I will have to compile the ones I like.

-SPQR Total War - Has a few interesting units especially for eastern troops.

-Ferres/Milner/Algaman - Great models, would need new textures, especially for faces.

-Macedon Expansion/Barbarians Revenge - Same as XGM and XC, historical but vanilla. Would need new color schemes. Russian mods.

- Rise of Empire - Chinese mod, similar to XGM and XC. Would need new color schemes.

-webbird, warspite, Kali - Already using their units haha

- Other Contributors - Augustus21's Phalangites, The units from the unreleased Punic Total War, LaCa's Units, Hannibal Smith's Carthaginians, Halie Satanus' troops and more. Most would require edits.

As you can see just about every unit ever made could be included. However, a good majority of them would have to be edited enough to fit the mod, which is why I am really needing someone who can work on textures.

God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

b257

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 04:56:31 PM »
You know I know someone on Total war center whose pretty good with re-texturing his name is Hoplite of Ilis:
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/member.php?56255-Hoplite-of-Ilis

Here's an example of some of his work:
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?629536-Alexander-Total-War-Retexture&highlight=

He's skilled enough that he could make the units look unique enough and maintain the vanilla feel of the rosters you want.

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 05:16:03 PM »
Worth a shot, I guess.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 06:24:27 PM »
I've talked to a few others. If they don't join then I'll contact him.

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 06:25:56 PM »
Intel should be the priority.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 06:33:21 PM »
There is Intel, Pdguru, Amorphos, and now Hoplite of Ilis. Or someone can learn. For example, there are many units of the Ferres style available. I am talking to Milner at the moment, and here is our discussion:

Me
We at the RTR Project are making the unit roster right now and there are a lot of units that Ferres, Algaman and yourself have made that we would like to use.
However there is an issue. The RTR style of units looks a lot different that than the Ferres style units.
1. Changing Skin/Face Textures: Ferres units have different faces and skins than RTR units. Would I simply need to copy-cut/paste RTR faces and skins over the ferres textures?
2. Cloth textures: Again both are different. I like the colors that you used but the M&B cloth textures won't match up with the RTR textures. How can I change the texture without altering the colors?
How can I make a 256x256 texture into a 512x512 texture? Do I simply save it as 512x512?

Milner
Right thing, there are very different styles...anyway, what RTR's version are you using?, Platinum and older were made in low resolution (256x256) but RTR VII were made with better resolution and textures (512x512).
Copy and paste may works, but not always...you must take care of skin's structure. About faces, be sure that eyes, mouth...be on the same place than the Ferres' ones...or if it's more simple, change only parts of them (the most known from RTR).
This part is a easy and hard to change, copy another texture that you want and paste into the clothes parts that you want to remove....later delete the parts of the new textures that may be on wrong places and change the colour of that new texture untill you had the colour you want.
If you are uising Paint or Gimp, when you do this changes, the new texture conversion will be in a very low resolution...and you must change all the skin to a new one with better resolution.
Yes, it's only a change of size and weight, but my advise is to use Photoshop (CS 2 is free since a few months ago)...with this program the skin only lose a few resolution.

I've asked him to give me more help. Maybe we don't need anyone?

b257

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 07:23:14 PM »
Intel should be the priority.

You know I was going to recommend him too. He is a talented unit maker, if we could recruit him for the mod it could be a real boost for the unit roster.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 07:39:31 PM »
He's been busy with exams. He said he might be able to after this month

b257

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 09:19:37 PM »
You Know, just for the heck of it I tried the Diadochi Total war units and I must admit, they would fit this mod rather nicely. They keep the Vanilla Feel and look good, my one gripe is the Cataphracts for the Greek factions, they are kinda dull looking. Thinking about it now it got me thinking, I know you like the Greek Cataphracts in RTRPE ahowl but if we are fortunate enough to get the services of someone who can not only re-texture but who can model units as well, perhaps we should consider making a Greek cataphract unit unique for our mod, we should also consider doing this as well to some of the other elite units, you know just to add a unique and original element to the roster without having to do a full overhaul..

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 09:21:25 PM »
There are two Russian Mods that have unique models for Cataphracts.
Macedon Expansion and Barbarians Revenge. I suggest you check them out, since I don't have them installed.

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 09:41:57 PM »
Will we use the 512x512 resolution or the 256x256 in our future units?

b257

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 10:00:22 PM »
There are two Russian Mods that have unique models for Cataphracts.
Macedon Expansion and Barbarians Revenge. I suggest you check them out, since I don't have them installed.

I tried the Former, their Cataphracts are awesome, the latter, I'm not too trusting of Russian download sites. But damn, I will say one thing, those Russian and Italian Modders sure know how to make excellent units. Which reminds me, I forgot to ask before I started rambling like an Idiot and throwing random ideas out there, are we still going for a vanilla feel for the units? or is more leeway being given in that regards?

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 10:14:05 PM »
I am hoping that we can use 512x512 for all units. However all the ones we are using now and that are from RTRPE etc use 256x256, so we would need to find a way to convert them and maybe edit them so they look sharper and more detailed.
Yes we will see if we can use theirs.
We are going to go with a RTRPE feel.