Author Topic: Partitions of Numbers  (Read 3187 times)

Othko97

• SotK Beta
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
    • Awards
Partitions of Numbers
« on: February 22, 2014, 06:16:13 PM »
As someone who loves maths, I am involved in what is known as Maths Working Group in my college. Last week we were told to make a presentation on either Partitions or this other problem which is similar, which I'll come to later.

Basically a partition is how many different ways can you make up a natural number from summing other natural numbers, so 3 has partitions (1+1+1),(2+1),(3). We were basically told to do stuff with them, so I did.

The other problem was to do with bubbles, and nesting them. So say you have 3 bubbles, how many different ways can they be arranged - you could have all three nested, 2 nested with one outside or all three not nested. Again we were just told to play around with this problem. Thoughts?

I'll attach my powerpoint as a word document and a program which finds the first n partitions (where you enter n), and saves your previous runs to a file, called Previous Runs. It's a java file, so tell me if you have problems.
I am Othko, He who fell from the highest of places, Lord of That Bit Between High Places and Low Places Through Which One Falls In Transit Between them!

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Partitions of Numbers
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 07:44:23 PM »
As someone who loves maths,
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhh!

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 07:23:30 PM »
Interesting - thanks for posting this. I played with this briefly, and then decided to read about it instead. Hopefully the Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partition_(number_theory)) is all true.

Two particular points that surprised me:
  • There's no recurrence formula for getting a partition number simply from the previous one or previous several.
  • This area is related to pentagonal numbers (1, 5, 12, ...)

Othko97

• SotK Beta
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 08:39:37 PM »
Yeah, this was one of my favourite things we did last year :P While I don't think my method for solving either problem was particularly interesting, I found the problem fun! The pentagonal thing surprised me when I first saw it as well, which was shortly after the problem was set. By the way, wikipedia tends to be accurate for maths and sciences, however less so for more artsy subjects.
I am Othko, He who fell from the highest of places, Lord of That Bit Between High Places and Low Places Through Which One Falls In Transit Between them!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 12:30:29 AM »
Don't get me started on some of Wikipedia's history content. :P
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Cuddly Khan

• Silhouette in Disguise
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • PURGE THE BOTS!!
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 09:04:08 AM »
So Jubal, tell us all about Wikipedia's history content. ;)
Most effective elected official. Ever. (not counting Jubal)

He is Jubal the modder, Jubal the wayfarer, Jubal the admin. And he has come to me now, at the turning of the tide.