Author Topic: So what is Warhammer?  (Read 48201 times)

dubsartur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: So what is Warhammer?
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2020, 03:40:38 PM »
Games Workshop is also run by assholes.  I expect that if any of us tried to sell plastic minis, we would realize that theirs should be 50% more expensive, but there are other issues:

- they want to keep the whole pie for themselves by talking about 'the games workshop hobby' not 'wargaming'
- they rely heavily on selling minis to children who can't really paint, and on staffers plowing their paltry wage into discount minis
- they let distributors build a local market, then when sales reach a certain level they open a franchise and cut the distributor off (again, they want the whole pie for themselves)
- when I was reading White Dwarf, I noticed that the 'less bad' army tended to win matchups, and when they talked about earlier plays which they were not writing up, the reverse tended to be true (so were the battle reports in White Dwarf kayfabe?)
- they really really want you to buy their minis and their paint, and every so often they change the rules so you have to buy new minis (or that your old army is no good compared to the newer army books)

I played their games a bit, and one friend was really in to them and worked for a store for years, but its hard that their games have nothing to do with real warfare or history, and growing up I was poor like I am now.  Since they don't want to be part of a wargaming or tabletop gaming community, maybe they should not get a privileged place in this tabletop gaming subforum?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2020, 03:44:02 PM »
Yes, mostly agreed with that. I don't have a problem that their games have little to do with real warfare, but yeah, they're very much a corporate machine.

Unpinned for now I think. More thoughts on what intro material this part of the site should ahve are welcome.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2020, 02:17:28 PM »
I'm way into SAGA and warmahordes at the moment for my tabletop wargaming/skirmish game, if anyone's interested I could write a little about that?
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

dubsartur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2020, 04:20:03 PM »
I would love to hear about the other games people are playing these days!

Flames of War and Bolt Action were two pretty popular WW II game a while back, and of course DBA and DBM are still popular for all their quirks (we learned a lot about ancient warfare since the 1980s, but DBA is good chess-like fun and does not require crazy amounts of storage for the armies and terrain).  And Games Workshop's games are fun, the owners are just jerks and that culture spreads outwards.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2020, 05:19:24 PM »
I'm way into SAGA and warmahordes at the moment for my tabletop wargaming/skirmish game, if anyone's interested I could write a little about that?

Yes definitely! A thread would be good or you could even do sth for the articles section, that always needs more stuff :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...