Author Topic: Discussion: Historical Battles  (Read 10661 times)

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Discussion: Historical Battles
« on: February 26, 2014, 06:44:30 PM »
I am in the process of recruiting a member of the RTRA forums. He also is on TWC and goes by Mandoni. He makes historical battles, and good ones at that. He is going to join us and make some for us but he needs to know what battles we would like to have. Also, he needs a good english voice to do the talking for the pre battle. Who has a good tv voice? :)

His work for RTRA:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x12zdqu_rtra-heraclea-2-2013-08-12_videogames
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

Mandoni

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Discussion: Historical Battles
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 07:48:12 PM »
Hello my name is  Mandoni, I'm from Catalonia and participate in RTRanabasis mod, and I've been invited to do some ahowl11 historical battle.
  I do not speak very good English, but I hope to improve.

:-)
CUIUSVIS HOMINIS EST ERRARE , NULLIUS NISI INSIPIENTIS IN ERRORE PERSEVERARE ( Filípiques 12.2.5 )

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 07:54:08 PM »
How about the Battle of Delphi for starters?
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 08:25:03 PM »
I would love to have it, but I think the descriptions are quite scarce. We should be the first mod to include Sellasia, though, there are dozens of reports on it, everyone loves Sparta, the hill fortifications would be fun and it can't be ignored anymore!  ;D

Also, @ahowl, I'm finished with the new units in the other thread for now, have a look!  ;)
''I found a city of bricks and left a city of marble''

Augustus

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 08:42:17 PM »
Ooooh Mandoni made a Sellasia battle for RTRA :)

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 10:22:06 PM »
Ah on the one hand I have to apoligise then for saying no one ever did it, on the other hand that sounds perfect!  :)

Augustus

Mandoni

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 12:26:55 AM »
Finally I was able to download the beta version of the mod, at first sight for the battle of Sellasia I lack factions. It will include more planned?
Perhaps it would limit all existing factions battles

Sellasia BATTLE: The End of Sparta (July 222 BC.)

The third century B.C. It was a turbulent period for the policy in Greece. The Successors by warring remnants of the Empire of Alexander, while the Greek city-states were trying to recover their freedom, lost to Macedonia. With this pretext arises the Achaean League grouping several cities in northern Peloponnese. Meanwhile, Sparta, once a major poleis, has been overtaken by events and is isolated, impoverished and harassed by their enemies. But the Spartans never quit.

ARMY

Before the arrival of Antigonus, Cleomenes fortified all roads and mountain passes, while he camped Oinos closing the river valley further north of the city of Sellasia , assuming that there would the enemy. Two mountains formed a gorge over the valley, Evas and Olimpo , passing between them , along the river , the road leading to Sparta.
Cleverly Cleomenes had extended a line trench and trenches in front of these mountains. He bet on his brother Euclidas Evas commanding the Allies and the phalanx of periecos , while he himself with the Spartans 6000 [16 ] and foreigners occupy Olympus. Meanwhile , the cavalry ( about 650 riders) , with a portion of the aliens remained encamped in the plain along the river , guarding the way. In total about 20,000 men .

When Antigonus arrived and saw that they had prepared defenses the Spartans attack immediately withdrew and camped at a safe distance , after guarneciéndose Gorgilo river. Had about 28,000 infantry and 1,200 cavalry [ 17]: the main body were the Macedonians [18 ] , some 10,000 falangitas [19 ] , 3000 peltastas and 300 horsemen, were accompanied by 1,000 Agrianians 1,600 Illyrians, Gauls 1000 300 and 3,000 mercenaries and mercenary horsemen of unknown nationality among the allies Antigonus had 3,000 infantry and 300 cavalry of the Achaean League, being the most involved in the campaign, 2,000 infantry and 200 cavalry Boeotians , 1,000 infantry and 50 cavalry acarnanios and 1,000 infants and 50 Epirotes riders.

Tactics

After a few days in which Antigonus was dedicated to exploring and testing the ground to lure the enemy out of their strong position , both quotas were prepared for battle.
The Macedonian opposed to a large contingent of Evas with three rows , under Alexander , son of Acmetes , and Demetrius of Pharos . The first one consists of 5,000 falangitas bronze shields . But proving to be an experienced and intelligent units usually sandwiched Illyrians to make training more flexible , providing a too rigid formation would dissolve into the climb to the mountain . [20] Behind these were going acarnanios and the Cretans , and finally the Achaeans .
Just as Cleomenes , Antigonus I placed his cavalry in the center, flanked by Achaeans and Megalopolis . While he with foreign frontline and Macedonians divided into two groups one after another, because of the narrowness of the land, was directed against the troops located on the Olympus .
Antigonus had everything ready : the signal to attack the right wing was a raised canvas, while in the center was a coat of purple.
The attack began on the Evas , the Cretan archers firing over bronze shields and Illyrians while they advanced to the assault . With this advance , left exposed left flank , and light Cleómenes mercenaries fell upon the Illyrians from the valley . This action put in serious jeopardy the result of the fight . But when Philopoemen was here he decided to act , despite not having the order to attack , and the Achaean cavalry launched a devastating counterattack that drove the enemy troops (this action will then earned the admiration of Antigonus [21 ] ) . A fight between the cavalry of both armies in which the Macedonians were gaining ground slowly then it happened .

Relieved of the pressure , the Illyrians and bronze shields attacked frontally while the flanking position acarnanios Evas . Awkwardly, Euclidas not met them step by receiving overhead and thus losing the advantage of height . Sparta's allies were pushed back and then suddenly collapsed formation .
Meanwhile in Olympus, the two kings came at first contact skirmish between mercenaries, but when Cleomenes saw his left wing and flee his cavalry losing ground , he tried to save the battle desperately with a front load downhill phalanx. At first , the forced push back the Macedonians, until they attacked troops closed while his successful right wing and the center took the Spartan flank broke formation and training. The battle was over.
Cleomenes losses had to be very large although we have no figures on almost any source , according to Plutarch , the Spartan 6,000 present at the battle only 200 were saved .

Some screenshots of the battle:

, ,

CUIUSVIS HOMINIS EST ERRARE , NULLIUS NISI INSIPIENTIS IN ERRORE PERSEVERARE ( Filípiques 12.2.5 )

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 12:38:44 AM »
We will have Illyria after the Beta (it will replace Thracia) and the Acheans will also be represented, so you can recreate the battle.

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 01:05:38 AM »
That looks greats!  :) Yes we are working on more units and factions for the next version. Have a look in this thread:

http://exilian.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2896.135  Reply No. 137

Augustus

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 01:21:04 AM »
Yes there will be a few new factions that will be able to represent all of the different Greek States so no worries :)

Mandoni

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 01:21:39 PM »
Well, the battle for Sellasia later.

Lately I am also working with the Battle of Cannae by RTRA, I need to know if this battle factions: Iberians, Gauls, Carthaginians and Romans have some modification and also if the map is already definitive can define the locations RTR.

greetings

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 01:25:14 PM »
The answer is no for both questions. No, the Iberians, Gauls, Carthaginians and Romans don't have any modification, they're merely reskinned vanilla. No, the map it's not definitive, we're going to make another one.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 05:52:29 AM »
They will have new units soon though!

Mandoni

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 12:40:54 PM »
Then we will have to wait to prepare battles on the map, but a list of historical battles is ready to decide which can be carried out, of course I also hope that your proposals.

When you decide on, at least I can prepare in advance scripts work.

greetings

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 12:44:37 PM »
Ok, I'll make a thread so people can propose historical battles they would like to see made.