Author Topic: DMB/EDU Slots  (Read 2230 times)

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
DMB/EDU Slots
« on: March 05, 2014, 07:44:52 PM »
Can someone give me the count of the current DMB/EDU slots being used currently? I am deleting all the unnecessary entries at the moment, and counting as I go. We will subtract the number of entries deleted from the number of entries at the beginning to see how much room we have for adding units. We will also use this thread as a counter so everytime new units are added we will keep count on the slots.
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: DMB/EDU Slots
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 11:31:28 PM »
Important tip to remember: if you have a need to use two skins for the same model for the same faction, and you don't need that model as a mercenary unit, instead of using two DMB slots, put the second texture in as a merc texture and give the unit the merc flag in EDU (and otherwise leave everything as you would normally do).  :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 12:44:27 AM »
Could you elaborate a bit? I want to know how to do this
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 01:16:19 AM »
Okay, so for Warhammer Total War I had, say, two sorts of chaos warrior. Same model, but one has red armour and berserks, one has blue armour and gets druid chant.

So what I do is make the DMB entry as I usually would for blue-guy. Then I add a merc line to the skin, as if I was going to make a mercenary unit with that model as well. But the merc skin I put in is red-guy.

I then make both their entries as normal in DMB with their costs, statlines, etc. And I give them the same battle model, but red-guy has the mercenary_unit flag. The key thing here is basically just that so far as I can tell the mercenary_unit flag in DMB only does three things:
1. Makes them use the merc skin for the unit model rather than the skin assigned to whichever faction owns them.
2. When you select units in custom battle, mercs will be at the end of the roster rather than with units of a similar type.
3. You can if you so wish then add the unit to a mercenary pool on the campaign map, but you don't have to.

You can train units with the mercenary_unit flag from buildings like any other and give them to factions in custom battle like any other.  :)

Does that make sense? I can post code examples if you want.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 01:39:00 AM »
That makes sense, thanks :)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 01:41:28 AM »
It's a very useful trick, and responsible for a lot of how WHTW is quite so packed full of units (the full cap of (IIRC) 300, in fact)  :)