Author Topic: Discussion: New Mercenary Units  (Read 11818 times)

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Discussion: New Mercenary Units
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2014, 06:24:10 PM »
Well I hope he is still working on it :)
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2014, 11:26:08 PM »
I think I agree with Bercor there. For now, we'll need to do it for the current map anyway, so can you figure out the AoR stuff you mentioned? Does someone work on this?
''I found a city of bricks and left a city of marble''

Augustus

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2014, 09:56:02 PM »
I think I agree with Bercor there. For now, we'll need to do it for the current map anyway, so can you figure out the AoR stuff you mentioned? Does someone work on this?

:P

Augustus

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2014, 10:58:43 PM »
As far as I know, nobody is currently working on it. Work has met an halt, since ahowl is a bit busy in RL.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2014, 11:21:23 PM »
I can make a quick AOR set up today. I need others to pitch in though. Having everyone discuss and give their ideas is nice, but it would be better if there were others working on other parts of the mod. Hopefully Sloth comes back soon.
I know with most of you, you do not have the knowledge, time, or experience do do such tasks. I'm just lamenting at the fact that there is a scarce number of actual modders for RTW these days. The ones who do mod, do their own projects like myself, dvk901, and Philadelphos.
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2014, 01:13:26 PM »
Starting with mercenaries for each region:

SICILIAN MERCENARIES:

Peltophoroi(Sicelia/Eastern Sicely)- Sicel peltasts, perhaps ligher (but obviously with a pelte shield) than Greek peltasts but more skilled in rough terrain

Elymi Ekdromoi (Elymia/Western Sicily) - spearmen/Light  drawn from the native Elymians (see RTR VII fpr equipment or the whole model)

Sicel Spearmen (Sicelia/Eastern Sicely) - see RTR VII for model/equipment(similar to Ekdromoi)

(Greek) Mercenary Hoplites (Mistrophoroi Hoplitai)- self-explaining

(Greek) Mercenary Peltasts (Mistrophoroi Peltastai)- same

Greek Mercenary Archers (Mistrophoroi Toxotai)- same

Greek Mercenary Cavalry- same

Perhaps make Roman deserters available from 218 BC on? That's possible on MTW2, but I don't know about RTW.

SARDINIAN MERCENARIES:

Nuragic (goatfell) archers- see RTR VII, very skilled archers

Corsi Javelinmen- skilled javelinmen who lived in the extreme north-east of Sardinia

CORSICAN MERCENARIES:

Corsi Javelinmen- see above, they lived mostly in Northern Corsica and might be related to Ligurians. So if we don't have enough unit spots, we could also put Ligurian Warriors here

Augustus

svramj

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2014, 08:08:18 PM »
INDIAN MERCENARY

Vasnika Kauntika (Mercenary Indian Spearmen) men from wild tribes with moderate training, expected to ward off chariots and cavalry and not engage heavy infantry or elephants.

Vasnika Dhanuska (Mercenary Indian Longbowmen) men from wild tribes with good formal training in archery, can engage in close combat with 2 handed broadswords but not expected to.

Srenibhata (Indian Guild Mercenary) men from private war guilds and corporations. equipped with axe,swords and wooden shields, breast plates, proficient in throwing javelins/darts. highly trained troops but like any mercenary are loyal to their guild masters, chiefs and corporations they trained at.

Vasnya Kamboja Asvanika (Mercenary Gandaran Cavalry) medium heavy cavalry armed with javelins and equipped with swords and hoplon like shields for close combat. best for flanking but not suited for direct charging.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 08:14:49 PM by svramj »

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2014, 10:18:41 PM »
Thanks svramj ;)

And the mercenaries for the other islands:

Balearic AoR:

Balearic Slingers

Cretan AoR:

Cretan Archers

Rhodian AoR:

Rhodian Slingers

Naxos AoR:

Greek Mercenary Hoplites

Lesbos AoR:

Greek Mercenary Hoplites

Greek Mercenary Peltasts

Korkyra AoR:

Greek Mercenary Peltasts

Cypriote AoR:

Greek Mercenary Hoplites

Augustus

Alavaria

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2014, 01:30:42 AM »
If there are merc units that historically were used in many areas, let me know (I think cretans for example appeared in a lot of places, not just around Crete).

I'm thinking of making a merc port (like expected for carthage) but a branching version such that other factions get perhaps more expensive merc port, with possibly a smaller selection than carthage does...

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2014, 04:25:54 PM »
If there are merc units that historically were used in many areas, let me know (I think cretans for example appeared in a lot of places, not just around Crete).

I'm thinking of making a merc port (like expected for carthage) but a branching version such that other factions get perhaps more expensive merc port, with possibly a smaller selection than carthage does...

Aye, you mean like this? ;)

http://www.exilian.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2956.0

I've discussed this with ahowl and Bercor before. Some questions remain and maybe you can shed some light on this or contribute your own opinion: Most of these mercenary centers and ports will be there at the start, so they could be unique buildings and from what I've seen in other mods that's not such a big problem. However, Sparta and the Achaian League should only get one later. So we would either need to give them a unique building option that can only be constructed once, or give them the building at the start and activate the recruiting options only through a script.

At that point, we should also consider a general mercenary center, buildable for all factions (or at least those on the list, a port respectively a center then), which would only allow access to a restricted numbers of units (the most popular mercenaries, say for instance Rhodian slingers, Cretan Archers and Thracian Swordsmen), but could be constructed everywhere.

I realise that we still haven't discussed this in full, but if implemented in the right way this will be a new and very attractive feature of our mod, so all opinions on this are welcome :)

Augustus

Alavaria

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2014, 05:51:44 PM »
Aye, you mean like this? ;)

http://www.exilian.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2956.0
Cute, but no.
At that point, we should also consider a general mercenary center, buildable for all factions (or at least those on the list, a port respectively a center then), which would only allow access to a restricted numbers of units (the most popular mercenaries, say for instance Rhodian slingers, Cretan Archers and Thracian Swordsmen), but could be constructed everywhere.
Rather more wordy, but yes.

It's possible to do it all, actually. Merc Centers (recruits local area mercs), merc port (recruits "popular" mercs from all over - requires port) and even have mercs that can only be recruited in specific areas. (No need for two different merc centers, you can use a single "merc center" that just has the special options only in the specific cities.

Carthage would probably have somewhat expanded options for merc centers and merc ports, can use the same building as other factions though.

Depending on the balancing of Allied (AOR) vs Citizen (Factional) units, it might be handy to have fast access to mercs, granted the building would be quick to build, but cost a lot of cash...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 05:57:10 PM by Alavaria »

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2014, 07:47:44 PM »
Yeah mercenaries were and thus should be really important. I can't see you disagreeing anywhere? :D It would be nice if we could make the units recruitable at the towns and for the factions I named ;)

Augustus

Alavaria

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2014, 07:49:36 PM »
Yeah mercenaries were and thus should be really important. I can't see you disagreeing anywhere? :D It would be nice if we could make the units recruitable at the towns and for the factions I named ;)
Just having some fun.

Indeed, I can actually pinpoint any single settlement, so recruitment can be tightly restricted (Campanian Cavalry) or wide (Tarantine Cavalry, Cretans :)) as needed.

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2014, 07:56:26 PM »
Very good then  :)

Augustus

Ballacraine