Author Topic: Attila: Total War announced  (Read 13555 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Attila: Total War announced
« on: September 25, 2014, 05:04:43 PM »
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2687812/hands-on-new-total-war-game-takes-on-attila-the-hun.html

Creative Assembly is putting Rome II behind it and returning to the tortured, drawn-out death throes of the Roman Empire, last explored in the original Rome: Total War's Barbarian Invasion expansion. This time, however, it's encapsulated by the warfare and wanton destruction of Attila the Hun. Total War: Attila puts players in the fifth century, attempting to rebuff Attila's campaign of terror and stave off the Dark Ages.

Or not. You can also play as any number of "barbarian" tribes, attempting to hasten the fall of both the Eastern and Western Roman Empires and claim Europe/Western Asia for your own people. I'm not sure whether you can actually play as Attila, though the way Creative Assembly phrased things it sounds like the answer is no—he's merely a threat looming on the horizon.

Here we go again! Thoughts?
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

TTG4

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Plants are my passion!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Attila: Total War announced
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 05:13:31 PM »
If I'm being pessimistic then I worry if Attila's arrival is like the Mongols in M2TW where they rock up with a far stronger army than anyone can field and generally be a pain in the ass. I won't be moving onto it anytime soon, I'm still getting my head around R2TW

Othko97

• SotK Beta
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 05:40:39 PM »
I just hope they don't mess up with the release again!
I am Othko, He who fell from the highest of places, Lord of That Bit Between High Places and Low Places Through Which One Falls In Transit Between them!

comrade_general

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 06:48:26 PM »
Still haven't advanced beyond M2TW.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 06:50:08 PM »
I still ahven't advanced beyond RTW, though I do now have a M2TW disk thanks to DD that I need to try sometime  :P
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 08:25:54 PM »
Looks good. Shame they have finished with R2 though, especially now that people started to get excited by it again thanks to EE (Emperor Edition).

As far as the choice of time period. I'm okay with it, not brilliant by a long shot but not disastrous. It does look pretty dark and grimy from the sceenies. Which is good I guess, or at least its what everyone else is doing. Which means it must be good...Right?
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

comrade_general

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 08:26:47 PM »
It's just BI all over again. :P

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 08:40:18 PM »
I don't think it will be exactly but there will definitely be similarities. ALSO right now 75% of all total war titles except for R2 (but including it's dlc iirc) on steam. If you don't have steam yet, get it and get these for ludicrous prices. I actually bought the rest of the total wars I had on disk but not steam just because they're so cheap (less than £4 for med2 with expansion).
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

comrade_general

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 09:05:40 PM »

Tom

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 11:53:00 PM »
I think that the new Attila total war should be good if CA have learnt from their mistakes and don't let Sega pressure them in to releasing it too early. To me it just looks like Rome 2 shunted forward in the time line but I'll get it for the new factions and campaign.

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 06:32:08 AM »
Gosh darn it CA, ya did eet ageen. Day 1 DLC is terrible. If you don't pre-order, the three viking factions (Danes, Jutes, G-men) will be extra upon release.

Tom

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 02:24:37 PM »
The silly thing is I will probably pre order because I really want to play as those factions.

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 09:43:22 PM »
Unfortunately so do I. I'm going to wait for a sale this time though. Perhaps pick it up in the summer sale.

Tom

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2014, 09:59:51 AM »
I don't know when I'll get it if I don't pre-order. Anyone signed up for total war arena alpha?

Gen_Glory

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 12:41:28 PM »
If I'm being pessimistic then I worry if Attila's arrival is like the Mongols in M2TW where they rock up with a far stronger army than anyone can field and generally be a pain in the ass. I won't be moving onto it anytime soon, I'm still getting my head around R2TW

you mean like in real life?

I miss the days when content was unlockable though progress and skill (or altering the descr_strat file) not though money
Tis but a scratch...