Author Topic: UK Elections 2015  (Read 32359 times)

Son of the King

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • SotK
    • Awards
Re: UK Elections 2015
« Reply #75 on: May 08, 2015, 08:09:58 PM »
I'm not particularly worried about a law 'banning encryption', it would be a complete waste of time to attempt.

Eadfrith

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2015, 08:11:07 PM »
To be honest, I kinda like the SNP. As long as they are willing to accept the result of the referendum and work within the UK, they could be a fabulous counter to the Conservative agenda. I mean, setting aside the threat to the union, which has played a crucial role in balancing the right wing over the last 100 years, their policies are pretty decent...
Blame Jubal....

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2015, 10:42:09 AM »
I feel the same, the problem is that they are clearly not willing to accept the referendum results.

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2015, 12:37:08 PM »
@Easfrith; Disagree. I can't see how they will be any sort of opposition, 56 vs 600? I doubt they have any friends south of the border after taking a lot of power from Lab and being opposed to everyone else. But we'll see I guess :)
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2015, 01:11:47 PM »
Well they can mitigate the effects of cuts in scotland which I assumed is what eadfrith meant.
Edit:
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/may/11/alan-sugar-resigns-from-labour-party-over-shift-to-left
Well hopefully this might help to galvanise labour into moving into a direction that wouldn't make me want to armadillo on my ballot paper next election.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 08:58:56 PM by Pentagathus »

Eadfrith

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: May 14, 2015, 09:52:05 AM »
My point is that, while the SNP obviously don't have enough seats to vote down legislation, what they can do is add a heck of a lot of depth and value to debate. If they can argue compelling and constructively against the right hand side of the Tories, they could significantly sway the more centre-ist members, against the whips. But that will only work if they don't alienate non-scotts MPs at Westminster by focusing on devolution to much. We need the union to moderate the right...
Blame Jubal....

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: May 14, 2015, 08:06:10 PM »
If I try to express how I currently feel about the outcome and consequences of the election, it will turn into an extended rant which is at least probably better directed where it might have some effect. Suffice it to say I am horrified, utterly horrified.

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: May 14, 2015, 10:32:44 PM »
@ pentys edit: I've been saying this will happen.

@Eadfrith: I understand. Fair points and I agree completely about the SNP, however I have a sneaking suspicion we'll likely disagree as to what is a compelling argument. In my opinion, the unions have had their day though. I agree wholeheartedly they were needed before, but not in 2015. Unless you're talking about something else. In which case the comment is irrelevant.

@G, go for a rant if you feel like it, likely my dumbass self will be your only opposition but hey if you don't take someones political affiliation personally I'm quite happy to argue. Or if you like I can shut up and you can have an echo chamber :P Think things over here to get your wording right or whatever for when you do write about it where it'll have an effect. Or don't, entirely up to you. Just saying you won't be judged here, at least not by me.
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2015, 06:26:20 PM »
@G, go for a rant if you feel like it,
It happened; it's on Facebook. I can repost it here if people don't mind a huge slab of text.

if you like I can shut up and you can have an echo chamber :P
It would be hypocritical of me to ask you to shut up, given that one of the major concerns here is freedom of speech. I want a debating chamber, not an echo chamber. In any case, I would very much like to understand more about the position of Conservative voters. I have some questions, but they're probably best going in the Human Rights thread that's now in progress.

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2015, 07:11:02 PM »
There's freedom of speech sure, you just as rightly have the freedom to ask me to not post as I have the freedom to either do as you ask or ignore it. And I'm quite happy to stay out of whatever anyone asks, I am well aware my personal politics are.... shall we say, abrasive? :P

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: May 16, 2015, 01:17:57 AM »
you just as rightly have the freedom to ask me to not post
I have, but why should I use it? That wouldn't help either of us in understanding each other. I expect I disagree with you on quite a lot of things, but we should still be able to discuss them civilly.

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: May 16, 2015, 01:27:25 PM »
We certainly can :)

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2015, 02:13:47 AM »
Just found this. Well...Dodger made a vid and I got the link from there. Gamification, yay.
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/SeanOxspring/20150529/244659/Natural_Election_An_attempt_to_gameify_GE2015_in_7_days.php

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: June 02, 2015, 11:15:34 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-32970337

Sad news today - former Lib Dem leader Charles Kennedy dies, just a few weeks after seeing his successor bugger up most of his life's work :(
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: July 16, 2015, 04:46:44 PM »
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...