Author Topic: Browser/Text empire building pitch thread  (Read 3141 times)

BrokenIronSights

• Spears of Arda Mod
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Browser/Text empire building pitch thread
« on: March 14, 2015, 11:19:30 AM »
Hey guys! Haven't seen a thread in regards to this/these games in particular, and they're ones I genuinly enjoy playing.
(I'm aware of the internet game thread, I would just like to see a more "empire management / text based" specific thread.)

First off, we have Illyriad.

This is a free to play, high fantasy, city building browser game with more depth than any of its kind. The community is the most new user friendly I've ever seen, and the "pay to win" really doesn't exist. Yes you can pay to speed things up, but it's only by a %. The "Prestige" as it's called lets you speed up building, trading, troop movements, and continue a "Premium" account status. They dish out one Prestige point every 24 hours, etc... If you log in 5 days a week you can keep your premium status forever.

Low points:
- Fairly slow paced: at first it can take only 30 seconds to build something to level 1. However as you progress it can be quite awe inspiring as you see, later on, that it takes even up to 30 days to unlock tech.
- Very little graphics: If you like watching the epic clash of armies, this isn't the game for you. However I almost see this as a plus as it lets you truly feel like the ruler of a kingdom, as logistics are the focus of the game.

High points:
- Super friendly community: Simply by saying "Hi, I'm new here." you'll have people sending you resources left and right to more quickly build up your city,
- New player friendly: Noobie smashing is generally frowned uppon my the community, and if it happens you'll be helped back onto your feet in no time.
- Fairly slow pased: Though it might seem like a low point for some, the games pace allows you to not have to constantly be watching your faction, though I have been the past few days, and if you're attacked you have plently of time to call for/ recieve aid from your alliance/ other players.
- Not your standard fantasy setting: Though the races that might seem familar, each has their own flavor that makes the setting fairly unique.
- Not Pay-to-Win: As I mentioned, the game doen't use the standard "pay for coins, this happens instantly and 10x more powerful" model when it comes to its currency.

Now I'll be honest, that link is a recruitment link and I will be slightly rewarded if you play the game. HOWEVER in order for that to happen you have to invest a decent amount of time into the game. Even if the game didn't have a referal link system, I'd still be writing this thread. I feel like this game could capture the imagination/attention of many of Exilian's members. If you DO decide to give the game a try, please use the provided link and add "Errik" to your friends list. I'll be happy to share what I've learned and what I have to help you on your way.

Much love,
Jeff

P.S. I will add more games I play as time goes on, I'm also looking for more games of this type (preferably without the pay to win model.) Feel free to add (referal) links to the thread so we can all benefit from this. Just be sure to explain what the game's about.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 12:15:55 AM by BrokenIronSights »
I miss my Orks!

Something tells me they don't miss me..

Listening to the hate they've created inside us, we grow.
As we reduce their religion to bones.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Browser/Text empire building pitch thread
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 10:20:06 PM »
Have you ever seen Raiders and Traders? It's bloody terrible, but it was my attempt at a text based city builder which I made a few years back. Had a bunch of plans to develop it to a level where player interaction could happen, but didn't get that far in the end.

I imagine that I'd probably really enjoy this sort of thing, but I avoid social online games at the moment simply because I can't afford any more time-sinks, I'm precariously juggling all my commitments as it is :/
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

BrokenIronSights

• Spears of Arda Mod
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 12:15:14 AM »
I definitly understand that, I run into the same problem more often then not. It tends to lead me to cut ties with things of minor or non-essential interest. Luckily for me this forum is in my top three. :) Though I've sunk more than enough time into it, it's such a casual game you can sink about 5-10 minutes a day and not miss much. If you ever want to give it a try please do, I find it very enjoyable so far. MUCH more depth than I've ever seen with similar games.

p.s. Never did see that one. :o
I miss my Orks!

Something tells me they don't miss me..

Listening to the hate they've created inside us, we grow.
As we reduce their religion to bones.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 02:13:02 AM »
http://www.exilian.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=16.0

It's ancient and only works on internet explorer and is buggy as hell, but if you fancy having a go then feel free :P

I'm keeping up with most things within my top 10-12, but that leaves another 8-10 I'm behind with, at a guess... Doing things regularly every day is something I'm awful at, too. I will flit between tasks as they come into my brain, but one of my biggest weaknesses is forgetting things that never get to the surface. This often includes sleep or food, neither of which are good things to miss!
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...