Author Topic: Pledge Break: A Classic Doctor Who (and history!) Podcast  (Read 3730 times)

James Holloway

• Non-Citizen Organisers
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Pledge Break: A Classic Doctor Who (and history!) Podcast
« on: December 10, 2015, 09:48:12 AM »
So I started a podcast. It's about classic Doctor Who, specifically but not exclusively as it relates to history. It's called Pledge Breal. and you can find it at this link here.

My cohost and I are old fans of the show and have related but generally-non-overlapping areas of nerdery, but one thing neither of us really know about is the podcast genre itself. I feel like I'm improving in technical terms (the mixing on episode 3 is better, for instance), but I'm sure there are still things missing. Comments, criticism, etc. warmly welcomed.

And of course if this isn't the right forum for a podcast, please do let me know!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 11:17:58 PM by James Holloway »

Flamekebab

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Podcasts: correct forum?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 02:38:27 PM »
I just opened it up and skipped through the first and latest episodes and have a techy recommendation to make - if possible record your audio locally and then glue the two files together after the fact (rather than recording the massively compressed VoIP stream). After the very clear intro music the change in audio quality was extremely jarring!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 09:23:18 PM »
On an admin note, here is fine, we also have a Doctor Who section which it might fit better in?
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

James Holloway

• Non-Citizen Organisers
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 07:57:07 PM »
I just opened it up and skipped through the first and latest episodes and have a techy recommendation to make - if possible record your audio locally and then glue the two files together after the fact (rather than recording the massively compressed VoIP stream). After the very clear intro music the change in audio quality was extremely jarring!

You are the second person to recommend this to me, and I will definitely give it a try. The only thing I can say is that we're currently recorded pretty far in advance of what we're putting out, so don't expect the change to be immediate! Unless we pre-empt episode 5 for a yet-to-be-recorded holiday special, that is.

I really do appreciate the feedback, by the way -- one of the reasons I started doing this was just to learn how.

James Holloway

• Non-Citizen Organisers
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 07:57:37 PM »
On an admin note, here is fine, we also have a Doctor Who section which it might fit better in?

Whichever you think is best! I will go peruse that forum.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 10:36:12 PM »
I'll leave it here for now, purely because it's more likely to get seen here on a higher-level forum :)

Also, topic title changed to reflect actual content of thread.

I'll try and get round to having a listen soon, currently flailing around reading about demon pigs for an essay (no really). There's not much in the DW forum, alas - like much of the site at the moment it needs a bit more love. :/
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 10:43:15 PM by Jubal »
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

James Holloway

• Non-Citizen Organisers
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Pledge Break: A Classic Doctor Who (and history!) Podcast
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 11:14:36 PM »
Well, when you do get around to listening, there'll be another episode for you to ... enjoy?

http://pledgebreak.libsyn.com/pledge-break-episode-four-the-masque-of-mandragora

James Holloway

• Non-Citizen Organisers
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Pledge Break: A Classic Doctor Who (and history!) Podcast
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 10:22:28 AM »
We've just completed our first seven-episode season, and we're now on iTunes if you like that sort of thing:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/pledge-break/id1071711213