Author Topic: Computer woes  (Read 12375 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Computer woes
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2016, 11:32:24 PM »
Yet another update!

Got a £90 motherboard repair done on the old computer (The Machine, as I call it), so it's working again now. The guy in the shop didn't tell me exactly what the repair done was and I've not used that place before so not sure how long it will last. Still leaning towards getting a new computer rather than trying to keep this as my main machine, though, given it's getting on a bit and I don't want to go through this again in a few months when I'm writing up my dissertation. I'm going to mull it over for a day or two then probably order something in the next week or so.

@SdS: That's a fair shout, I suspect I do want the power to be portable - as I'm likely to be moving several times in the next 2-3 years and I'm often having to move my desk across the country (when I visit family for example) I think running a laptop as an all purpose machine probably makes more sense :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Gmd

• The one and only
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Quack
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2016, 02:27:34 AM »
I hate computers yet love them
Bunneh and I Rule this land in the name of Supreme Lord Krishna.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") 

Give me my green name back!!! I am always Logothetes

comrade_general

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2016, 03:21:49 AM »
They play rtw and that's something.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2016, 11:43:47 AM »
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...