Author Topic: Chibnall to replace Moffat as of Season 11  (Read 2340 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Chibnall to replace Moffat as of Season 11
« on: January 22, 2016, 11:45:29 PM »
It's official, the Grand Moff is leaving Doctor Who as of Season 11. Admittedly Season 11 will be shown in 2018, but it's apparently now set in stone that this will happen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/entries/55e94ef2-0282-494f-a62c-82bd514f02fe

His replacement is Chris Chibnall, who was showrunner for Broadchurch, and has written Doctor Who episodes including The Power of Three, 42, and Dinosaurs On A Spaceship.

Here's an interesting post on the subject from the Timelines blog, by someone who knew Chibnall back in the 80s: http://timelinesdw.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/steven-moffats-long-goodbye-chris.html?spref=fb

Thoughts anyone?
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

comrade_general

Re: Chibnall to replace Moffat as of Season 11
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 12:03:32 AM »
Don't pay any attention to showrunners, just watch the shows, any shows.

In fact I don't know of any other shows that pay much attention to their "runners" besides ones that were created and run by the same guy, i.e. X-Files, Breaking Bad, etc. Even then they weren't that mainstream compared to the actual show.

There was Gene Roddenberry, creator of Star Trek, but after he died nobody paid much attention to the showrunners.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 12:13:32 AM by comrade_general »

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 01:29:37 AM »
Could always just finish it. Let it hiatus for another 20 years or so that'd be my vote.

I haven't liked it since Tennant though. Nothing against the actors but the plots and the writing has been rubbish.
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 10:37:07 AM »
I think DW the show runners make more difference than in other shows, to be fair, because the format is so variable as are the storylines. There's very little core stuff that a show runner has to do, so they can take it in more different directions.

I don't think it's hiatus time; audience figures are still OK, if not what they once were, and we have had some very good episodes the last two seasons. My hope would be that Chibnall shifts the focus back to episodes and having nicely crafted sets of stories, Moffat focusses very hard on series level plot arcs and that can get tired after a while and if it goes badly it drags the whole season down.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...