Author Topic: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice  (Read 3306 times)

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
« on: March 26, 2016, 11:39:28 PM »

No spoilers in this post.

First off, the action was phenomenal. If you want to see spectacle and visual FX this movie has it in spades, possibly the best ever. Unfortunately, for me anyway, the movie did not deliver on a cohesive story and when the movie did try that it did so clumsily half the time. The film suffered from being too short, or trying to do too much too quickly. There are a lot of what seem to be either cut or perhaps purposefully fragmented scenes, if it's the former, I go back to it being too short and if the latter then I'd say it's bad editing/directing.

Ben Affleck as Batman and Wayne was fantastic in both roles. He must have bulked up a ton for this role and looks like he could very well go toe-to-toe with the man of steel, gadgets or no. His bat-suit is the best of any batman movie hands down and he used gadgets and weapons ton which is fair enough considering who he's up against but his stand-out scene is when he's fighting unarmed, Synder is just fantastic at making the fight scenes look like they really goddamn hurt. As far as character development goes for batman, I think they did great for the time the film spent on him. The opening scene does a fantastic job of setting up motivation for the movies premise which takes about 15 mins maybe. He has some weird scenes but I can't go into that without a spoiler tag.

Cavill once again plays a great Superman, no surprise there the guy is fantastic, and layers a lot more character on top of what he did in Man of Steel. Once again his morality is more ambiguous than the comics or other portrayals but it's just another direction to go with him, I don't mind it at all as I've never really liked pure white-knight characters anyway. But I understand that a lot of fans are still annoyed about that.

Jesse Eisenberg was horrendously miscast though. I think that his was the weakest performance by far, I wasn't a fan of how he portrays Lex it's almost like they wanted to cast someone as Joker but didn't want to be compared to the Nolan movies. He plays the character like he's moderately insane, a few ticks and thoughts getting out of control but with logical motivations and goals as opposed to Jokers wanton mayhem.

The other characters did fine, Amy Adams had a decent amount of screen time and did fine as an intrepid reporter, repeatedly moving the plot forwards and cluing the audience in on what's going on. Gal Gadot looked amazing as Wonder Woman, her scenes were brief but she's got screen presence but I could probably write a paragraph or two on her character despite this because you get a good sense of who her character is from the nuance.

However there are plot holes which are blindingly obvious, it's annoying because it seems like there's a lot of other material to play with rather than trying to shoehorn something which doesn't fit and doesn't quite make sense. Despite this, the amount of nuance in this film altogether is, in my opinion, highly underrated. There are so many visual and atmospheric clues in this film as to whats been going on in this DC universe. Snyder isn't a director known for light touches and fairly so, but he is good at painting a picture with very few strokes. It really, really pays to keep a sharp eye open or perhaps another viewing.

On the whole, I liked the movie but I'd really like to love it.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 11:49:02 PM by Clockwork »
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

comrade_general

Re: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 11:46:25 PM »
How many times do I have to tell you - I'm batman.

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 11:49:43 PM »
Different universe, this one has you and the cinema universe has Affleck ;)
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 12:55:45 PM »
I feel I should watch more superhero movies. I just never get to cinemas to do so :/
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

comrade_general

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 02:07:08 PM »
Different universe, this one has you and the cinema universe has Affleck ;)
But Ben is just an actor playing a role. The role of Batman. I'm Batman. In all universes.

Gmd

• The one and only
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Quack
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 04:12:37 AM »
I plan to see it soon. Mainly seeing it as i want to see Affleck's batman and i've got the hots for Gal Gadot.
Main issues i have going in is the terrible reviews its getting putting me off and that i wasn't the biggest fan of man of steel. I liked Cavill's superman, i just dislike the superhero in general. Also the final act of that film is stupid and they don't address any of it in the film (i hear they do in this one). I also feel that the trailers have spoiled a bit too much for me and from the trailers i already dislike Jessie's Lex and think hes miscast same as you.
My friend whose seen it says its good just not amazing and that it looks like its been "edited by a 10 year old".
I'll give my opinion when i've seen it :P

If you haven't seen this yet (unlikely) give it a watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwXfv25xJUw

Bunneh and I Rule this land in the name of Supreme Lord Krishna.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") 

Give me my green name back!!! I am always Logothetes

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 12:03:09 PM »
Yep, seen that. It has got to suck when you've put so much effort into something for critics to say it's armadillo.

Gmd

• The one and only
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Quack
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 03:43:10 PM »
I know i feel so bad for him. Though he hear hes the best part of the movie so there's that :P
Bunneh and I Rule this land in the name of Supreme Lord Krishna.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") 

Give me my green name back!!! I am always Logothetes