Author Topic: What video games are you playing?  (Read 26065 times)

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
What video games are you playing?
« on: May 10, 2016, 02:20:25 PM »

What are you playing at the moment?

I keep a few going at a time, Dawn of War: Soulstorm, Might and Magic VIII, Overwatch, beta stops today :( and Heroes of the Storm.
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: What video games are you playing?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 07:05:41 PM »
How good is Soulstorm? I have Dark Crusade, which I play occasionally and quite enjoy, I doubt I'd play the extra soulstorm factions but having the fliers seems interesting.

Anyhow, in my case I'm not getting as much time for gaming as I'd like (usual story). Last things I did were messing around with the Isles of Arthanos beta, and did a Dark Crusade game a week or so back. It always strikes me with these games just how much time I'd actually need to put in to be any good at playing them, I'm a hopeless gamer really!
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 07:35:20 PM »
The new factions are pretty good; SoB use a ton of flames which makes tactics a challenge as they lack the diversity of regular SMs and DE are a nightmare to face with low morale troops thanks to some buildings. The flyers are horrible though, they basically work as a tank that sits in the air, not fun to play with or against. Dark Crusade is definitely the best version of DoW1 but I finished that with all races already so I thought I'd try out the new things in Soulstorm.

Hell I play games all the time and I'm still...all right at most, nowhere near the levels of pros. Low diamond skill level in MOBAs though so I'm pretty good at those.
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 09:12:35 PM »
Hm, might give it a miss then. I only like playing as IG and T'au much in any case! I tend to find with RTS games, whilst I enjoy toddling through mid range difficulty or occasionally hard difficulty games, that I'm just not quick or aggressive enough to beat even higher level AIs let along humans. Turn based games I often take to rather better.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 11:26:18 PM »
That's how I play RTS as well, I prefer doing things like massing Inf or creating a balanced force than using the best units. I keep getting told off by my teammates for taking talents in HotS that I think are more thematic/fit an RP/fit the lore than practical ones :P

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 09:12:37 AM »
I like to colonise islands and build settlements gland whatnot instead of just aggressively building up my military to smash armadillo up. Which isn't a great tactic in most strategy games. But I don't generally play colonisation games where there is noone to crush under my boots.
Age  of wonders 3 (and its previous games) is a very good strategy game

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 10:56:24 AM »
I have genuinely been known to play an RTS game nearly to the point of winning, shut the remaining AI stuff behind a big old wall, and then just get on with turning the map into a civilised agricultural paradise :p

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 02:38:51 PM »
I want to get Age of Wonders, I've heard it's like one of my all time favourites, Heroes of Might and Magic III.

Lol Jub :P

Othko97

• SotK Beta
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 11:02:52 AM »
At the minute I'm mostly playing Eurotruck Simulator 2. It really helps remove the exam stress, plus it's the best game for listening to audiobooks/podcasts.
I am Othko, He who fell from the highest of places, Lord of That Bit Between High Places and Low Places Through Which One Falls In Transit Between them!

Koobazaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Koobazaur's Domain
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 06:39:21 PM »
Never played Age of Wonders (I suck at RTSes) but always loved Civilization :P

To fill my quaint internet-less nights after putting kids in bed, I recently started on Lionheart and, dear god, I can't remember the last time I spent 8hrs straight playing a game. Not even Witcher 3. Needless to say, I am completely hooked.

I literally knew nothing about the game going in and was pleasantly surprised it's based entirely on real European medieval history, but with the typical Fantasy spin. So cue the great crusades being put to fighting undead hordes and the Inquisition persecuting magical users. Taking place in Barcelona I already met Da Vinci and am currently trying to help Shakespear write his next play :) And heard several mentions of the hertical England actually - GASP - using magic! The Queen must bleed for this.

That being said, it does suffer from the "oldus gamus" syndrome like crappy interface where simple design choices could have made things SO much easier (why oh why can't I have more quick-item/spell slots or see map markers on the minimap? and why are the inventory item images so goddamn huge??) The most annoying is being unable to make actions when paused; the cursor is way too finicky so sometimes you end up dancing around a moving enemy than actually hitting him.

Also found it a bit odd the game seems to be using DnD rules with a far more fast-paced Diablo-esque gameplay. But I am glad it's the latter and after getting used to some of the kinks I'm actually really enjoying playing my Thiefy Necromancer with a badass Crossbow :D Here's my Party:

Except the bear, who kept getting mauled all the time so I just stopped bothering to reload. portugal bears.

Also, Goblin Poetry:

Check out my upcoming Indie Game Karaski:What Goes Up... - You're one of five suspects of a sabotage onboard a 1920s Slavic Airship. Find the culprit or confess your crime in an open-ended, detective adventure game.

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2016, 07:55:24 PM »
Lionheart is one of my all time favourites, some of the voice acting is phenomenal (Torquemada, Da Vinci and Galileo for me) and the setting (as you've described) is superb.

The ruleset is actually based on Fallouts S.P.E.C.I.A.L since the same guys made both LH and FO with their most recent games being Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity.

Nice to see someone else enjoying this gem of a game :D

Switched games to Throne of Darkness, a diablo-esque game where you master 7 samurai, each with different strengths. To control them, 4 samurai are used simultaneously while 3 are left in the dojo. Also I started another character in Shadowrun: Hong Kong because I haven't played through the extended edition yet. This time rolled a straight up street samurai using a crappy SMG and battered katana to cleave through goons while my team provides all the useful skills.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 08:04:15 PM by Clockwork »

Koobazaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Koobazaur's Domain
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2016, 10:12:55 AM »

Well, I am back to Lionheart after the travel haitus. Hit a big boss at the end of Nostradamus caves which is a bitch since there is no way around it but fighting. Decided to wait until I level up a bit.

I got about 100 skill points still unused I dont know where to sink it in. Considering between sinking them all into Tribal Domination so I can slow down or possess enemies, Fortitude which would buff my undead, or Protective branch that'd give me some nice boosts + ring of cold damaging everyone around me. Tho I've been experimenting with all of those and frankly they all seem kinda crappy. It's like using up 100 skill points for a crappy 10% boost in one stat... didn't seem to make much difference. Dominance is the only one that seems useful with slow down enemy by 50% or having 25% chance of turning one into my ally...
Check out my upcoming Indie Game Karaski:What Goes Up... - You're one of five suspects of a sabotage onboard a 1920s Slavic Airship. Find the culprit or confess your crime in an open-ended, detective adventure game.

DeepCandle Games

• RPG author and big nerd
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Aspiring TTRPG Writer
    • View Profile
    • My Ko-Fi Shop-front!
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2016, 10:40:06 AM »
been playing lots of KAG and a few others
I write many projects focused around RPGs and rules expansions!

If you'd like to support me you can buy (or download for free) my finished work from https://ko-fi.com/nanoteq_rpg or play-test them with me on my discord!

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2016, 10:28:14 PM »
I want to get Age of Wonders, I've heard it's like one of my all time favourites, Heroes of Might and Magic III.
I too have heard this although I've never played HoMaM. Also its very good.

Lady Grey

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2016, 10:54:31 PM »
I'm currently playing TES: Oblivion and TES: Skyrim, it feels like it's been a while since we have, but SotK and I play Civ. V and Age of Empires II a lot together.
I really want The Sims 4 as well because we've been watching a YT channel called The Sim Supply loads. :P