Author Topic: What video games are you playing?  (Read 25942 times)

Koobazaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Koobazaur's Domain
    • Awards
Re: What video games are you playing?
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2016, 05:28:01 AM »
Decided to pick up the original Quake during the Steam Summer Sale, particularly after finding original Doom really fun (two decades after its prime time heh). So far, it hasn't really grabbed me like Doom did, just lacked the "fun" factor.

BUT I just re-set it up with darkplaces sourceport so I can actually have the soundtrack playing (original Steam version doesn't have it), so I'm looking forward to re-trying it proper.
Check out my upcoming Indie Game Karaski:What Goes Up... - You're one of five suspects of a sabotage onboard a 1920s Slavic Airship. Find the culprit or confess your crime in an open-ended, detective adventure game.

comrade_general

« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2016, 12:13:30 PM »
Quake III Arena always had a good fun factor.

Flamekebab

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2016, 03:57:08 PM »
Quake 3 could never hold a candle to Unreal Tournament in my eyes.

Koobazaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Koobazaur's Domain
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2016, 08:35:09 AM »
Ya agreed. Always been UT fan as well, especially the very first one. But I never got into the original Unreal. Just didn't grab me. I enjoyed Doom more
Check out my upcoming Indie Game Karaski:What Goes Up... - You're one of five suspects of a sabotage onboard a 1920s Slavic Airship. Find the culprit or confess your crime in an open-ended, detective adventure game.

Flamekebab

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2016, 10:39:26 AM »
I've been playing HunieCam Studio. It's actually fairly fun and it only cost me £1.70. Not bad for the four hours I've played it.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2016, 11:55:19 PM »
Did a complete run of pixel dungeon today (playing on my tablet for a bit because typing was getting painful): it's a darn good game (and rewarding when one completes it!)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Lady Grey

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2016, 02:42:40 PM »
Started a new single-player Minecraft world in the latest version. :)

Koobazaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Koobazaur's Domain
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2016, 07:01:11 PM »

I just finished the first two acts of Kentucky Route Zero aaaannd... I don't feel it. I mean, it's beautifully cinematic, the visuals are starking, the audio is deeply atmospheric, even the UI is done very cleverly... but the contents of it all just aren't interesting me. I don't know if I missed some really important plot points, or some greater life-allegory is eluding me, but I just feel like I am getting small little quips of random slices-of-life without any real reason or logic to it. Why do I care about this little boy flying on his eagle? Why did I have to venture all the way to this house just to exchange two lines of dialogue with a woman I know nothing about and haven't met since?

I do like how the game lets you tell your own story in a lot of places by choosing between seemingly contradictory options ("how is your leg?" - "it's fine" vs "it's stuck") but so far I haven't seen any repercussions of my choices (aside from the leg, which im not even sure can be impacted), so it feels a little bit like fluff.

The level of polish is definitely astounding, but it's like a beautiful wrapper that hides a mediocre gift. I guess it really is more of a visual novel than a game you just need to sink in and enjoy like you would a book. But I guess countryside escapades just aren't a type of a book I would read :/

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2016, 12:27:20 AM »
Still playing Mass Effect... Also finally got around to playing Fallout 4 which is so far so meh.

It's a good shooter with levelling up mechanics but sucks ass as an open world RPG. Still, Anna is doing well for herself. Has an outfit styled on Sandman from DC comics
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and looks pretty badass. Been knocking down a suburb so I can rebuild it which is more fun than actually doing whatever the main story is.
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Flamekebab

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2016, 07:35:21 PM »
That sounds about like my experience with it so far. I'm not too bothered about the main plot but setting up my own empire of settlements is scratching my gaming itch nicely.

Koobazaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Koobazaur's Domain
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2016, 06:11:19 PM »
Just started playing Quake II after getting it on the last steam sale and enjoying it much more than the first. I don't know if it's because it has more story making it more "meaningful," a bit more realism (somewhat plausible alien base, believable solider weaponry, zomg recoil!) or if it's just better "game feel." Either way, it's very rewading when I just want to turn my brain off for a bit and shoot crap in the face :)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2016, 11:54:27 PM »
Been doing a lot of runs through the demo of Bigosaur's game, it's pretty fun :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Koobazaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Koobazaur's Domain
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2016, 11:50:11 PM »

I've been craving replaying Final Fantasy 7 or 9 lately, but decided to try something new and picked up Grandia II Anniversary Edition. I'm two hours in and ugh I don't know if I can continue. It's the most generic JRPG experience ever. Generic Good vs. Evil plot, generic annoying male "im too cool" protagonist arguing with female lead before inevitably falling in love with her, generic starting village and evil forest, generic music, generic voice speech and voice acting...

I mean, christ, even the first evil demon is a goddamn fan service

I switched to Japanese voices and dear lord, she actually says "Kawaii" in a cutesy schoolgirl voice within a minute of showing up...

The combat is at least a bit wee interesting with timing and cancels, but leveling up and skills seem like they'll go down generic jrpg battle route.

It also made me think how the FF series really excel at great openings. From FF6s Magitek March, through FF7s bombing terrorist run or FF9s kidnapping of a princess. It makes you want to keep playing. Here, you just plop in boring village with no incentive to explore or follow on your "first job." Bleh. But hey, Geohound (the protagonist jobs) is kinda like a JRPG version of a Witcher, heh.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 12:24:35 AM by Koobazaur »

Koobazaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Koobazaur's Domain
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2016, 02:04:03 AM »
I started on Two Worlds Epic Edition and dear lord the voice acting is cringe worthy ;p The mechanics are also a bit clunky, but I'll give it more time.

I just realized all 3 of the past RPGs I played were a fantasy fair starring a bounty hunter protagonist (Witcher 3, Grandia II and now this). Whats up with all the bounty hunters...

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2016, 03:31:33 PM »
Is Two Worlds more Gothica or more Elder Scrolls? Always been interested in getting it but always had something else on the go.

Been playing loads more HotS, always seem to be on my Diamond promotion game. Aside from that, Hard West (which I must write about) is fantastic, more Oblivion, more SWTOR again and every now and then, King Arthur 2 (More modern Medieval 2 Total War with monsters and heroes).
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.