Author Topic: Mapping Department Organization Thread  (Read 26986 times)

Muizer

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Mapping Department Organization Thread
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2017, 10:06:44 PM »
So as promised a little screen. Beware, this is still with uniformal climates and groundtypes, so not much to look  at except to get a sense of the scale. This is maximally zoomed out.

Vrosivs Avgvstvs Rakvs

• A Bustle in Your Hedgerow
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2017, 12:46:48 AM »
The grandeur of the map... I love it! Great job, M!
Rome Total Realism Project Dev Team Member and  Head of Public Relations
RTR VII Beta Tester/Dev Team Member
-----------------------------------------
"Coasting through the intermission that separates day from day, I find myself feeling oddly at peace with reality. Despite everything, I think life will workout in the end. The world, as as I see it is a remarkable place." - DukeCanada, the interstellar wanderer.
Proud patron of Aule_the_creator

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2017, 10:39:59 PM »
Lovely work :) (And yay, pictures I can put in newsletters to help plug you guys!)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Muizer

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2017, 12:08:16 AM »
Wouldn't publish anything untill it's done. The map has bugs that I've so far been unable to fix. May even have to go back to the drawing board on the whole thing......

Vrosivs Avgvstvs Rakvs

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2017, 12:12:18 AM »
Can you elaborate on the bugs?
"Coasting through the intermission that separates day from day, I find myself feeling oddly at peace with reality. Despite everything, I think life will workout in the end. The world, as as I see it is a remarkable place." - DukeCanada, the interstellar wanderer.

Muizer

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2017, 12:37:28 PM »
Scrolling CTD in a couple of places. They appear as soon as I add the features map. As there is nothing wrong with that map technically, the most plausible explanation is that it has to do with pathfinding.

From there on it becomes quite speculative. The consensus on this kind of issue is that very large regions are to blame and splitting them up can resolve the issue. I don't think this is quite true, but there can certainly be issues with capitals being too far from their nearest neighbour. They will not see, or be seen by, their neighbours. If, furthermore, there are obstacles (rivers) in the way, a crash may result.

Vrosivs Avgvstvs Rakvs

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2017, 02:38:29 PM »
Thanks for clarifying!
Although I am the biggest mapping amateur, I can safely say that I'm sure it's not due to very large regions. Last month I've made a very crude map with 182 regions, and one of them that I used for Terra Incognita takes up 40-50% of the entire map (which is 156x255 in map_regions), yet the map works without crashes. So I'd say the problem is elsewhere, but I'm really not qualified to estimate where exactly. Fingers crossed you find the culprit!

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2017, 06:25:39 AM »
I'm also hoping this could be resolved. There seems to be so much unwanted land especially in the north. Isn't there a way to condense this?
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2017, 06:39:09 AM »
Actually, Muizer can you please get on slack tomorrow? I have a plan for a better map if this one proves to be futile. It'd greatly reduce the amount of empty land.
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

Muizer

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2017, 03:02:53 PM »
Well after many trials and tribulations I think I've resolved the issues. It's still a bit of guess work but I think there were two separate ones, of which one is the norther expanse. As Vrosius points out, a huge region should not be a problem per se (we have one for the Sahara too) but combining it with lots of rivers seems to be too much to ask. So, I took those out.

Anyway, happy to hear other suggestions, although this map layout was actually chosen expressly to condense areas away from the map center. Coverage would be fine, if it weren't for the couple of regions in the top right corner responsible for stretching the map north.

I'll get on slack later today. Need to get some fresh air and shopping first...............

Vrosivs Avgvstvs Rakvs

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2017, 04:15:00 PM »
Well after many trials and tribulations I think I've resolved the issues. It's still a bit of guess work but I think there were two separate ones, of which one is the norther expanse. As Vrosius points out, a huge region should not be a problem per se (we have one for the Sahara too) but combining it with lots of rivers seems to be too much to ask. So, I took those out.

Anyway, happy to hear other suggestions, although this map layout was actually chosen expressly to condense areas away from the map center. Coverage would be fine, if it weren't for the couple of regions in the top right corner responsible for stretching the map north.

I'll get on slack later today. Need to get some fresh air and shopping first...............

Great job man! Glad you worked it out  ;D

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2017, 03:24:28 PM »
Hey muizer, when you see this please get on slack, I was able to give a visual of my idea

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2017, 04:49:31 PM »
Muizer, if you check this today please get on slack

Muizer

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2017, 06:30:39 PM »
Well I'm there now. Don't know for how long though........

Muizer

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2017, 07:39:12 PM »
Hey all, I promised Ahowl a roadmap for the map.

I currently have a version of the map that consists of the following elements
- A regions map that I expect to be close to the one that will eventually be implemented.
- A ground types map that is a basic division between land, beach and sea.
- A an overlay of the infrastructure of the map at ground types resolution.
- A features map with corresponding fords.
- A placeholder climates map.
- A nearly finished height map.
- A descr_strat from which I have removed everything with a coordinate, except a leader for each faction.

My current project is to build the actual climates map. Technically, that's not a very critical or demanding task per se. The main job will be the coding that's involved in redefining some of the existing climates. I will put that off until later, as it does not impact the map functionality.

At this point, I should have everything I need to build the ground types map, which will be the next phase.

After that, everything that has a coordinate to it will need to be transferred to the new map. Everything that gets added that needs to move will have to be placed on the tiles of the infrastructure and settlements I referred to earlier. If we stick to that, further developments of the map on one hand and its coding on the other should in most cases be able to proceed without conflict.

Finally, there's going to be a lot of testing. Part of the charm of data based mapping, is that once everything comes together, the variety of localities created is greater than any paint job could ever achieve, but with it comes the risk of unforeseen problems. I'm trying to preempt them more than I ever have, but I am under no illusion that it will all be smooth sailing. If not for technical issues, then  because  we're bound to find that the historically sound disposition of things will be beyond the capabilities of the AI in some cases. 

Timeframes? I aim to have a map ready to be populated before the summer.