Author Topic: Jub tries tutoring  (Read 2007 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Jub tries tutoring
« on: February 05, 2017, 12:24:19 AM »
As says on tin, I am now running a one-man tutoring business and needed somewhere to rant about it a bit :P

I've got one tutee I've started working with now, who's doing some GCSE (done aged 15-16 for you non-Brits) coursework on the New Deal in the USA. It's a really tricky thing to help with - it's a controlled assessment so I can't see his work directly, and he doesn't have much past essay work so working on his prose style is going to be tricky to say the least. His teachers have I think fed him strong advice to argue that the New Deal was a success, but they don't seem to have told him what criteria to set by which to judge that. He's also got a fairly pre-set essay structure of "good stuff then bad stuff" which is really hard to make flow nicely. The range of sources he can quote is pre-set, and includes (by design) far too many things from modern educators (which shouldn't need quoting as they only contain background knowledge) and some egregiously bad material which is there presumably in order to force some source analysis.

The tutee seems a capable guy, and I hope we can do some good work, but this has certainly been an eye-opening crunch into how GCSE history works from a teacher's perspective, and how maddening some of the ways it's done are. I've got an A Level student lined up in a couple of weeks doing Russian stuff, which should hopefully be more fun though I'm going to need to give myself a crash course on the Russian revolution and civil war again first...
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Jub tries tutoring
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 05:32:01 AM »
good luck dude!
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 01:52:37 PM »
Thanks! It's good to be making some actual money, though if I count all the hours spent so far I don't think it averages to minimum wage including travel & preparation time... ah well!
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 12:30:55 PM »
You'll be swimming in the bear dollar soon enough no doubt. Or not.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 01:05:12 PM »
Well, it adds up pretty quickly - I think I'd need to do 8hrs a week to be making enough to pay my way - but given each hour of tuition can mean up to 4-5 times that in prep and travel, that would be me basically working full time. And the work is obviously not that reliable either.

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 02:42:59 PM »
Kill all the other tutors in your area and raise prices. Classic businesses tactic I learnt from breaking bad.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 06:47:56 PM »
This is just getting me to imagine a reverse of BB where a criminal mastermind and meth cooking expert gets cancer, has a midlife crisis, and becomes a schoolteacher instead :P