Author Topic: Money, Money, Money  (Read 2350 times)

stormwell

• View Profile
    • Utherwald Press
    • Awards
Money, Money, Money
« on: May 24, 2017, 10:02:57 AM »
As Frozen Skies nears completion, I'm gonna take a closer look at small details of the setting to flesh things out a little for those who have picked up the Setting Primer. This is mainly intended to tie people over until the main book is released, also to see how the proposed coinage system works.

http://www.utherwaldpress.com/2017/05/money-money-money.html

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Money, Money, Money
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 01:58:22 PM »
Re gold & mining - I presume that if mining companies are resisting banknotes in favour of their own coins, that indicates that the Commonwealth has abandoned the gold standard (or they'd be having to buy the gold in order to back up the banknotes anyway)?

I like the system, but I think you might have one too many names of coins. I'd suggest dropping the florin, which I always see as a gold coin and would confuse me if it were that low down in the pecking order (and it feels more culturally Italianate where the rest of the names are quite Anglosphere-sounding). If you need something of that denomination, suggestions: "Quarter-crown", "Twyshilling", "Greatshilling", "Greatfarthing" (or call the current "shilling" a greatfarthing and the current florin a shilling).
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

stormwell

• View Profile
    • Utherwald Press
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 04:35:21 PM »
Re gold & mining - I presume that if mining companies are resisting banknotes in favour of their own coins, that indicates that the Commonwealth has abandoned the gold standard (or they'd be having to buy the gold in order to back up the banknotes anyway)?

I like the system, but I think you might have one too many names of coins. I'd suggest dropping the florin, which I always see as a gold coin and would confuse me if it were that low down in the pecking order (and it feels more culturally Italianate where the rest of the names are quite Anglosphere-sounding). If you need something of that denomination, suggestions: "Quarter-crown", "Twyshilling", "Greatshilling", "Greatfarthing" (or call the current "shilling" a greatfarthing and the current florin a shilling).

I used the later silver two shilling coin florin that was minted from 1849 to 1970, then later used alongside the decimal 10 pence piece until 1992 as both had the same weight and value (until the 10p coin was made smaller).

Commonwealth had banknotes in the Home Isles prior to the war, they abandoned the gold standard not long after the start of the conflict. Alyeska is the Commonwealth's main source of gold, fears that the gold shipments would be targetted by the enemy led to the change.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 05:02:23 PM by stormwell »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 05:01:59 PM »
Sure, I guess I'm just suggesting that nowadays the UK florin has passed out of usage long enough that the medieval gold florin may be better known and the name might confuse people who are expecting a medieval-style gold florin rather than the modern era two-shilling piece. But it's your call of course :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

stormwell

• View Profile
    • Utherwald Press
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 05:03:10 PM »
Sure, I guess I'm just suggesting that nowadays the UK florin has passed out of usage long enough that the medieval gold florin may be better known and the name might confuse people who are expecting a medieval-style gold florin rather than the modern era two-shilling piece. But it's your call of course :)

I'll certainly think about it.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 05:09:53 PM »
May be worth just asking a few more people - as a medieval historian, my perspective on which one people know about may be severely skewed as well!

stormwell

• View Profile
    • Utherwald Press
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 06:41:00 PM »
OK, slightly revised coinage.

*Farthing:- 1 copper

*Greatfarthing:- 5 copper

*Shilling:- 10 copper

*Half-crown:- 25 copper

*Crown:- 50 copper

*Sovereign:- 1 silver

*Half-throne:- 5 silver

*Throne:- 1 gold

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 11:54:03 PM »
Awesomes :)