Author Topic: Are you writing a book?  (Read 11312 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Are you writing a book?
« on: May 14, 2009, 04:13:49 PM »
I know at least five members of this forum including myself are writing books, so here's a topic to discuss ideas. If you want to post the whole text use a separate thread, but posting an overview, themes, background, extracts, and so on here would be great.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Are you writing a book?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 07:06:54 PM »
My book is entitled Fire and Water. It's high fantasy, set in a world I have created. It's very dependent on fantasy archetypes, but with twists to them.

--More to come--
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Are you writing a book?
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 09:22:43 PM »
I am writing short fantasy stories in style of LOTR. In the beginning they were made up for my mod, but now they are turning into something bigger . But my English is not good so I'm writing them in Croatian... If I ever find some time I will try to finish and translate them
"Less of a young professional - more of an ancient amateur. But frankly, I'm an absolute dream."

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Are you writing a book?
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 09:24:15 PM »
Sounds good! I know I could never write a story in another language, I have a big vocabuary in English and I'd hate to have to use a more restricted set of words.

DeepComet5581

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Kitten with a Camera
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
    • Awards
Are you writing a book?
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 12:13:40 AM »
My book is going to be called Young Blood.

The story revolves around a brother and sister who become the heads of a gang called The Saints (Ripped off from Saints Row I know) and have to deal with the responsibility and danger while trying to overcome an offensive by a rival gang, called The Panthers.
After The Saints enjoy a period of good fortune, there is a raid at The Saints' HQ by The Panthers and corrupt Police, in which the sister is arrested and jailed. The brother escapes with 2 of his friends and plans to go to the North of England and wait until the heat is off, then return to re-establish The Saints, free his sister and destroy The Panthers.
I used to do actual stuff around here, don't you know?

I would be ever so grateful if you would visit my YouTube Channel :)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsLjOCNLe0ECID84Y3nrEjQ

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Are you writing a book?
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 07:41:16 PM »
So where is the main story set?

DeepComet5581

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Kitten with a Camera
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
    • Awards
Are you writing a book?
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 05:55:00 PM »
South-East England. Haven't decided on the County yet. It might be Surrey, but Essex is better.
I used to do actual stuff around here, don't you know?

I would be ever so grateful if you would visit my YouTube Channel :)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsLjOCNLe0ECID84Y3nrEjQ

Jacos

• View Profile
    • Awards
Are you writing a book?
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 11:40:11 AM »
I want to be an auther when I'm older.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Are you writing a book?
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 12:28:31 PM »
Reached 54 pages of A4 on my book.  :P

lordryan756

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Are you writing a book?
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 01:03:15 AM »
I'm writing a Journal-Typed story for this game I play. I post it on the game forums now and then. Called, "The Diary of a StarBase Owner", as the entire game is based off the universe hundreds of years from now.

Here's a good section...
Spoiler: click to toggle

This is my latest "Entry", and am hoping to get a few more in the following week.. The Browser game is " http://www.pardus.at " and the forum is " http://www.forum.pardus.at ". My username is "Ryan Hagelban", so if you join, look me up :P

Edit:
Spelling Errors
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 01:06:07 AM by lordryan756 »

Son of the King

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • SotK
    • Awards
Are you writing a book?
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 11:50:14 PM »
In a word no.

In a number of words, I'm only not because my story writing skills don't really extend past short stories (think GCSE English creative writing section style). I have a beautiful world in my mind, which I would love to be able to write a whole epic saga about, but sadly I lack the motivation and the ability to write anything about it in a way that satisfies myself. The basis is all there; different cultures, history and background to all of them, even maps that I have drawn (somewhere) and the skeleton of a language for one of said cultures. When I say skeleton I mean that I could describe myself to you (high school language lessons style), but it would currently not be much use for a meaningful conversation.

lordryan756

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Are you writing a book?
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 04:47:44 PM »
Here's a Motivation for ya :P

Just imagine that you are being offered a cash prize for the book. Imagine that the better the book, the more cash you get. I do that sometimes. It works (sorta).