Author Topic: Creatures From Beneath The Ice?  (Read 1952 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Creatures From Beneath The Ice?
« on: September 08, 2017, 11:46:15 PM »
Long story short, there may be whole new animal species deep under the Antarctic ice. I found this particularly interesting; I've developed something of an interest in ice caves and ice creatures after designing the Thauils for my game LIFE (though I'm aware that some of my presentation of things there is REALLY inaccurate, but ah well, poetic license!)

Animals and plants may be living in warm caves under Antarctica's ice, according to a study.

Australian researchers said that Mount Erebus, an active volcano on Antarctica's Ross Island, is surrounded by caves hollowed out in the ice by steam. Soil samples retrieved from the caves have revealed intriguing traces of DNA from mosses, algae and small animals. The research has been published in the journal Polar Biology.

"It can be really warm inside the caves - up to 25C in some caves. You could wear a T-shirt in there and be pretty comfortable," said co-author Dr Ceridwen Fraser, from the Australian National University (ANU) in Canberra. "There's light near the cave mouths, and light filters deeper into some caves where the overlying ice is thin."

Dr Fraser said that most of the DNA resembles that found in plants and animals from the rest of Antarctica. But that some sequences couldn't be fully identified.
Link: http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-41202929
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Creatures From Beneath The Ice?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 10:43:33 AM »
Very cool

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Creatures From Beneath The Ice?
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 07:22:48 PM »
I've played around with this a bit with my ice planet in LIFE - my theorised species, the Thauils, have herd animal farms in warmer sub-icecap caves. :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...