Author Topic: Community ISPs & Net Neutrality  (Read 1591 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Community ISPs & Net Neutrality
« on: November 24, 2017, 12:06:16 AM »
Wasn't sure where to post this, I think it's probably more "science/tech" than "debate" ish - basically, with Net Neutrality dying in the US, there now seems to be a very real movement brewing to set up a lot more community ISPs and homebrew additional infrastructure to try and retain net neutrality by simply cutting the big corporate players out of the deal. I'll be very interested to see how this movement goes, it sounds like a really good way of trying to make a more distributed, less corp-giant tech system, I guess I'm still sceptical that they'll get enough groups doing it to make a real difference but fingers crossed - Vice's tech department have stated they're going to actively push this and run articles telling people how to set this stuff up.

More info here:
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/7x4y8a/net-neutrality-fcc-community-networks
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Community ISPs & Net Neutrality
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 12:28:47 PM »
I'm hoping this will create a new era of net pirates and a generation of tech savvy kids with jury rig setups running rings around 'the man'. Make for awesome dystopian sci-fi anyway. #whatisthematrix
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Community ISPs & Net Neutrality
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 02:31:21 PM »
I for one welcome the cyberpunk revolution :D

(Not that I'm exactly aesthetically punk, but nonetheless...)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...