Author Topic: Linguistics thoughts  (Read 4445 times)

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Linguistics thoughts
« on: March 30, 2018, 08:46:46 PM »
A random lingustics thought, brought on by the last couple of posts in the Word Association thread - all the following words rhyme in English, or at least my personal version of it:

beer, bier, cheer, dear, deer, ear, fear, gear, hear, here, jeer, leer, mere (both meanings), near, peer, pier, queer, rear, sear, seer, tear (from the eye), tier, veer, weir, year

Meanwhile, these other ones also rhyme, but not with the previous batch, despite the sometimes shared 'ear' or 'ere' spelling:

air, bare, bear, care, chair, dare, fair, fare, hair, lair, mare, pare, pear, rare, tare, tear (fabric or paper), there, wear
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 10:25:41 AM by Glaurung »

Caradìlis

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Linguistics thoughts
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 09:31:56 PM »
Uhm, yes... Where are you going with this?
"Those who don't beieve in magic will never find it." - Roald Dahl

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 09:42:49 PM »
Just an observation, really: I'm slightly bored on a Friday evening, and it hadn't previously occurred to me how many words rhyme like this.

If people felt like it, they could comment about the perversity of English spelling (at least four different ways to spell one common sound), or the fact that speakers of other English dialects or variants might group these words differently.

I might throw in other random linguistics as they occur to me in future, and the thread is now available for anyone else who wants to do the same.

Caradìlis

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 09:54:28 PM »
Ah, okay, Friday musings, now I understand... I got confused for a bit and thought I missed something... :)

Sounds interesting... :)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 10:36:45 PM »
Well, where I come from just about all the words in the OP rhyme perfectly consistently :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 10:24:36 AM »
Norfolk dialect did cross my mind a bit later on last night, at which point I resorted to the inevitable "Communicating with a Norfolk Accent" YouTube video:

More seriously, what about bier, pier, tier? Do they sound the same as bare, pare, tare?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 10:32:08 AM »
I think they sound a bit different - if I recall rightly you can hear in the Norfolk pronunciation of pier that it's an i as the second letter, so it sounds like the usual pronunciation of "beer" more than "bear" - but they're certainly spoken in a similarly monosyllabic way.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Caradìlis

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 10:34:50 AM »
Judging from my homework in front of me, bier, pier and tier all contain the diphthong /ıə/, whereas bare, pare and tare contain /eə/, so not the same sound, but there is variation within the countless English varieties, and I cannot possibly account for all of them... :)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 11:04:35 AM »
Yes, Norfolk pronunciation is quite different to RP, which is presumably what you're studying (for example "beer" and "bare" are both pronounced the same as "bear", and "coup", "cow", and "queue" are all basically just said as "coo") - I recommend listening to the video Mark linked, if I've never shown it to you before!

Caradìlis

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2018, 11:14:25 AM »
I know, because you have actually... :) I do remember it being hilarious... :)

comrade_general

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2018, 02:43:39 PM »
Haha we all need to make a sound byte saying that phrase. Dear/deer would be a problem here as we pronounce both we a long eee sound.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 11:08:16 PM »
I think I pronounce deer and dear pretty much the same in my normal accent. In the Norfolk accent they both rhyme with "dare" as well though.

Caradìlis

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2018, 03:02:42 AM »
Isn't language fun? :P

comrade_general

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2018, 03:22:35 AM »
Language fun isn't. :P

@Jub and then our dare is different because we actually pronounce the letter r lol

Caradìlis

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2018, 03:40:55 AM »
I know, I got to a point yesterday when I was ready to throw either my homework or myself out of the window... -.- (no papers or humans were harmed though, I went out into our garden...)