Author Topic: A Merry Monumental Multiplayer Moment!  (Read 14013 times)

Vrosivs Avgvstvs Rakvs

• A Bustle in Your Hedgerow
    • View Profile
    • Awards
A Merry Monumental Multiplayer Moment!
« on: April 03, 2018, 11:37:41 PM »
Greetings everyone! We just had a groundbreaking thing happen! After much trial and error and a fair amount of frustration we made RTR8 multiplayer work! It was a wild ride, and after many stressful moments we figured out the very specific failsafe way of making it work. And the result was the first ever RTR8 multiplayer battle – a small one but a very significant one as well! We’ll be posting more info on multiplayer when we release the next RTR8 version, v4.0. Oh, by the way, the release date for RTR8 4.0 is April 29th :D

Here’s some screenshots :D
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Rome Total Realism Project Dev Team Member and  Head of Public Relations
RTR VII Beta Tester/Dev Team Member
-----------------------------------------
"Coasting through the intermission that separates day from day, I find myself feeling oddly at peace with reality. Despite everything, I think life will workout in the end. The world, as as I see it is a remarkable place." - DukeCanada, the interstellar wanderer.
Proud patron of Aule_the_creator

Vrosivs Avgvstvs Rakvs

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: A Merry Monumental Multiplayer Moment!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 12:20:34 AM »
"Coasting through the intermission that separates day from day, I find myself feeling oddly at peace with reality. Despite everything, I think life will workout in the end. The world, as as I see it is a remarkable place." - DukeCanada, the interstellar wanderer.

Vrosivs Avgvstvs Rakvs

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 01:05:48 AM »
ahowl11's elephants didn't go easy on me haha

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 09:37:37 PM »
Ooh, wonderful - congrats! :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

comrade_general

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 10:25:15 PM »
Nice. What kind of things did you have to do to make it work?

Vrosivs Avgvstvs Rakvs

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 03:01:47 PM »
Thanks guys!

What kind of things did you have to do to make it work?

Oh it was so tedious haha :D
I'm packing to go visit my family, I don't have much time to reply properly, sorry, so I'll copy-paste my reply from another thread:

We tried to make it work a year ago, too, but it all flopped for a reason not entirely known to us, as the checksum was behaving seemingly random and wild. We picked it up again a few days ago and experimented and brainstormed a fair amount, and BHL 20 had an idea that just might work and it did. The damn map.rwm file was messing with the game's checksum just enough for it to show a mismatch although apparently everything was at it should be and the versions we had running were identical to the last file. Even our map.rwm files were completely identical yet still the checksum didn't want to behave. One of the prerequisites for making mod multiplayer possible, as we found out, is to ALWAYS erase the map.rwm file before AND after attempting to play multiplayer battles. We will release an in-depth guide and explanation once we release at the end of the month. We will also be setting up a discord server for the community to meet and play.
And, of course, both the base game's checksum and the mod's checksum has to match for all the players, so even the slightest modifications to the vanilla files can render the mod multiplayer unplayable, apparently. Luckily, the checksum doesn't take into account the saves and preferences folders, as the experiments seemingly show; and the launch commands can differ, too, though this should be straightforward, we did try virtually everything. The first time ahowl11 and I ran the same launch commands, the second time I added a few and it ran fine again. It was a wild ride, haha.
But I digress. More on all this at the end of the month, we want to make sure about everything regarding this.

comrade_general

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 03:07:05 PM »
That damn map.rwm file lol

Vrosivs Avgvstvs Rakvs

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 03:20:28 PM »
that file gave me PTSD haha  ;D

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 10:32:58 AM »
Oh, gosh, yes. I think the world may need a map.rwm emotional support group for recovering RTW modders :P
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...