Author Topic: How To Donate to Exilian  (Read 1116 times)

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
How To Donate to Exilian
« on: April 06, 2018, 04:20:53 PM »
As we've said elsewhere, Exilian is a non-profit organisation, supported entirely by donations. Running the forum and other parts of the website costs us real money (at the time of writing, about GBP 5.50 / EUR 6.30 / USD 7.70 per month). In addition, we aim to support creative projects, by our own members and others, and this often involves advertising or other real-world expenses. So we would very much appreciate more donations.

Here are the ways you can donate to us:

UK bank transfers
mainly for people with UK bank accounts
- For one-off donations, you can transfer money from your bank account to Exilian's - see details below.
- For regular donations (e.g. so much at the start of each month), you can set up a "standing order" with your bank - a bit like a direct debit, this is an instruction to them to transfer a fixed amount at the same time every month. You can usually do this online, again using the bank details below.

Exilian's bank details are:
- bank name: HSBC
- sort code: 40-16-08
- account number: 64236033
- account name: Exilian

If you want to go old-school, you can also write a cheque, payable to "Exilian", and send it to Exilian, 6 Ainsworth Court, Cambridge, CB1 2PA.

People outside the UK can also send money to UK bank accounts, using various reference numbers to identify them. However, there will almost always be currency conversion charges, and often other transfer charges too. For international transfers from other EU countries, these should be quite reasonable; from outside the EU they're often prohibitively expensive.

PayPal
We have a PayPal account, linked to e-mail address sakellarios@exilian.co.uk - you can search for this from your own PayPal account and send us money that way. We can't currently add a PayPal donation button to the forum, but we're working on it.

One thing to watch out for: the currency on that PayPal account is UK pounds (a.k.a. sterling) - if you send an amount in another currency, there will be a conversion charge, deducted from the amount we receive. As far as I know, you can specify an amount in UK pounds, in which case PayPal will charge you for the conversion.

Liberapay
This is another payment website, intended specifically for recurring donations to individuals and organisations. If you want to donate this way, please go to our Liberapay donation page, and follow the instructions. If you don't already have an account with them, you will need to transfer some money to them first, which might then be quarantined for a period as an anti-laundering measure. We have now verified that their system works as expected, and we can get donations out of Liberapay, so feel free to use it.

16 July 2018: please do NOT use Liberapay for the time being: their payment processing company is kicking them out, and they can't handle payments until they have a new payment company in place.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 07:34:00 PM by Glaurung »

comrade_general

• Eternal Despot of RTW
  • 100% Prime Angus Beef
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Exilian
    • Awards
Re: How To Donate to Exilian
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 02:40:22 PM »
Lol a "cheque". I don't know why but that just tickles me.
I'd be more apathetic if I weren't so lethargic.

Tusky

• Spatharios
    Senior Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 05:48:50 PM »
They were going to phase them out by 2018, at one stage. I think some of the more curmudgeonly MP's stopped it.
Select AppleDanish From Pantry Where Count(MyDeliciousThings) < 1

comrade_general

• Eternal Despot of RTW
  • 100% Prime Angus Beef
    • View Profile
    • Exilian
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 07:40:37 PM »
Oh. I was referring to the olde style of spelling since we use "check" here in the states. I'm old though so using them isn't such a shocker to me lol.
I'd be more apathetic if I weren't so lethargic.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 03:14:10 PM »
Basically we can accept your hard earned (or lazily earned we're not picky) money in lots of ways :) We've been testing the liberapay account and that seems to be working now (though we've not tried withdrawing from it yet - we can only withdraw from that a month after money goes in, to make sure we're not money-laundering or something).
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 12:39:55 AM »
Liberapay is now fully tested: we've been able to withdraw money from it, at a reasonable exchange rate (converting euros to pounds sterling) and without conversion charges. I've updated the opening post accordingly.