Author Topic: P&P YouTube channels.  (Read 7261 times)

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
P&P YouTube channels.
« on: December 31, 2018, 04:10:06 PM »
Sup peeps, was just hoping someone here would be able to direct to a channel or two with some decent quality P&P RPG content - streamed campaign sessions and shizzle.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: P&P YouTube channels.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 04:20:49 PM »
P&p = pen & paper in this case?
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 05:40:39 PM »
Yarp.
Or tabletop if it means the same

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 03:32:11 PM »
Oh my man, this is 100% my jam.

JP McDaniels has the Rollplay channel with a ton of D&D editions and a huge variety of other games as one-shots or short campaigns including a fantastic Blades in the Dark, Stars Without Number, Shadowrun, Maid RPG, Sagas of the Icelanders and more. He has some meat grinder d&d like West Marches with an incredible amount of cast members held together with some kind of adamantine superglue in the form of game designer and DM supreme Steven Lumpkin. More recently Court of Swords started as the most deadly game of D&D I've seen but it then mellowed as one character in particular became surprisingly unkillable. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iofsg3hqZjo&index=1&list=PL-oTJHKXHicQ0jv37mr8D9kRFXox7-PXD

The most talked about show is Critical Role which has a cast of professional voice actors, a huge loreful world and fantastic improvisation. I've watched it all and it's a thing you can get invested in but honestly you learn little to nothing about playing D&D, I'm not even sure what edition they play tbh. The greater Geek and Sundry umbrella incorporates a ton of board games and other shows with different games in but I've not seen that content due to getting that sort of thing from Rollplay.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-p9lWIhcLQ&list=PL7atuZxmT954bCkC062rKwXTvJtcqFB8i

Another channel which I feel confident in recommending but have never watched is Sherlock Hulmes High Rollers: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3qtZRMtWNaD2Q96STxgOrA
They do RPGs and I think tabletop as well.

Any questions about specific channels or games, give me a shout :)
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 06:09:53 PM »
Marvellous, many thanks my good dude. I did find a channel called Encounter Roleplay which certainly had some great sessions, been watching way too much of their GoT campaign.

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 10:50:34 PM »
No problem! :)

Cool, not heard of them I'll give them a look tomorrow!
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 02:31:50 AM »
Ladyhawk and I are trying to get through Season 2 of Critical Role at the moment. Amazing stuff.

By the way Clockwork, pretty sure all the streamed CR stuff is 5th Ed, although their first campaign did begin with Pathfinder. I'm pretty sure they ported that campaign to 5th Ed before the stream started. :)
The Norbayne Campaign Instagram page. Give us a cheeky follow if you like. :)
By the power of Ga'haarr I command you to vanish! VANISH!
I CANNOT BE KILLED BUT WITH FIRE!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Crazier than a crack-head cat and here to make sticky treats out of your vital organs.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 01:24:33 PM »
I've never really enjoyed "let's watch other people play games" as a genre, though maybe I should try watching CR as everyone seems to love it so much. I have been digging into some of Matt Colville's videos on DMing lately though, there's some interesting stuff in there certainly.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 06:01:48 PM by Jubal »
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 10:50:45 PM »
I went a very long time unable to get into that same genre Jubs. Dev asked me about the possibility of recording our sessions ages ago and I shot it down pretty well immediately because I couldn't fathom how someone could sit and watch that for hours on end.

Now, older and wiser, I have revised my viewpoint. The depth to their actual role-playing is incredible. Mercer is a very good GM, but the investment of his players really allows him to go all out.
The Norbayne Campaign Instagram page. Give us a cheeky follow if you like. :)
By the power of Ga'haarr I command you to vanish! VANISH!
I CANNOT BE KILLED BUT WITH FIRE!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Crazier than a crack-head cat and here to make sticky treats out of your vital organs.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 10:53:29 PM »
I can totally fathom how other people get into that genre - I'm sure it's good entertainment. But audiovisual entertainment just doesn't seem to work for me as well as some people, even if I can appreciate what's going on.

Tangentially, I'm wondering about compiling a list of good channels/videos/audio for game developers... it's the sort of thing that probably exists elsewhere, but I wouldn't know where to find it so we may as well have it in a tuts section here?