Author Topic: Duskfolk  (Read 3767 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Duskfolk
« on: March 26, 2019, 12:00:24 AM »
The duskfolk (also known as darkfolk, lyrakin, shumat, among other names) encompass a wide range of mostly sapient creatures in the world of Kavis - in particular goblins (in their various forms), but also woses, nuberu, and a few others.

Duskfolk are largely crepuscular by preference, hence their name, but it is not this that mostly separates them from the other sapient species. Rather, it is that duskfolk are not in fact born from parents as is the case with other species, but created or summoned via magical means. This does not mean that they are beholden to summoners of other races - they are perfectly capable of summoning others of their own kin, given the right equipment and time, and this is how duskfolk reproduce. Of course it is likely that they were originally created by some other species, but this was far enough back in time that who or how has long since become unclear.

The duskfolk in many areas have somewhat antagonistic relations with other sapient species. They tend to rarely live integrated into human, dwarf, hanau, etc, society, and will often have their own tribes and villages that have an uneasy relationship with any nearby settlements of other species. They are particularly vulnerable to certain sorts of magical manipulations thanks to their summoned and constructed nature, and there are a range of "banishment" magics that work particularly well on them.

Goblins are by far the most commonly known duskfolk, being the easiest to summon and also the weakest physically (though not necessarily intellectually). Woses are somewhat larger than a human and mostly solitary, having a strong connection to a particular landmark to which they bind themselves, though occasionally they will be called upon to provide muscle to, or lead, goblin parties. Nuberu meanwhile are mostly a mountain race, very secretive, and have a strong magical affinity with the wind and storms. These and other duskfol will be expanded upon in their own articles.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 04:10:45 PM by Jubal »
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Darkfolk
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 07:47:07 PM »
Sounds racist but ok .

:p

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 12:09:54 AM »
Hm. I came up with the term years ago so I've got quite used to it/think it makes sense in context, but you may have a point.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 09:14:17 AM »
Nah I'm joking, it does sound a bit like an old fashioned rustic way of referring black people but dark has always been a term used to describe anything malign and I think it's obvious enough which you mean here.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 10:24:22 AM »
I don't particularly see it as malignancy here either, I mostly meant literally they are the folk of the dark because they tend to be creatures that prefer dusk/dawn times. "Folk of Darkness" actually sounds kind of cool, or Duskfolk. Hmm.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Duskfolk
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 04:11:21 PM »
I've decided after a while that duskfolk actually kinda sounds cooler - relegating darkfolk to a secondary term for them.

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Duskfolk
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 08:30:40 PM »
Dusky