Author Topic: The Crowne Grippe (COVID-19 Thread)  (Read 16298 times)

dubsartur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: The Crowne Grippe (COVID-19 Thread)
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2020, 11:12:19 PM »
I am seeing a surprising number of people in the USA talking about how they have to open the economy back up in less-affected areas to save everyone's jobs.  But without testing and back-tracking that will just make the numbers continue to explode, the rest of the world is still affected (you can't make cars if the factories overseas that make the parts are shut down and you can't sell them to foreigners in a depression) and as people's friends get sick and die they will stay away from the sports events and the dance clubs and the fairs in convention centres.  Sweden seems to be doing OK but they started mild social distancing in time (and are not touchy feelly people in general)!

The USA has confirmed death figures similar to the number of confirmed cases in Canada.  (I don't yet know of comparisons between the death rate from all causes last spring and the death rate from all causes this spring like in Italy and Spain).

Meanwhile in Austria, the number of new cases identified per day has been heading down since 27 March.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 11:21:28 PM by dubsartur »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2020, 12:19:29 PM »
Austria is going for a further round of relaxation after today: meetings of up to ten permitted as long as 1m distancing is imposed, no limitations on reasons for going outside, and I think some larger shops opening. The University is by and large staying shut - we're remote teaching, and the administration will soon start to open some buildings but only for librarians, lab scientists, and others who are deemed to be unable to work remotely (to the chagrin of some historians who are pointing out that libraries may actually be quite necessary for them at times).

I just hope we don't end up with a further spike. Vienna's numbers haven't been falling at the rate of other provinces, and if we get a further jump in cases as a result of relaxation, here is now the most likely place in Austria.

Meanwhile some welcome news is that the antiviral drug Remdesivir does seem to have some mild impact on the virus: it's not clear if it will actually decrease the death rate, but it does seem to help people recover noticeably faster, which could help hospitals stop getting overwhelmed. More tests needed, but if more things like that work then it could be very helpful for health systems in staying robust in current and future spikes of the disease.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

dubsartur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2020, 03:42:53 PM »
The university libraries in Innsbruck are now open for check-out for two hours a day.  I need to see if interlibrary loan is open.

The number of new cases in Austria does not seem to have risen since the loosening of restrictions in mid-April, but it is not falling either https://info.gesundheitsministerium.at/

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2020, 03:30:34 PM »
Austria's case numbers continue to slowly fall, according to the official stats. The exception is Vienna where the case numbers have stayed stubbornly in the 500-700 range for weeks now. Styria is also doing less well - maybe the higher pop density in Graz and Vienna is taking a toll.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

dubsartur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2020, 04:40:11 PM »
The last known person infected with the new coronavirus in New Zealand has recovered!

dubsartur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2020, 09:08:30 PM »
Are there any sites with data from Washington State or from the UK without a lot of third-party javascripts and with clear explanations of what the data is based on?  I am seeing lots of photos from the USA of people milling around in public in dense crowds without masks or with just their mouth covered, and stories of people who are just trying to have a normal summer. 

Its like watching the USA from Europe in March.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 09:15:12 PM by dubsartur »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2020, 10:03:29 PM »
I dunno, I will admit I've not been looking at global data, just the Austrian stuff: I figure that any big milestones I'll hear about anyway, and I found I was getting too obsessive checking the numbers too often for everywhere.

dubsartur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2020, 01:58:39 PM »
As of Tuesday 16 June, my city in the alps (the breeding grounds of the rich world outbreak) is coronavirus free!

dubsartur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2020, 01:02:59 PM »
Austria just registered its first day with 100 or more new diagnoses of Covid-19 since 16 April.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2020, 02:14:23 PM »
Yes, looks like that's largel driven by a significant spike in Upper Austria which has jumped from under 50 to well over 200 cases within a couple of days.

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2020, 10:16:11 PM »
I would guess that there's a particular location involved, probably Linz as it's the only large city. Do the public statistics give any breakdown more detailed than the Land level?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2020, 11:12:33 PM »
Not the ones that I read, which are from Der Standard. A bit of reading doesn't give me much either - though yes, I'd be very rusprised if it wasn't Linz that was the centre of the new outbreak.

dubsartur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: July 03, 2020, 11:36:26 AM »
You can see the statistics by Bezirk (district) in https://info.gesundheitsministerium.at/dashboard_Epidem.html?l=de

Currently there are 277 cases in Oberösterreich and 283 in Vienna out of about 800 active cases.  https://www.land-oberoesterreich.gv.at/232009.htm says that 157 of the cases in Oberösterreich are in Linz or the surrounding district (Linz-Land).

Landeck, Kitzbühel,  and Sankt Johann in the Alps have the highest rates per capita but the absolute numbers are small.

dubsartur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: July 05, 2020, 11:52:58 PM »
After being relatively static from September 2018 to February 2019 (about 34% growth in pledges in 18 months including a 20% drop in September 2019) Patreon pledges rose another 37% in March, April, May, and June.  A few individual creators I follow have gained a few pledges in that period, so its not just the 39% rise in creators in the same period.

The subscription-with-back-catalogue model has its problems, especially the way it turns creators from creators of property to day labourers, but I think it is what will replace the ads, propaganda, and surveillance model which has been dead for years unless your name is Alphabet or Facebook (what will replace investor storytime- conning investors into lending you money on the belief that somehow you will pay back ten times as much with advertising or selling out to a bigger company- is not so clear to me, although that is the model that say YouTube or Twitter runs on).

Edit: and humh, behind the scenes there are still creators griping about broken features and sudden changes- apparently the patron manager, for tracking who is owed what reward, is broken.  But enough users still trust them, and they have an excellent business model aside from their big debt to venture capital firms that may think they have bought a gold mine rather than, well, a financial services firm for small businesses.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 11:41:28 PM by dubsartur »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2020, 12:44:38 PM »
It looks like the upper Austria spike is starting to recede, but national numbers are slowly drifting up still which is a concerning feeling. I'm trying to decide whether to take the train and have a small holiday in Slovenia or somewhere, and feeling undecided about the risk.