Author Topic: Forum Discussion  (Read 122612 times)

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Forum Discussion
« Reply #270 on: November 25, 2015, 01:09:43 PM »
Has someone altered the way the forum handles people being logged in, any time in the last few days? Before the weekend, I stayed logged in on a particular browser for weeks, possibly months, at a time, even if I closed the browser and shut down the computer. Now, it seems I get logged out automatically every time I close the browser, and I have to log in again the next time I open it. The enhanced security is probbaly good, but it would be nice to know when someone is working on this sort of thing.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #271 on: November 25, 2015, 03:39:14 PM »
I've not touched anything, or added any updates, and it still works for me as normal. Sounds more like your browser is removing, losing or resetting the cache/cookies somehow?
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

SaidaiSloth

• King of the sloths
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #272 on: November 26, 2015, 11:27:32 PM »
I know Microsoft edge deletes history and cookies automatically by default, don't think any other popular browsers do, although you should check your settings just in case.
ADORABLENESS WARNING
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #273 on: November 27, 2015, 08:52:24 PM »
I'm using Firefox on two different PCs, one running Windows 7, the other running Vista. They're both still requiring me to log in every time. I cleared cookies for Exilian on the Vista PC (but not the other one, as far as I remember) at the weekend, but it should have re-created one by now, surely. Safari on my iPhone seemed to get really confused about whether I was logged in around the weekend as well, but has now settled down again, leaving me logged in all the time. I'm pretty sure there wasn't a Firefox upgrade at the weekend; maybe some other component has changed without anyone knowing? Anyway, it's an irritation rather than a significant problem, and it will probably go away as mysteriously as it appeared.

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #274 on: December 12, 2015, 12:03:49 AM »
Another slightly random technical question: is it possible to switch Exilian from plain old HTTP to HTTPS? If so, is it just a set-up option for the web server, or would we have install new server software, or change our set-up with GoDaddy?

Son of the King

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • SotK
    • Awards
« Reply #275 on: December 12, 2015, 10:43:40 AM »
We'd need to pay for a certificate, or else use a self-signed one and not really get much benefit. I imagine it'll be easy enough on GoDaddy's UI, but I don't know how much they charge for the privilege.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #276 on: March 19, 2016, 06:11:46 PM »
I've just made a small tweak, making the colour for the Tribounoi very slightly paler so it's easier to read against the dark background :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #277 on: June 03, 2016, 03:49:27 PM »
Another small tweak - I noticed that the box allowing members to display their Exilian party affiliation had "Independent" misspelt and excluded the PP, so I've fixed those things.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #278 on: September 29, 2016, 04:19:55 PM »
Welcome to SMF 2.0.12, update installed!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #279 on: December 21, 2016, 03:39:49 PM »
Christmas banner is up :)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #280 on: January 07, 2017, 10:59:21 AM »
SMF 2.0.13 update done! :)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #281 on: February 11, 2017, 11:40:43 PM »
Cyril & Methodius banner now up :)

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #282 on: February 12, 2017, 08:57:09 AM »
Many thanks.

As usual, I had to hit F5 to refresh my cache in order to see - is there any way we can mark the banner file as "new" to get HTTP to refresh it automatically?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #283 on: February 12, 2017, 10:09:35 AM »
I don't know, alas - I can't think of how that would be done, except by changing our system to change the reference instead of the image filename, but that would make the whole process take several times longer :/

Koobazaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Koobazaur's Domain
    • Awards
« Reply #284 on: April 24, 2017, 02:32:46 AM »
Heya folks, I just messed up upgraded the forum CSS to make images actually scale to fit page width instead of overflowing like before! This affects the default theme, RTR and Curve. Enjoy!

Make sure you refresh your cache (Ctrl+F5) and direct all the hatemail at me  :arwen:
Check out my upcoming Indie Game Karaski:What Goes Up... - You're one of five suspects of a sabotage onboard a 1920s Slavic Airship. Find the culprit or confess your crime in an open-ended, detective adventure game.