Author Topic: What digital games are you playing?  (Read 36030 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
What digital games are you playing?
« on: September 01, 2020, 08:40:53 PM »
Thought this should be a regular thread to go with what are you reading and equivalents.

Edit Jul 2023: there's now a tabletop gaming version of this thread! You can find it here.

My most recent playing attempt was psychonauts, which I found find but I just don't like platforming that much that I want to do a whole game of it, I think. Pillars of Eternity is probably next on the list, though I may buy CK3 as that's out and meant to be good.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2023, 10:17:57 AM by Jubal »
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Gmd

• The one and only
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Quack
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 04:03:51 PM »
Good idea, currently been playing the surge 2, just to try get my dark soulsy fix while i wait until eldren ring news lol. Nice game i recommend for any dark souls combat fans.
Bunneh and I Rule this land in the name of Supreme Lord Krishna.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") 

Give me my green name back!!! I am always Logothetes

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 05:15:07 PM »
Now doing Pillars of Eternity and really enjoying it. Like, probably not enough that I'll get the expansions, but it's got a good feel to it and I love this sort of pausable semi-tactical combat (as long as I only play it on normal mode: I'm dying every once in a while but it's about the right level of frustration for me).
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 07:14:54 PM »
Ahhh that's so cool Jub!

Pillars is one of my favourite games! It took me the longest time to get into it though :)

What kind of character have you made/ are you making?

The expansion is actually better than the base game imo, it has the gameplay which is fine but the story and the encounters are so much more varied, diplomacy is more of a thing, if you do end up getting 50-60% of the way through and think 'I like my character but wish there was something else to do' then I'd recommend it!

I'm playing Necromunda: Underhive Wars. It's about as flawed as Mordheim but is prettier so.... yay?
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 11:46:40 PM »
I've got an orlan wizard. Playing him as generally compassionate and benevolent, but also quite passionately sciencey and takes everything quite literally so I've got a pretty high honest rep. (I was a bit sad there was no bard class available, I do admit). I'm not that well built, in that my wizard has all the close combat wizard options - lots of good spells for a wizard who wants to fake being good in toe to toe melee - but I tend to take parties that have really good CC capacity so I end up being ranged support but not ideal at it.

I think if I ever play another character I'll download White March and do it with a ranger.

DeepCandle Games

• RPG author and big nerd
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Aspiring TTRPG Writer
    • View Profile
    • My Ko-Fi Shop-front!
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2020, 12:08:00 AM »
I've been resuming the finishing of my unpainted miniatures! I've also been playing a hearty amount of Space Hulk Death-wing
I write many projects focused around RPGs and rules expansions!

If you'd like to support me you can buy (or download for free) my finished work from https://ko-fi.com/nanoteq_rpg or play-test them with me on my discord!

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2020, 07:00:51 PM »
@Jub

That's awesome! Did you not like the chanter class? In my mind they're actually one of the best implementation of bards in a video game despite not being called as such. Creating phrases to make a verse which causes spell effects evokes a real groundedness to them imo.

@Baragon - I have deathwing too and enjoyed it immensely, was a bit hard solo for some of it though, and playing it with dodgy headphones was funny because all the enemies came from my right (the working headphone) lol
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

DeepCandle Games

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Aspiring TTRPG Writer
    • View Profile
    • My Ko-Fi Shop-front!
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2020, 11:50:32 PM »
@Jub

That's awesome! Did you not like the chanter class? In my mind they're actually one of the best implementation of bards in a video game despite not being called as such. Creating phrases to make a verse which causes spell effects evokes a real groundedness to them imo.

@Baragon - I have deathwing too and enjoyed it immensely, was a bit hard solo for some of it though, and playing it with dodgy headphones was funny because all the enemies came from my right (the working headphone) lol

Oh yeah, have you played it since they published the Enhanced Edition? much of it has been polished up
I don't think the game was really made to be playable solo haha, atleast all my own attempts have failed - Lately there's been a lot of new players which is great though; one thing I like doing in games is showing new players the ropes and giving them an encouraging NPE! I just wish some of the armour skins you could buy let you reskin as various other chapters...

If you'd like to support me you can buy (or download for free) my finished work from https://ko-fi.com/nanoteq_rpg or play-test them with me on my discord!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2020, 11:18:04 PM »
@Jub

Oh, I love the chanter class, I agree it's mechanically fantastic. I guess I just didn't feel they had the aesthetic/atmosphere I wanted from a true bard class in terms of e.g. spell selection? They felt much more like "here are our solemn mystic chants" than "here are our swishy fun minstrel songs" if that makes sense. Though maybe that's partly just my feelings from Kana as a character and I could make a more bard-ish chanter as a PC.

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2020, 12:18:31 AM »
@Baragon - Ha, it's not the smoothest ride I'll grant you, but yes, doable as solo! I actually only played it since the enhanced edition was released, I never experienced the joys of regular edition :)

I've not really played much more than the main story though, personally vermintide is more my speed with regards to setting. I still fire up deathwing every now and then though :P

@ Jub - Ah okay I see what you mean and I agree. Kana, yeah. He's a historian with a potentially very pessimistic outlook depending on how you talk to him.

I actually did just that, a smartass dwarf. For me his standout chants were At the Sight of their Comrades, their Hearts Grew Bold, The Fox from the Farmer Did Run and Leap (kinda useless but seemed limerick-ey) and The Dragon Thrashed, The Dragon Wailed I think but I can't remember the third phrase tbh. I suspect it would be that one though. I got chased a lot to use the fox chant. I think I used a crossbow but maybe a pistol?

For me, Pillars strength is in the dialogue choices, so many of them add the character which gives you that clear image and sound of your character. Mechanically, I found my island-bound barbarian king and psychic detective easiest to get abilities for which suited them both thematically and mechanically, all others were difficult to get the two to match. Druids are mixed. Clerics and paladins are easy actually but they're quite... restricted I find? Durance is a great companion though, some of the best lines along with Aloth and Eder.

DeepCandle Games

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Aspiring TTRPG Writer
    • View Profile
    • My Ko-Fi Shop-front!
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2020, 12:43:43 AM »
Ah yes, the joys of your game crashing when someone holds down fire with their flamethrower and helicopters around the room haha

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2020, 02:36:53 PM »
He's a historian with a potentially very pessimistic outlook depending on how you talk to him.
I knew there was something I liked about him. ;)

And yeah, I hate Durance, but the fact that I have strong feelings about him is testament to him being well written (at low levels nobody in my party had good mechanics skill and I would sometimes trap hunt by just walking Durance down corridors, that's how much I dislike the man). I think my favourite companion is probably either Sagani or Pallegina, I found them both quite narratively compelling (and more easy to empathise with than Eder or Aloth).

Clockwork

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2020, 07:12:19 PM »
Haha yeah true!

Mhm, my characters on the whole didn't like Durance but accepted him as a force of nature or once, dove into his soul bearing it for him to see and caused revelations of his own worth and being... Being emotionally psychic sometimes has it's perks!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2020, 10:54:24 AM »
I've not tried just hiring random adventurers yet. Presumably they have like no interactions at all?

Also, I'm taking a break from the game for a week or so I think. I got completely stuck on the Adra dragon (I can see ways you're meant to kill it, but it seems like tbh even if you do the tactics perfectly you still only have a fairly low chance of pulling it off: having an enemy monster which if it plays optimally genuinely cannot lose against your top level party feels OTT).

dubsartur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2020, 07:26:13 PM »
I got stuck on ... what was that oughties D&D computer game with a built-in level builder?  Neverwinter Nights? in a similar situation: a boss fight which I could not win but the alternative path was unacceptable