Author Topic: *peeks out from behind a wall* hi  (Read 3820 times)

vicorva

• View Profile
    • My Website
    • Awards
*peeks out from behind a wall* hi
« on: January 30, 2023, 09:01:44 PM »
*nervous wave*

I've actually been sort of dipping in to Exilian for a while now in secret but I helped a bit with the creative competition last year and entered it this year and I thought ... maybe I should finally post and say hi?

So ... hi!

I'm V. I write fantasy novels but I also make other things as the mood strikes me.

Uhhh ... *casts about for something cool to say* if you were a kobold, what would your rebellion against your dragon overlord look like?

*whispers to self* ... nailed it.
~V (They / Them)

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: *peeks out from behind a wall* hi
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 09:30:12 PM »
Hi there! Welcome aboard.

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 09:46:11 PM »
Hi and welcome!

if you were a kobold, what would your rebellion against your dragon overlord look like?

I think mine would certainly involve a lot of kobolds, because without numbers on our side I can't seeing it ending well. Probably a fair few catapults too, to perhaps beseige the home of the dragon in some way. Maybe collapse an entrance?

Oh and fire. The uprising would feature lots of fire.

Nice to meet you. If you have any questions please ask :)
<< Signature redacted >>

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2023, 12:13:10 AM »
Hello :) It's lovely to see you here, make yourself at home, feel free to make the space yours, and as Tusky says do not hesistate to ask questions if we can usefully answer any!

I find it amusing that Glaurung specifically has simply skipped the "how to rebel against a dragon" question :P

I think I'd be quite bad at rebelling against a dragon, but if I had to I would mainly be spending lots of time building very small and very deep burrows that the dragon couldn't get into, I don't want to send tons of kobolds to get killed by a dragon and the main thing to leverage is being able to take things it wants (shiny artefacts are also smaller than dragons and we could start stealing them to put in our burrows) and deprive it of whatever support it gets (which we could do be hiding in the burrows). So I guess my plan would probably more resemble a general strike than a revolution, though if it was a really terrible dragon then whilst hiding in the burrows we might also leave helpful scrawled signs to direct adventurers in the dragon's direction or something.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

dubsartur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2023, 03:56:52 AM »
*waves in bad mental health* yay ViCorva is here!

vicorva

• View Profile
    • My Website
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2023, 01:12:50 PM »
Hi there! Welcome aboard.

Hello!

Hi and welcome!

if you were a kobold, what would your rebellion against your dragon overlord look like?

I think mine would certainly involve a lot of kobolds, because without numbers on our side I can't seeing it ending well. Probably a fair few catapults too, to perhaps beseige the home of the dragon in some way. Maybe collapse an entrance?

Oh and fire. The uprising would feature lots of fire.

You know, I think unionisation of kobolds makes a lot of sense.

Would fire be effective against a dragon? I suppose it depends on the dragon! The collapsing entrance seems very smart.

:D Thanks for a fun scenario!

Hello :) It's lovely to see you here, make yourself at home, feel free to make the space yours, and as Tusky says do not hesistate to ask questions if we can usefully answer any!

I find it amusing that Glaurung specifically has simply skipped the "how to rebel against a dragon" question :P

I think I'd be quite bad at rebelling against a dragon, but if I had to I would mainly be spending lots of time building very small and very deep burrows that the dragon couldn't get into, I don't want to send tons of kobolds to get killed by a dragon and the main thing to leverage is being able to take things it wants (shiny artefacts are also smaller than dragons and we could start stealing them to put in our burrows) and deprive it of whatever support it gets (which we could do be hiding in the burrows). So I guess my plan would probably more resemble a general strike than a revolution, though if it was a really terrible dragon then whilst hiding in the burrows we might also leave helpful scrawled signs to direct adventurers in the dragon's direction or something.

General strike sounds very sensible. Also I think most dragons would struggle to get into kobold-sized burrows so this is very sound!

*waves in bad mental health* yay ViCorva is here!

*waves back in bad mental health* Thank you for the welcome! ^_^
~V (They / Them)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2023, 04:18:28 PM »
Oo, also, I would be remiss not to try and give a bit of the tourist info:

The Storyteller's Hall is somewhere you should definitely visit, given your craft, and very much please do post about your writing stuff in there sometime if you have the time to!

If you want to share anything about your streams, then The Arcade would be a good place. It's probably implicitly a gaming arcade, but I think I imagine it as also an architectural arcade.

If you want to dive into the depths of Exilianite silliness then The Boozer and especially The Beer Cellar are the enclaves for such things. The Boozer feels rather aggressively named for what's really just the off-topic forum and more usually resembles a quiet cafe at its most hectic. Maybe we should just rename it to The Tavern or similar, it's just been called the Boozer since 2008 I guess so I hadn't thought about it before writing this. The Beer Cellar contains Exilian: A Choose Your Own Adventure and the Riddle Thread and Prove Up Is Down and things like that.

Also, within reason, never worry about posting in the wrong place. Everyone new seems to worry about this, but it is very easy for me to move a post if I decide it is better somewhere else and we'd always much rather actually hear from people than lose their nice thinkthinks into the bureaucratic fear maelstrom.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

vicorva

• View Profile
    • My Website
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2023, 05:33:03 PM »
Oo, also, I would be remiss not to try and give a bit of the tourist info:

The Storyteller's Hall is somewhere you should definitely visit, given your craft, and very much please do post about your writing stuff in there sometime if you have the time to!

If you want to share anything about your streams, then The Arcade would be a good place. It's probably implicitly a gaming arcade, but I think I imagine it as also an architectural arcade.

If you want to dive into the depths of Exilianite silliness then The Boozer and especially The Beer Cellar are the enclaves for such things. The Boozer feels rather aggressively named for what's really just the off-topic forum and more usually resembles a quiet cafe at its most hectic. Maybe we should just rename it to The Tavern or similar, it's just been called the Boozer since 2008 I guess so I hadn't thought about it before writing this. The Beer Cellar contains Exilian: A Choose Your Own Adventure and the Riddle Thread and Prove Up Is Down and things like that.

Also, within reason, never worry about posting in the wrong place. Everyone new seems to worry about this, but it is very easy for me to move a post if I decide it is better somewhere else and we'd always much rather actually hear from people than lose their nice thinkthinks into the bureaucratic fear maelstrom.

Ohh thank you for the tourist advice! I have definitely been unsure where to go and nervous about posting in the wrong place so this helps. :D
~V (They / Them)

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2023, 02:16:12 PM »
hissssssssss

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2023, 04:43:36 PM »
Am glad the information is helpful :) Basically do make yourself at home.

hissssssssss
Oh, uhm, and this is Pentagathus, and this is how Pentagathus normally responds to sapient beings in his vicinity. Probably wear gloves if you're going to try and pet or feed Penty, he mostly drinks bootleg cider, and if you see any scrawled signs to his domain of Wibulnubniblia, Exilian formally advises that you avoid going there.

vicorva

• View Profile
    • My Website
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2023, 07:41:47 PM »
~V (They / Them)