Author Topic: Fifteen years of Exilian!  (Read 7329 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Fifteen years of Exilian!
« on: March 18, 2023, 10:05:09 AM »

Exilian is fifteen years old today. It's almost a strange thing to write - that the first post I made back on March 18, 2008, would have sparked somethign that would still be such an important part of my life - and bringing community, inspiration to a fascinating gaggle of other people from across the world - a decade and a half later. In that time we've done so much - game mods, poems, conventions, workshops, games, articles, atheniads, chain writing, travelogues, TTRPGs, elections, seven WBU threads, 33128 words in a single word association game, and myriad other things recorded in the depths of this forum.

The world today looks pretty different to back then as well: I don't know how much is because it's changed and how much is because I'm older, but certainly the past decade and a half has seen some big shifts in the internet and in creativity, and in the world we have to live in while doing those things. One thing I am sure of, though, is that the spirit of wanting to be curious, kind, and creative in our approach to the world was needed then and is needed now. I hope Exilian will keep fostering that spirit of enquiry, open-mindedness, and welcome for many years to come.

Thank you for being part of this journey, whether you've been here since 2008 or whether you've just arrived today. Exilian is your space for creative geekery - and there's more to come.

We'll be having our special anniversary virtual meetup this evening! Keep an eye out for the email or, if you're not on the emailing list, shout in the comments below this post to be messaged the link on here.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Fifteen years of Exilian!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2023, 12:08:07 PM »
I remember when Ex was just a little baby forum

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2023, 12:23:59 PM »
Indeed, I think we're some of the last of the original bunch of members... will you be around for the meetup later, Penty? :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Son of the King

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • SotK
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2023, 02:45:25 PM »
This is making me feel old.

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2023, 04:32:30 PM »
Indeed, I think we're some of the last of the original bunch of members... will you be around for the meetup later, Penty? :)
I expect I may

This is making me feel old.

Don't worry, that's just because you are old :)

Spritelady

• Tribounos
    Site Magistrate
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2023, 07:50:41 PM »
Happy Birthday Exilian! I'm one of the newer members but have enjoyed it immensely and imagine I will continue to do so for as long as it runs  :)

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2023, 09:53:27 AM »
Happy Birthday Exilian! I'm one of the newer members but have enjoyed it immensely and imagine I will continue to do so for as long as it runs  :)

Couldn't agree more!

Many happy returns from me too!

Shame I couldn't make the meetup. Will definitely be there for the twentieth  :)

<< Signature redacted >>