Author Topic: A foray into bread  (Read 3273 times)

Spritelady

• Tribounos
    Site Magistrate
    • View Profile
    • Awards
A foray into bread
« on: March 18, 2023, 08:07:48 PM »

I've been making bread for the first time in my life!
After my mother passed two years ago, my father wanted to empty out his kitchen cupboard of things he would never use, being much less of an avid cook than my mother. So I acquired rather a lot of cooking paraphernalia, which included a lot of dried yeast and bread flours.
Well I've finally got around to experimenting with them, and made some bread rolls and a half white/half wholegrain loaf, which turned out much better than I was expecting.
I did also make a 100% wholegrain loaf the other day, which turned out not very well at all and is thus not featured in the photos, out of shame  :pangolin:

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
Re: A foray into bread
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2023, 09:55:53 AM »
Impressive!

I've never made bread myself but must give it a go at some point. Closest I came was living in a house with someone that owned a breadmaker. They used it a fair bit making lots of cubic loaves with little holes in the middle
<< Signature redacted >>

Spritelady

• Tribounos
    Site Magistrate
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2023, 06:32:39 PM »
My grandfather owned a machine like that - when I was little, I always thought bread from the machine was very special because it was the only homemade bread I ever saw or ate.
Today I am attempting a granary loaf, which is both using a new type of flour and a different type of yeast (you have to activate it with warm, sugary water, rather than just dumping the dried stuff into the dough) so we'll see how this goes!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 10:26:34 PM »
My parents have and regularly use a breadmaker :)

I've not made much bread recently, though I did have a very good recipe for circular little loaves with goat cheese roundels baked into them which I haven't made in like half a decade but definitely should try again sometime. My last loaf attempt was a hurried mid-Covid-isolation one which was edible but needed more proving and turned out rather dense and heavy.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...