Author Topic: Looking for ideas: TTRPG Art Assets  (Read 4865 times)

Anke

• View Profile
    • art and writing archive
    • Awards
Looking for ideas: TTRPG Art Assets
« on: April 26, 2023, 09:11:21 AM »
There is a TTRPG Art Assets jam running on itch.io right now. (only until Sunday, unfortunately)
I would like to draw something/some things for that and make the results available for people to use.

Does anybody have suggestions for not too detailed things that might be useful?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Looking for ideas: TTRPG Art Assets
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2023, 11:10:39 AM »
Hm. I am not the biggest TTRPG art user, but my thinkythinks for things I could do with sometimes:

• Landscapes that aren't inns, woods, roads, castles & caves of late medieval & early modern western Europe. Fens, swamps, shorelines, lagoons, but also slightly different building styles, finding something that looks, say, Balkan or Greek or Spanish or North African or even Italian in its vibes is surprisingly tricky sometimes, let alone stuff more properly outside the Euro-Mediterranean space.
  • NPCs are always welcome, I think one again never has enough ordinary people/daily life stuff, I don't always want everyone my party interacts with to be head to toe in armour or a generic western european innkeeper. Dwarf weavers, elfin glass-blowers, halfling potters, half-orcs trying to coax unhappy donkeys along the road, literally anyone doing charcoal burning or spinning thread, etc etc are again all pretty tricky to come by.
  • On a similar note, sites for alternative encounters: glades, charcoal burning camps, waterfalls, clay pits, woodcutting sites, watermills, vineyards, etc are all very worth having. Again, just things to let people flesh their world out a bit beyond the standard trope places.
  • I never really find myself giving people item graphics in tabletop games, not sure what there is to be done on that level.

I don't know if that's at all helpful or if those are too high detail as options but those were my first thoughts!
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Anke

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2023, 12:06:36 PM »
Might have to save most of them for later, but I really like the idea of more "everyday" people and activities, and am glad to hear I'm not the only one. Thank you!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2023, 03:46:56 PM »
Yes, definitely more above than anyone would have time for! But agreed, the everyday stuff is often the hard bit to flesh out and also the bit that kinda wants it most. For monsters you probably only want the monster, for day to day life there's a lot more complexity to dig into.

Could you drop a link to the jam? :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Anke

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2023, 04:22:22 PM »
Oh, sure! That jam is at https://itch.io/jam/ttrpg-art-asset-jam

I found it through a page that lists jams that explicitly allow physical games: https://physicalgamejams.com/

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2023, 04:38:56 PM »
Nice! If I'm alive enough on Saturday I might try sketching some locations, goodness knows I have a ton of bad location sketches stacked up and maybe someone could make use of them though my work is hardly professional.