Author Topic: Tactics against various factions  (Read 9693 times)

Marcus

• Devourer of Souls
  • Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • I think, therefore I am.
    • View Profile
    • http://exilian.co.uk/
    • Awards
Tactics against various factions
« on: October 14, 2009, 08:14:33 AM »
Of course, all the different factions have different ways of combat, and a tactic that works well against one does no necessarily work well against another. This thread is for posting the tactics you wind that work best against certain factions.

I find the traditional 'stand in a line and hope for the best' tactic works well against Swadians and Vaegirs, provided your troops are of a high enough quality to withstand the cavalry charges. Otherwise it's best to avoid those armies until your troops can get through a few battles without being massacred.

Your strategies?
"So if you meet me, have some courtesy, have some sympathy, and some taste. Use all your well learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste."

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 04:43:44 PM »
I mod in a flamethrower for my own personal use generally, but failing that I generally take a bunch of Rhodok Crossbowmen, stand firm and shoot the hell out of anything coming.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Snoopy

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 01:57:34 AM »
Khergits:

Take your army, lure as many Khergits as possible to follow you (make sure you are as fast, faster, or at least not WAY slower then the Khergit armies). Go into a forest, wait for them, slaughter them.

In general, they will crash into trees, fall off of cliffs, and generally fail at winning the battle. This tactic also works in mountain battles. Assuming you have a half-decent infantry force, they will catch the Khergits crashing into something, and all non-Lancers will be quickly and easily gangraped. The Lancers may get a few kills, but will soon become equally dead as well.

Rhodoks:

In general, the Rhodoks are pretty multi-purpose in terms of terrain. However, the best combo is heavy cavalry, infantry, and archers. If you can, fight them in a flatland battle. Use infantry against spearmen (or horsemen, since Spears generally stink regardless), and do whatever you can to hit the crossbows from behind with cavalry. If you have a Khergit army, circle around as much as possible, and send Lancers when needed to drop their shields.

Usually though, it comes down to who has more troops, and whether they have any sergeants/sharpshooters.

Swadians:

Hold position on a hill, wait. If you can, surround and butcher any cavalry, then charge down and destroy any infantry (due to Swadian infantry not being very strong). When in doubt, swamp them silly.

Nords:

Take your archers, use them first. When the Nords get close, charge. Ideally, hit them while they are crossing a river so as to surround and slaughter them.

Vaegirs:

Get your cavalry to follow you and your infantry/archers to hold position near a defensible position (either a river or a hill).

If possible, swamp any cavalry charges. If not, have your infantry keep the Vaegir infantry distracted. Charge their archers with your cavalry. Kill them all, then surround and destroy any Vaegir survivors.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 12:01:33 PM »
Any ideas for fighting Khergit as an inf-heavy faction?
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 12:10:21 PM »
Quote from: "Jubal"
Any ideas for fighting Khergit as an inf-heavy faction?
You can try to use rivers, cliffs and map edges in you advantage ... That's the best you can do ...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 12:12:01 PM by Silver Wolf »
"Less of a young professional - more of an ancient amateur. But frankly, I'm an absolute dream."

dzorro

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 10:39:15 AM »
Snoopy trees is actually the worst tactic to give someone, how are you playing with lag of tree ?? If you fight a big army no one can fight at a slide show pace. Mount and blade bug remember ??

Snoopy

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 05:51:15 AM »
Only works really well against the Khergits. Their advantage is being able to sneak around enemies and pepper them with arrows. In forests, they get owned due to their poor armor and lack of strong melee weaponry (barring the occasional lancer)