Author Topic: Afghanistan  (Read 2928 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Afghanistan
« on: November 08, 2009, 10:08:38 AM »
Is clearly one of the largest issues in today's world. Should the US & UK be there really? What would happen if we weren't? Can we really leave Islamic militancy alone to prosper in south-central Asia? Is Karzai's government even a legitimate alternative?
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

DeepComet5581

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Kitten with a Camera
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
    • Awards
Afghanistan
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 03:21:24 PM »
I'm guessing no.

The whole problem with Afghanistan goes back to the Cold War. When it became warm in the 60's-70's, the USSR invaded Afghanistan, which was under NATO protection. Instead of sending men there, NATO sent guns, tanks and ammunition to Afghanistan. The Afghans beat back the Soviets, but were left well alone by NATO after the Cold War. The guns got into the wrong hands and militant groups such as the Taleban increased activity.

In more modern times, Afghanistan's chief exports are Heroin and Pirated DVDs (I have a friend from Afghanistan), most of which end up in 1st World countries. The money then goes to crime lords and eventually the militant groups. This means that, while the governments of the UK and US are funding the military, the criminals and drug addicts are funding the insurgents. This means that neither side will give up until completely destroyed, which will be almost impossible to do.

Territorial disputes and Islamic militants have been present in the Middle-East and Western Asia for many years without our intervention. I think we should leave them to it and focus on homeland security (ESPECIALLY due to the 2012 Olympics).
I used to do actual stuff around here, don't you know?

I would be ever so grateful if you would visit my YouTube Channel :)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsLjOCNLe0ECID84Y3nrEjQ

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Afghanistan
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 03:55:19 PM »
The trouble is that today, if there's a pro-militant government in Afghanistan they can actually reach right out to the UK comparatively easily. Also... if Afghanistan goes, Pakistan will go too; the Taleban will just be able to walk over the Afghans and then double back to push right into Pakistan... and then what? Nuclear armed terrorists? I'd rather not have that happening myself...
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

joek

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Afghanistan
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 09:10:09 PM »
Quote from: "Boyninja616"
The whole problem with Afghanistan goes back to the Cold War. When it became warm in the 60's-70's, the USSR invaded Afghanistan, which was under NATO protection. Instead of sending men there, NATO sent guns, tanks and ammunition to Afghanistan. The Afghans beat back the Soviets, but were left well alone by NATO after the Cold War. The guns got into the wrong hands and militant groups such as the Taleban increased activity.
Quickly pick you up on this - the weapons the US sent to Afghanistan didn't 'get into the wrong hands', the US sent the guns to the Taliban and Al Qaeda as the 'resistance' against soviet rule.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Afghanistan
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 10:08:31 PM »
Yup (though it was just the Taleban back then, Al Quaeda are a newer element to the Afghan equation)

joek

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Afghanistan
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 05:56:49 PM »
Quote from: "Jubal"
Yup (though it was just the Taleban back then, Al Quaeda are a newer element to the Afghan equation)
Al Qaeda being called Al Qaeda are a new element, among the other funders of the Afghan Resistance was a Saudi Prince called Osama Bin Laden and his bodyguards/private army.