Author Topic: Europe 1080 Review  (Read 10907 times)

Sumething

• View Profile
    • Awards
Europe 1080 Review
« on: April 04, 2010, 09:56:33 AM »
This is my review I wrote a little while ago for Dimos about his mod Europe 1080. You maybe know some other reviews of MountFanBlade. However, here is your review about Europe 1080  ;) . Enjoy!

Dimos Europe 1080 Mod

This review will describe briefly what this mod is up to. Such as the features, troops, scenes, models etc. Also some information will be given about the history of this mod.

History
The mod was started by Dimos and he got helped by several members of the Taleworlds Forum. After some tragic happenings on the this forum he had to move his board to Exilian, where he continued to work on his mod. Eventually V0.1 and now we are up to V0.2. I will try to give a good and short description about this mod as best as I can.

The mod is situated in Europe during the 11th (dah). There are a lot of factions on a very, very large map. You will be able to visit several custom locations such as monasteries and other locations. A lot of troops are available and a large map for you to explore.

First experience
At first, I saw this mod had some backsides. You can notice that it still is a WIP and a lot of things are not yet improved or fix completely or worked out correctly. These things vary for example from the ends of the map, to some troops etcetera. This can all be forgiven as long as there comes a good mod out of it, which will, according to Dimos and his team.

Playing
As noted above, the map where you are able to play on is very large. I would say it has the max size of what can be achieved with the map editor. In the map, there are around 22 factions with different cultures. Some examples of these are the Egyptians, Mores and many European factions as well.

A lot of items have had retextures and are edited to give a more unique look to the mod. They succeeded in a way, but still in progress. Which is sad actually, there can be way more from this mod if more development was done on it.

One thing that definitely should be mentioned and what is a strong point of this mod, are the scenes. Their size is often huge and really worth walking through them. Also the custom locations or neutral locations are also nicely done and offer good gameplay with on a good variety.

But sometimes I did wish I had a horse in a scene,

and when you are up, there is no one in the settlement!

The troops usually vary from faction to faction, which is hard to with so much factions. I did see however some of the same armour coming by, but that is not something to be really worried about. The mod is defiantly one thing, fun to play!

Features
The mod has several features in this version. These are for example the naval combat, patrols and the kingdom management to set up your own kingdom. And with so much factions it is very useful feature, since you can easy declare war etc.

Only some bugs occurred. This was during an encounter with a certain patrol that somehow belonged to my faction, which it did not. A bug to fix for the next version. Also some new mercenaries were nice to see and to use in battle. They also fit in the time period and can be trained to strong units.

Also included is the Kingdom Management feature from Highlander. So you can set up tour own kingdom is this large world, which can be pretty a challenge on such a large map and with divers factions.

The naval combat makes use of a new ship, and a system of boarding. Enemies now use a real walking plank to enter your ship. Besides that, here are also some bugs which need attention.

Verdict
The mod is pretty fun to play. With a large map and many factions the mod is pretty interesting with a lot of potentials. A downside is then that there are not many towns and villages etcetera and that they are far separated form each other.

But besides that, there need to be a few fixes, if this mod wants to be called really good. A lot of bugs and other things that should be attended are plenty here. Since it is a WIP, the situation is understandable.

The really strong point of this mod were the scenes. Most of the towns have got a complete redone and also tournaments are made more exciting with new scenes. Even several villages have been rescened!

This story pretty much covers it all. Hopefully I could give an image of this mod and maybe you would be interested to play it.

Visit fore more information the topic in the Pioneers Guild or the board in Exilian.

Some more screenshots of Europe 1080.

Spoiler: click to toggle

Jezze

« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 02:29:20 PM by Jezze »

Dimos

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Europe 1080 Review
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 02:44:29 PM »
Thanks very much for this preview my friend Jesse. But... what happened to mount Fan Blade?

Will they publish this review also there?

Thank you once more, Cheers!
Team member of: Europe 1080 / Southern Realms / Britannia 1100 Gold

Sumething

• View Profile
    • Awards
Europe 1080 Review
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 08:13:49 PM »
I have no word from them. They said they would try to publish it, but I doubt it.

Dimos

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Europe 1080 Review
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 07:10:49 PM »
Yeah... That ain't good, but we simply don't need anything from them, so we are cool!  :P  

Thanks once more for the Preview. I apreciate it!
Team member of: Europe 1080 / Southern Realms / Britannia 1100 Gold

Marcus

• Devourer of Souls
  • Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • I think, therefore I am.
    • View Profile
    • http://exilian.co.uk/
    • Awards
Europe 1080 Review
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 07:56:17 PM »
A newspost has been made about these two reviews:

http://www.exilian.co.uk/index.php
"So if you meet me, have some courtesy, have some sympathy, and some taste. Use all your well learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste."

Sumething

• View Profile
    • Awards
Europe 1080 Review
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 10:26:40 PM »
Thank you very much! Hope you all liked the review/preview ;).