Author Topic: Do people trust scientists enough?  (Read 1929 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Do people trust scientists enough?
« on: May 24, 2010, 08:27:17 PM »
I get increasingly worried that, with the trend to trusting authority less, too little trust is being placed in science these days. While it's always good to question everything - indeed this is what science is based on - the fact is that most people don't understand a lot of science. This makes it easy for frauds and cranks to come up with "simple" bogus explanations and try and discredit scientists; people often believe them, too.

What do y'all think?
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Son of the King

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • SotK
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 12:13:50 AM »
Like you say, a lot of people don't understand much science. Its not because your average Joe doesn't have a PhD in Physics (although it would be epic if they did), but I think more because a lot of people look at scientific research as unneeded spending without understanding the benefits of science.

For example the LHC cost a massive amount of money but imo is a good investment for science, whereas some people that I know just see the figure and think ugh what a waste whats the point of it anyway?, despite my best efforts to persuade them otherwise.

I think that the fact that science tends to be viewed as a "boring" subject at school (alongside other maths based stuff) and so tends to have people paying little attention in. I remember being at school and looking forward to Chemistry practicals, but other than that shunned science (sadly) until we did stuff about space, which sparked my interest in physics. The syllabus for science - physics especially - doesn't really seem to lend itself to being an interesting subject as there is a solid amount of maths in there iirc, which can cause less mathematically able people to just give up on trying.

As for the trust aspect, I also see this, but to be honest can't really think of a way to increase trust in science again, unless the authority back it more strongly. Although having said that the way people currently view MPs and the like, the general public might think the money should be better spent on say "defence" or MPs garden ornaments (the public were happy with that whole thing yes? :P ).

comrade_general

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 01:24:07 AM »
I find it hard to trust Stephen Hawking because anyone could use a Macintosh and make him say anything on those shows. :P

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 08:50:34 AM »
I do actually love Stephen Hawking though. He's an amazing man... nobody else has ever survived as long as he has with that disease, and he's still doing top-quality science.

Agreed, particularly in the media science needs to be backed more strongly. I mean, the amount they made out of the whole "climategate" thing - which didn't actually change the scientific consensus at all, it was just scientists discussing data prsentation to the public more or less - was idiotic. I think also that the general "school is boring" attitute to most subjects ids really deeply worrying. Look at China or India, the chidren there would die for free, well-funded education, and here so many people just can't be bothered.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...