Posted on October 17, 2017, 11:13:30 PM by Jubal
Write for Exilian Articles
Exilian Articles needs YOU! We're always looking for more volunteer contributors to our regular weekly posts, the more the merrier.
We're especially looking for articles on the following areas:
- Creators discussing their technical and creative processes with reference to their own work
- Creators outlining and introducing their settings and inspirations and the roots behind their projects
- Academics (amateur or professional) giving popular-end discussions of their work or interesting topics for creators, designers, and the general public
- Other interesting discussions of topics around culture, science, fiction, writing, tech, and geek crafts, especially where these have unusual or interesting twists or introduce whole new topics to our readers
- "Geek humour", especially that which focusses on science, history, creative & development processes, etc
Of course, having a read of what's already been posted
is probably the best starting point for seeing the sort of tone and articles we want to get! No particular prior experience of writing is needed, and we're happy to provide support with proofreading, so if you're a creator who's never done article writing before then there's no need to be shy about coming forward. Article writing can be a great thing to practice and a good way to engage new audiences with what you're doing.
Exilian Articles is here to support independent creative work and links between that and other arts/academic areas. As such, submissions should ideally be in a public-facing style rather than being academic essays, and we encourage writers to think about what parts of their work may be of interest to other creators and designers, be that useful tips from current creators on design work, or historians highlighting material culture or story-focussed elements that may be interesting for game developers, and so on. Creative submissions are welcome on occasionbut are not the focus of this section, and we encourage people to share their creative work in The Storytellers' Hall
(poems and stories) or The Artisans' Guilds
(music, drama, art, comics).
It should also be noted here that whilst we will accept some pitches of this type, we try and avoid having too many posts relating to major fandoms, as we're particularly here to support the obscure, unusual, unknown and unexpected and to give creators a chance to introduce people to their own settings!If you have any queries related to this, or to the submission guidelines below, please post in this thread and we'll be happy to answer.
Submission Notes And Guidelines
- Ideal submission length ca 800-1000 words, 2000 usual maximum.
- All writers must have an Exilian account (so we can show the post as being yours).
- All submissions should be sent to megadux[at]exilian[dot]co[dot]uk. If you wish to format your own post in BBCode, please do, but we're happy to format it for you. If you're not doing your own formatting, please send us any images you want to use, with captions if you have them in mind, and ensure that you give us the URLs for any links you want included.
- Please state when submitting whether you want to be credited under your real name or a pseudonym; our standard practice is to credit people under their forum username. We reserve the right to reject submissions: if you want to know whether we'll accept a submission on a certain topic, we're happy to reply to queries either by email or posted in this thread.
- Our editors reserve the right to do minor edits for clarity etc on your work: if you want to have a final check through any edits we make, please let us know when you submit. We'll of course let you know if we feel any more major edits are needed.
- We cannot pay writers under any circumstances: Exilian is a non-profit organisation and all the writers and editorial staff for Exilian Articles do so as volunteers. We appreciate that this may limit some people's ability to contribute, but we do not have the financial base or support needed to change this situation at present.