Author Topic: Favourite Faction  (Read 24647 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Favourite Faction
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2010, 08:56:45 AM »
THere should really be less phalanx fighting in RTW - and Phalangites should be less good, too. In reality, the legions could often take on a phalanx and have a reasonable chance of winning, certainly on uneven ground. Nevertheless, it's true that Gauls do suck.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

comrade_general

Favourite Faction
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2010, 01:39:52 PM »
Quote from: "Jubal"
In reality, the legions could often take on a phalanx and have a reasonable chance of winning, certainly on uneven ground.
That seems to be the case when I use Romans against phalangites. Which game have you been playing?  :P

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Favourite Faction
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2010, 01:51:14 PM »
With early legions, head-on?
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

comrade_general

Favourite Faction
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2010, 02:01:52 PM »
Well you don't just plow them right into their ranks, you gotta use some tactics. ;) The legion had better mobility which allowed it to envelop the more stationary phalanx from the flanks.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Favourite Faction
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2010, 05:15:46 PM »
Ya, but in actuality on uneven ground a bunch of Hastati could have taken on a phalanx; anywhere htere was a slight gap due to undeven ground a legionary could've gotten in and seriously messed up the hoplites.

debux

• RTW Modders and Tutorialists
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Favourite Faction
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2010, 12:39:02 AM »
Why isn't Spain in the list? After all it can be playable. Their iberian infantry kicks ass!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

START ANSWERING PHOENIXGUARD! POST AS MUCH AS YE DID IN YE OLD DAYS :D

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Favourite Faction
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2010, 01:48:35 PM »
Carthage get Iberians too - and personally I've never liked them much. Give me some Poeni inf or merc hoplites to hold the line and my longshields to do the damage.

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Favourite Faction
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2010, 09:53:20 PM »
Hoplites always kicked ass... They can crush both cavalry and infantry, defend walls and hold lines while attacking...
"Less of a young professional - more of an ancient amateur. But frankly, I'm an absolute dream."

debux

Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Favourite Faction
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2010, 03:19:21 AM »
Carthage get Iberians too - and personally I've never liked them much. Give me some Poeni inf or merc hoplites to hold the line and my longshields to do the damage.
Lol, I was being sarcastic. I have not seen a good use for Iberian infantry until today, unless it is to spam it on Iberia.

I actually voted for Carthage. They suck bigtime in-game (campaign), which is why I always strive to get them the best on mods. Usually what defines wether I like a mod or not is the troop selection for Carthage.

Now that's being a fanboy :P I'm worse than the 10 year old MW2 players
(\__/)

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Favourite Faction
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2011, 04:24:19 AM »
Britons cause they got pretty much nothing going for them.  They have no cavalry.  And I don't like chariots.  

It's like being vegetarian.  Its easy to lose weight as a vegetarian cause there's crap-all to eat.  And I don't like vegetables.  

EDIT* Oh and Greeks, cause I like Armoured Hoplites.  They're just made of all sorts of awesome.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 04:28:17 AM by phoenixguard09 »
The Norbayne Campaign Instagram page. Give us a cheeky follow if you like. :)
By the power of Ga'haarr I command you to vanish! VANISH!
I CANNOT BE KILLED BUT WITH FIRE!
(\__/)

Crazier than a crack-head cat and here to make sticky treats out of your vital organs.

Son of the King

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • SotK
    • Awards
Favourite Faction
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2011, 04:34:48 AM »
Quote from: "debux"
Lol, I was being sarcastic. I have not seen a good use for Iberian infantry until today, unless it is to spam it on Iberia.

I actually voted for Carthage. They suck bigtime in-game (campaign), which is why I always strive to get them the best on mods. Usually what defines wether I like a mod or not is the troop selection for Carthage.

Now that's being a fanboy :P I'm worse than the 10 year old MW2 players
There is no use for Iberian infantry. None. I once besieged a Roman city, got to the plaza easily before having 6 full units of Iberians (iirc) totally wiped out by something like a 14 man general's bodyguard. There were hardly any dead bodyguards at the end either...

Despite this I really like playing as Carthage. Like Jubal said, Poeni Infantry + Longshields :D .

debux

Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Favourite Faction
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2011, 05:28:06 AM »
I think I'd actually consider poeni, if they wouldn't get eaten up by pila so easily. Kill rates on vanilla are incredibly annoying. I actually have given up on vanilla, since the only really usefull unit is sacred band infantry (in the infantry section), which is totally unrealistic and not fun at all.
(\__/)

Captain Carthage

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Favourite Faction
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2011, 11:03:30 PM »
Britannia all the way!!!

For two reasons.

1. Patriotism

2. One time I was defending my homestead against the foul Romans who use their evil machinery to create a breach in the walls. The foolish Roman commander charged all his troops into the gap. Fortunately they were bottled in by some chosen swordsmen and I had 2 units of war hounds and 2 units of head hurlers nearby. As a result the entire Roman force mass routed and were promptly run down by my chariot warlord. Good times :D.
Scum of the highest degree and don't let charitable citizens tell you otherwise.