Author Topic: Swap 2014  (Read 28267 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Swap 2014
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2014, 04:43:22 PM »
I think it's now Tom's go?

Also, CG, your turn for WHTW I believe when you have time (unless anyone else wants a go at that).
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

comrade_general

« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2014, 06:09:22 PM »
Right, sent to Tom.

Tom

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2014, 06:49:06 PM »
And this is all where it goes tits up :P

comrade_general

« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2014, 06:57:35 PM »
Tom your email didn't work.

Tom

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2014, 07:00:11 PM »
I've changed my settings so it should, sorry cg.  :-\

comrade_general

« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2014, 07:05:25 PM »
Still failed Tom.  :(

ahowl11

• RTW Modders and Tutorialists
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2014, 10:19:56 PM »
I can go after Tom
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

Tom

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2014, 09:26:37 AM »
Can I find an email for you on your profile?

ahowl11

Voting Member
  • RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2014, 05:10:06 PM »
Messaged it to you Tom
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

Tom

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2014, 09:02:44 AM »
So I'm just going to give a brief overview of what I did in my twenty turns here and provide a link to an imgur album of all the screenies I took.

Firstly, I decided to try and destroy all of the larger German and Dacian armies just hanging around inside our borders, I accomplished that with ease.
Then, I pushed North and took one of the Northern German settlements as I was pushing East to take a Dacian settlement. I took both easily, at this time almost all of the towns needed to be upgraded so I had to shell out for that each turn which was very expensive. Most of our towns are not very happy and we had a couple of riots but nothing too serious.
Pontus declared war on us but all they have done is blockaded a couple of our ports. However, they have a very large stack by their capital so they might try to launch an invasion, if so, build up a bit of a navy in the sea near our capital to hold them back.
I then took the Dacian capital and killed loads of their warriors, they only have one settlement left now.
The Germans have another settlement to the North that I wasn't aware was there so I rode out with 500 or so men to try and take it, unfortunately, on the way I met a 2000 strong stack of mostly spear phalanx. In that battle I killed 1400 of their soldiers but lost 400 of mine in return. :/ Because of the large stack of Germans which are now marching on our most northerly settlement I am funnelling several smaller armies towards the now besieged town we took off of them. We need to break their warband then ride to take out their town and any remaining armies around it as they are a threat inside our borders. Once we have achieved that I would say we need to crush Dacia, make peace with Germany after a bit more expansion then turn on the Greeks/Pontus.

imgur link for album: http://imgur.com/a/NP49O#0
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 09:21:36 AM by Tom »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2014, 04:00:05 PM »
Any news, ahowl?
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

ahowl11

Voting Member
  • RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2014, 07:18:20 PM »
I've taken a few settlements. Should be finished today

ahowl11

Voting Member
  • RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2014, 11:58:05 PM »
Took longer than expected and only was able to get to 215 BC. Sent to Jubal. I conquered a lot of the German Territory, Dacia is eliminated. We are at war with the Greeks, they took Tylis after a hard battle, only to be slaughtered by my relief force in the field. They now have a few stacks coming our way and I have taken all of our horse archers out into the field to meet them. Jubal, have fun with that! Also Pontus is besieging Campus Alanni but with some slick maneuvering you should destroy them. Also, main western army is close to reaching Bordesholm. Don't stop until the Germans are crushed!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2014, 11:39:05 PM »
I have completed my go - very much a turn of two halves.

Up to about 210 things went progressively worse. I was basically being too defensive, Bordesholm I took but then mostly ended up concentrating on slowing Greek attacks. The main issue rapidly became that I was running out of money - and then, soon after, that I was running out of money and the Brutii were attacking. Also Porolissum revolted. And Pontus were attacking again.

The Brutii and Julii both in turn offered us deals to become their protectorate. These were bad moves on their part as they involved giving us enough funds to sort our immediate cashflow needs. The army out of Germany was redirected south, swept past the Alps and, with the aid of a spy, rushed into undefended Patavium, capturing it quickly. From then our fortunes were turning; I took Thessalonica, which unfortunately turned out to have almost nobody living there; Byzantium, isolated, soon fell, and from there it was a case of holding the Julii at Patavium, beating Brutii combat armies in the field and then seizing their towns by whatever means possible (spies, lots of spies). We definitely won a lot of field battles, with occasional losses and particularly nasty casualty figures among our leaders. Apollonia was taken after a hard fight through the southern Balkans, with Salona also falling.

In the East, we beat Pontus a lot of times, not much else to say.

The upshot of which is:
OUTSIDE GREECE
- We still need to retake Porolissum, there's an army going south to do that. Also if it has men left removing Thrace is now probably desirable.
- Keep the German frontier calm if you can, they're fighting the Britons hard.
- Similarly, hold the Julii at Patavium, the Brutii should be next focus
- Consider moving the capital to somewhere like Tylis as we shift west.
- Keep the anti-Pontus forces sitting tight, keep them well stocked, and you'll be fine. Don't let the defences get run down over there.

IN GREECE
- We've got the Dalmatian/Croatian coast but we're holding it by a knife-edge and are horribly outnumbered.
- Horse archers, preferably heavy horse archers. And lots and lots of them.
- Don't get bogged down in lengthy sieges - spies or siege weapons
- Double don't get bogged down in combat, they have places that can make Urban Cohorts and you will be stuffed if they catch you.
- Use mercs, particularly Merc Hoplites, as garrison troops
- If you see an opportunity to take a badly defended city, go for it. Even if it involves going for the Brutii holdings in Italy or something.
- The Brutii hold the Peloponnese and southern Italy, plus Thermon; Thermon seems quite solid, though if you can tempt the armies into losing some field battles they can be whittled down. Consider going for Tarentum though, or if you can build some boats eg in Byzantium (which I started doing) an attack on Athens would help spread the Brutii more thinly.
- Get the Brutii to attack you in the field, not vice versa. This is pretty easy in Greece with all the passes and means they're slogging up to you under a hail of arrows.

I'm sending to Bercor, I think?

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2014, 11:46:39 PM »
Of course.