Author Topic: Discussion: New Faction Units  (Read 59053 times)

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Discussion: New Faction Units
« Reply #225 on: March 11, 2014, 12:35:07 AM »
Okay, you should revise then if we could have both axe and spear Takabara ;) Yeah the Armenian cavalry could also be available as an AoR unit, but I think Pontos should also be able to recruit them in their home territories after the ''reforms'', resembling the alliance with Tigranes and the following influx of Armenian soldiers.

''I found a city of bricks and left a city of marble''

Augustus

Fëanáro

• RTR Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #226 on: March 11, 2014, 09:49:53 PM »
I prefer using "d" instead of "c", it gives a greeker (if that's a word) inflection, like Antigonid or Seleucid. :P

And yes, Pontus definitely needs some kind of lighter Cataphract cavalry.

Actually, in that case the "c" would b more appropriate :)

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #227 on: March 11, 2014, 10:10:32 PM »
Yeah, I'm not the biggest expert in the world in regards to Ancient Greek. :P
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tekowiāt

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #228 on: March 12, 2014, 05:46:50 AM »
If sounding 'Greeker' is not an argument there, convention definitely is though.

Tekowiāt

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #229 on: March 12, 2014, 05:50:56 AM »
Oh and by the way Mausolos, keep the gameplay in mind, regarding the Cataphracts. Anything can happen in the game, Pontus ending up as a bitter enemy of Armenia, for one.

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #230 on: March 12, 2014, 03:31:48 PM »
Oh and by the way Mausolos, keep the gameplay in mind, regarding the Cataphracts. Anything can happen in the game, Pontus ending up as a bitter enemy of Armenia, for one.

Sure, but we want to have realistic units, right? ;) Also, do you think the Armenian cavalry would be equipped like cataphracts?

Augustus

Tekowiāt

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #231 on: March 14, 2014, 05:56:44 AM »
Of course. A realistic setting so far in the game however is a whole other can of worms. Also yes, 'Armenian Heavy Cavalry' could only refer to Cataphracts by the time of the alliance.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 06:01:54 AM by Tekowiāt »

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #232 on: March 30, 2014, 09:52:13 PM »
Parthian Roster posted in OP
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

bucellarii

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #233 on: April 15, 2014, 11:13:05 PM »
ahowl11 asked me to comment on the Roman unit roster....

I would say that broadly speaking the proposed roster is fine depending on the team’s vision of the mod. However, here are some  episodic and fairly random observations:

1) The ‘Polybian’ roster more accurately reflects the late third century/early second century army of the Roman Republic rather than that the early third century, which is when the mod opens.

2) It is reasonable to conclude that the changes in the equipment and organisation of the Roman hoplite army can be dated, under Samnite influence, to the end of the fourth century BCE (Diod. Sic. 23.2, Sall. Cat. 51.37-8, Ath. 6.273F, Ined. Vat) and consequently call into question the major military reform, or series of reforms, supposedly instigated by M. Furius Camillus (Liv. 4.59, Dion. Hal. 14.9.1-2, Plut. Cam. 40.3-4). For example, Roman tradition put the blame for the great Roman defeat at the Allia in 390 BCE on religious flaws, not tactical weakness (Cass. Hem frg. 20; Cn. Gell. Frg 25 – Macrob. Sat. 1.16.21-24; Verrius Flaccus ap. Gell. NA 5.17.2) Liv 6.1.12) and this is one of the factors that counts against an early fourth century reform. Moreover, Camillus is said to have effected reforms which involved the adoption of the scutum to counteract the Gallic attack of 367; but the authenticity of the details of this episode are most doubtful….Certainly there is no reason…(to) argue for a Camillan reform of the army: Oakley S, P. A Commentary on Livy, Books VI-X, Volume II: Books VII-VIII (Oxford, 1998)

3) Livy believed that an early Roman manipular legion compromised thirty maniples of antepilani (front columnists), fifteen each of hastati and principes (with twenty leves attached to each maniple) and fifteen ordines (units) of pilani (columnists), each ordo divided into three vexilla (banners or detachments), one each of triarii, rorarii, and accensi (Liv. 8.8.5-14). However, It would seem impossible to believe that Livy’s legion ever existed in reality…the whole farrago appears as an antiquarian reconstruction, concocted out of scattered pieces of information and misinformation….One of its underlying features seems to be a strained attempt to establish some sort of relation between the new military order and the five categories of the census classification (Sumner, G. V. The Legion and the Centuriate Organization, The Journal of Roman Studies Vol. 60, 1970).

4) Details about the early third century Roman army are elusive and whilst I could reproduce extensive research posts I have submitted elsewhere on the subject I have no real appetite to re-visit old ground in any detail. Consequently, I will restrict myself to suggesting that although Livy appears not to have considered either the rorarii or accensi as light troops there is good reason to believe that the rorarii were indeed part of the light-armed. The accensi might more properly be viewed as non-combatant supernumeraries.  Thus one is left to conclude that the leves distributed amongst the hastati were less well equipped than the rorarii of the ‘fourth line’, who may have been equipped in a similar manner to Polybios’ grosphomachoi (usually translated into Latin as ‘velites’) or that  leves and the rorarii were conterminous; both being equipped with only a spear and javelins.

5) With regard to the principes there is no general agreement about whether in the early third century they were still armed with the ‘phalanx’ spear. Dionysios of Halikarnassos (Dion. Hal. 20.11.2) is the only ancient source who states that the maniples of the principes were equipped with such a weapon and whilst there appears to be a growing tendency among modern scholars to accept the reliability of Dionysios’ testimony, so far as I can tell only Nathan Rosenstein (Phalanges in Rome in New Perspectives on Ancient Warfare; Brill, 2010) has highlighted a particularly troubling feature of this account; namely the claim that the principes at Benevetum needed to grasp their dorata (spears) with both hands.  Accordingly Rosenstein speculates that the dorata carried by the principes “must have been some type of sarissa” and suggests that this represented a temporary ploy to counter Pyrrhus’ sarissa armed mercenaries. In support of his argument Rosenstein points to Polyb. 2.33.1-4 who describes an example of Roman innovation to counter a specific tactical threat. Whilst, I am not convinced by Rosenstein’s theory I am unable to offer any convincing alternative and I am therefore left to posit the following:

a) The principes (or triarii if in agreement with D. Hoyos, The Age of Overseas Expansion (264–146 bc) in A Companion to the Roman Army ed. Erdkamp; Blackwell, 2007) at Benevetum were equipped with dorata/hastae but Dionysios of Halikarnassos was mistaken when he stated that they were grasped by both hands

b) The passage of Dionysios of Halikarnassos is so flawed that no weight can be placed upon it

c) Rosenstein is in fact correct

6) In view of the above it is possible that at the start of the mod you may wish to include spear and javelin armed leves (no helmet or shield) rather than velites and spear armed principes. For example, there is reasonable evidence to suppose that the better equipped velites were a product of the bellum Hannibalicum (Liv. 26.4.9 contra 21.55.11; Val. Max 2.3.3). Similarly, the transition from light to heavy Roman cavalry equipment may also date to this period (Polyb. 6.25.3-11). The year 211 seems to have been the beginning of a turning point for the Roman cavalry as Livy’s account of the creation of the velites in 211 suggests (McCall, Jeremiah B. The Cavalry of the Roman Republic : Cavalry Combat and Elite Reputations in the Middle and Late Republic; Routledge, 2002).

7) Primary evidence for the arms, equipment and organisation of the socii nominis Latini (Allies of the Latin Name) and the socii Italici (Italian Allies) is scarce. The equipment and tactics of the Romans and Latins were supposedly indistinguishable when they fought one another in 340 BCE (Liv. 8.8.15). However, Livy’s description is probably an anachronism retrojecting the homogeneity of the opposing armies during the bellum Marsicum of 91 -87 BCE (Army and Battle during the Conquest of Italy: Rawlings, 2007). Military homogenisation was most likely the result of a fluid process of interaction that gradually eliminated regional Italic panoplies during the third century. This process included the Roman adoption of equipment and tactics from the Italic peoples, an interchange especially associated with the Samnites (Ined. Vat. 3; Diod. Sic. 23.2 Sall. Cat. 51.37-38; Ath. 6.273). The socii (allies) were presumably organized and equipped in much the same way as the cives Romani (Roman citizens) by the time of the bellum Hannibalicum, “since otherwise it would have been difficult for Roman generals to draw up  armies of mixed citizen and allied contingents” (Hannibal’s War: Lazenby 1978).

That’s it for now. I will leave it to the full time mod members to determine what they wish to  make of the above

Regards

buc

anunnak

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #234 on: April 16, 2014, 05:45:26 PM »

Hey,

bucellarii is right, i second his comments.At this stage of my thesis research i came to the same conclusions. And it seems we read the same sources and critical comments.  For some more info about this subject this makes a good read too:

http://σσσ.digressus.org/articles/romanizationpp060-085-burns.pdf

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #235 on: April 16, 2014, 07:26:52 PM »
Okay so basically from the period of 280 BC to about 211 BC, Principes used a Spear and there were Leves attached to the Maniples; There was either no lorica hamata used or it was used only by the wealthiest of soldiers/officers; Italians and Romans were still distinguished by their own arms and armour. Most Italians resembled Roman troops around the 2nd Punic War.
Also, Leves and Rorarii were roughly the same, being equipped with some javelins, nothing else; Equites were more lightly armed, with maybe just a breastplate.

Did I get this right?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 07:40:19 PM by ahowl11 »
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

Alavaria

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #236 on: April 16, 2014, 08:43:28 PM »
Roman pikemen... interesting concept.

bucellarii

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #237 on: April 16, 2014, 09:31:44 PM »
Did I get this right?

Not quite  :)

basically from the period of 280 BC to about 211 BC, Principes used a Spear

No buddy, as has been previously observed the system envisaged in our passage cannot have lasted very long after that period (i.e. the bellum Pyrrhicum). Polybius’s narrative of the Gallic wars makes it clear that by then the triarii alone had thrusting spears (Rawson. E, The Literary Sources for the Pre-Marian Army; Papers of the British School at Rome 39, 1971)

Also, Leves and Rorarii were roughly the same, being equipped with some javelins, nothing else

Livy says those were called lights (i.e. leves) who carried only a spear and javelins (Liv. 8.8.5).

Equites were more lightly armed, with maybe just a breastplate

Polybios says The cavalry are now armed like that of Greece, but in old times they had no cuirasses but fought in light undergarments, the result of which was that they were able to dismount and mount again at once with great dexterity and facility, but were exposed to great danger in close combat, as they were nearly naked.  Their lances too were unserviceable in two respects. In the first place they made them so slender and pliant that it was impossible to take a steady aim, and before they could fix the head in anything, the shaking due to the mere motion of the horse caused most of them to break.  Next, as they did not fit the butt-ends with spikes, they could only deliver the first stroke with the point and after this if they broke they were of no further service.  Their buckler was made of ox-hide, somewhat similar in shape to the round bosse cakes used at sacrifices. They were not of any use for attacking, as they were not firm enough; and when the leather covering peeled off and rotted owing to the rain, unserviceable as they were before, they now became entirely so.

Polyb. 6.25.3-7

There was either no lorica hamata used or it was used only by the wealthiest of soldiers/officers

The spread of lorica hamata among the prima classis is likely to have started during the last quarter of the third century. Before this time mail cuirasses are likely to have been extremely rare. See the Roman armour thread for further details.

I'm now away and unlikely to be able to post anything else until late next week

Regards

buc
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 09:53:57 PM by bucellarii »

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #238 on: April 16, 2014, 10:03:41 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up!
Okay thanks for letting us know :)

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #239 on: April 24, 2014, 12:32:08 AM »
For the Roman units:

Velites: Wearing javelines, a small shield and a gladius, they were introduced in 211 BC to counter the heavy Campanian cavalry. Initially, they fought mixed with the equites and replaced rorarii, leves & accensi. Abolished by Gaius Marius 100- 90 BC.

Heavy Infantry:

''(..) All (Hastati, Principes, Triarii) wore a bronze helmet and carried a long, semi-cylindrical body shield, constructed of plywood and covered with calfskin to gve it an effective mixture of flexibility and resilience. The wealthier men wore a mail or scale cuirass, but some made do with a simple bronze plate strapped in place over the chest.'' Adrian Goldsworthy, Roman Warfare, P. 50

The gladius hispaniensis and the scutum were introduced by the three Scipios between 220 and 210 BC. .Before that Etruscan/Greek swords were used.

Augustus