Author Topic: 0.6-1.0  (Read 25117 times)

Solon de Atenas

• RTRA Mod Leader
    • View Profile
    • Rome Total Realism Anabasis
    • Awards
Re: 0.6-1.0
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2014, 08:09:34 PM »
So basically, unless we create an entirely new culture for Iberia, with customized buildings and so on, we'd better keep them barbarian.

Yes, it would be better, but put them like carthaginian or greeks could be fine. The edetani capital Arse (or latin saguntum) was greek colony mixing with iberian king goverment. Something freak... hahahaahah But iberian people are so much specific to be represented with RTW resources and engine. Wherever, there are other interesting iberian faction of non iberian ethnic like celtiberian arevaci or celtici lusitani or celtiberi themself...

Indian for when we make the Mauryan faction campaign

Yes, in RTRA 2.0 we have included indian culture based on eastern but with different temples (stuppas), different portraits and other resources. Its easy.

Sorry for my english mistakes guys...  ::)

I TAN I EPI TAS

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2014, 08:40:51 PM »
I strongly agree with the Sloth. Carthage should have its own punic culture, maybe shared with Numidia. They had almost nothing in common with Parthia, and even the UI would look out of place. The seven cultures should be, in my opinion: Roman, Greek, Punic, Barbarian, Eastern, Nomad and Indian (if we want to make the Maurians playable).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 08:46:56 PM by Bercor »

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2014, 08:49:43 PM »
Okay sounds good to me. We will rename Carthaginian to Punic, scrap Egyptian for now and then add Nomad
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2014, 09:40:22 PM »
I have a problem with the name ''Punic'' since it reflects the Roman name and Numidia has nothing to do with Phoenicia. Quite hard to find something better, though, African doesn't sound like the best solution either.

And if the Nomads are only those in the Northern steppes we might as well name it Scythian?
''I found a city of bricks and left a city of marble''

Augustus

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2014, 10:15:56 PM »
Yeah, taking all into account, I think that "Punic" it's better than "Carthaginian" or "North African".

In regards to the "Nomad" Culture, I suspect xeofox wouldn't like that we name it "Scythian", because it's too specific.

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2014, 10:34:26 PM »
Wasn't Scythians how the Greeks named all those tribes taken together? And why is Punic better than Carthaginian?

Augustus

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2014, 10:50:52 PM »
It was? I always thought that was the name of a specific tribe... In that case I wouldn't oppose call it "Scythian" culture.

I prefer "Punic" to "Carthaginian" for two reasons. Firstly, punic it's a latin word, while carthaginian it's an english word. In historical mods, I think ancient language should always be used when it's known to the player. Secondly, when experts refer to the carthaginian culture and language,mthey usually use the word punic.

xeofox

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2014, 11:14:28 PM »
In the European sources the whole territory of the nomads from the Aral Sea to the Black Sea known as Scythia. Scythians lived near the Black Sea(north). What is known of Sakas that they were (same) Scythians, knew the Scythian language, BUT SPEAK their language. Once again I say, SCYTHIA is from European sources. Others you need to investigate. Many Russians also call the whole area of Scythia. If we want to give individual titles(indian for example), will have to work on it.  :(

mid 1 Millennium BC (great sciphia) lot of sciphian archaeological monuments

2 bc-2ad (*lot of sarmatians)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 11:22:28 PM by xeofox »

xeofox

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2014, 11:20:19 PM »
the Scythians kins sakas but settled near Black Sea

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2014, 11:30:54 PM »
Mmh which name would you prefer for the whole culture then, Scythian or Nomadic or Steppe or something else?

@Bercor Is it? At least over here ,,Punisch'' isn't used anymore since many historians think it implies a deragotary Roman attitude towards Carthage. How is Punic more Latin than Carthaginian anyway?  :P Carthago is also a Latin word, after all. On the other hand, if we include Numidia in the same culture Punic might not be the worst option since ,,Carthaginian'' obviously implies that it is Carthage.

Augustus

xeofox

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2014, 11:37:31 PM »
____

xeofox

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2014, 11:38:38 PM »
if we talk about matters nomads: Dahae will go south. Sakas will go to the southeast (the solution). Sarmatians will go to the west and south (dissolving the Scythians). The name there scyphians or nomad (does not matter)!
About ,, Punisch 'I can not say... now.

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2014, 11:42:00 PM »
Yeah, I don't really want to make this a big thing. Carthaginian and Punic are, more or less, synonims, so , strictly speaking, it really doesn't matter the word we use. I only think that the latter sounds better, because, as we'll put Numidia within the same culture, it seems more abragent for the people that don't know that well.
But now I'm curious, why do the german historians consider that "Punic" is a negative name given by the romans to the carthaginians?

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2014, 12:06:26 AM »
@Xeofox Okay cheers, it's up to Master ahowl then if we are going to use Nomad or Scythian  :P

@ Bercor I think it is due to the fact that Roman sources often portray the Carthaginians (called Punics) in a very bad light. Earlier works in Germany (19th century) also used ''Punic'' and linguists still do when speaking about West- Phoenician languages, but you wouldn't find a book called ''Punische Geschichte'' these days. Rather, the newest book on the topic (which I got myself) was called ''Karthago. Aufstieg und Fall einer Großmacht'' (Carthage. Rise and fall of a great power'').

Anyway, what exactly does the culture determine anyway? Since I'm still pondering about the Numidians as Punic/Carthaginians/Libyo- Phoenicians or whatever, since they didn't have big cities, but neither were they nomads. (To be fair their former capital looks quite impressive nowadays)

Open to see Karta (Roman: Cirta, Algerian: Constantine)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

By the way I'm just watching a documentary about Star Wars and mythology and Dido (who founded Carthage) is related to Padmé Amidala  ;D Both make pleas to their husbands not to change and to stay good and with them- unsuccessfully, of course.

Augustus

xeofox

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2014, 12:12:42 AM »
and again ...
to avoid conflicts with different historians call them "Scythian tribes"  ;D