Author Topic: The Battle for Antares IV: Main Thread, FAQs & Discussion  (Read 12602 times)

TTG4

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Plants are my passion!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: The Battle for Antares IV: Main Thread, FAQs & Discussion
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2014, 04:10:32 AM »
The space pirates do work wonders against Trogs though, and the explosions are pretty.

I may have missed something, but with all these indepent nations and deadly creatures, shouldn't the lizardmen have some starting units? Or is the idea that everyone quickly militrised when the humans rocked up?

As for the North Continent, I feel like it could be more than it is, at the moment it's a bit of a schlep to reach, but once the lizardmen have it, it's pretty secure.

I've not seen any mercs crop up on the islands, is that intentional?

I'm not entirely sure why, but River Town revolted against the colonists and came under my control, despite me never holding it. I suspect this a weird quirk of the RTW engine, as I've seen it do this in vanilla, but is there something controlling whether a city reverts to rebel or defects to another faction upon revolting?

Does anyone else find the rebel forces build massive navies? This makes it quite difficult to expand quickly as the Lizardmen as your fleets keep sinking (then again I've never been good at RTW naval warfare).

All in all though I'm enjoying it!

Tom

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2014, 09:25:59 AM »
The rebels build loads of military and although i havent been to sea yet I have seen very large fleets of rebels. I agree with you that the lizardmen should have some starting armies if they are supposedly the original inhabitants of this world. Maybe they should be very basic/primeval and then when the humans arrive (when the campaign starts) they start receiving tech and advancing a little? I agree with you though, its a lot of fun to play :)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2014, 11:08:26 AM »
Don't worry, I have plans for the NC, it's just a placeholder landmass at the moment.

Both Lizardmen and Humans will get better ships eventually, too, and both will get some small starting garrison forces.

Currently there are no mercs on the islands - Trogs don't do much sailing so they won't be recruitable out in the archipelago areas and it's too far from any spaceports for most of the alien mercs.

River Town's revolt is indeed a quirk of the engine, I have to put in one of the factions as the base faction for that purpose. When I add more factions this will get a bit less illogical.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Tom

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2014, 11:59:12 AM »
Sounds like you've got everything under control :) now to subjugate those pesky rebels :P

TTG4

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Plants are my passion!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2014, 01:57:02 PM »
Don't worry, I have plans for the NC, it's just a placeholder landmass at the moment.

Both Lizardmen and Humans will get better ships eventually, too, and both will get some small starting garrison forces.

Currently there are no mercs on the islands - Trogs don't do much sailing so they won't be recruitable out in the archipelago areas and it's too far from any spaceports for most of the alien mercs.

River Town's revolt is indeed a quirk of the engine, I have to put in one of the factions as the base faction for that purpose. When I add more factions this will get a bit less illogical.

I thought that all might be the case, thanks for getting back so quick!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2014, 06:29:32 PM »
Done the browncoat UI and generals so they're now in as a full-fledged faction :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Tom

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2014, 09:49:54 PM »
Playable? Yay or nay?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2014, 09:57:24 PM »
Yeah, I'll make all the factions playable, though some will be extremely tough to play as.

Tom

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2014, 09:59:52 PM »
That stands to reason tbh, the basic lizard people should be weaker than the colonists for example, based on their tech alone.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2014, 10:08:25 PM »
The lizardfolk aren't particularly low-tech - their issue is more that they haven't weaponised their high-end technology more than that they don't have any.

The Trogs, on the other hand, are more or less a chalcolithic/bronze age level culture who've just had a ton of human colonists with sci-fi blasters land on their planet... (poor things :( )

Tom

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2014, 10:13:26 PM »
That's a pretty cool situation though and given that they're a different species they have some characteristics such as their strength and size that mean they're still pretty useful.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2014, 10:26:08 PM »
I've now mapped the northern continent properly.

As an update on other aspects, I'm plugging on to get the UI for all the factions, and their general models etc, complete - and then the fun bit (making new units) will just be all the rest of the modding that's needed.

I've got about 1 and a half factions left to go for UI provision.  :)