Author Topic: Son of a Witch: Devlog and general discussion  (Read 218153 times)

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
Re: Son of a Witch: Castle Crashers meets Isaac
« Reply #495 on: March 18, 2018, 01:31:51 PM »
I got "Challenger", "Necromancer" and "Takeover" in a single Daily Challenge run today. Challenger and Necromancer are both heavily reliant on having the lower catacombs present, I think.

For Challenger, yes, I believe so. Necromancer can be done without it because raising the same undead over and over also counts.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #496 on: March 19, 2018, 01:08:08 PM »
The F1 key thing to test for the Dracula achievement - what does that actually test for/require? Necro staff + Lower Catacombs, or just Necro Staff being present?
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #497 on: March 19, 2018, 01:16:44 PM »
The F1 key thing to test for the Dracula achievement - what does that actually test for/require? Necro staff + Lower Catacombs, or just Necro Staff being present?

It tests if the lower catacombs are created and one of the necromancers drops the staff.

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #498 on: March 19, 2018, 01:17:48 PM »
There's the new release trailer:

We're exiting Early Access in May.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 09:06:21 PM by bigosaur »

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #499 on: March 19, 2018, 01:22:05 PM »

shepherd staff looks like a chuckle. I Like the epic music you used too

looks great!
<< Signature redacted >>

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #500 on: March 19, 2018, 01:31:56 PM »
I don't think you need the lower catacombs for the achievement, unless it's changed - I'm pretty sure I got it by raising the same vampiress ten times in a row.

(Though it is useful to have the lower catacombs check, mainly for the "comeback" achievement, which I still haven't got).

Can confirm that the shepherd staff is great fun :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #501 on: March 19, 2018, 03:18:24 PM »
I don't think you need the lower catacombs for the achievement, unless it's changed - I'm pretty sure I got it by raising the same vampiress ten times in a row.

Oh, I completely forgot about that. Perhaps I should just print some other message in the log instead.

EDIT: now that I think about it, I think it's a bug. You should raise 10 different ones, not the same one 10 times. I will fix that in the next version.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #502 on: March 19, 2018, 05:33:28 PM »
OK, but please don't wipe my having already got the thing, saving that vampiress from petrification took some effort :P

But yeah - I think it's a useful readout, but mainly because it's got several attached things that it makes much easier - Necromancer, Undead Friend, and Comeback are all much easier to do if it's set to "possible".

I'm really struggling with the barbarian axe achievement, I've been trying it on the Overdrive challenge but I still can't seem to get above the mid twenties... I guess maybe I need to make it as far as a castle level. I just managed to wipe an entire room of 8 goblins out without breaking the streak once, without any upgrades on my axe/melee (as the upgrades make it harder since you're starting on higher damage) and I still didn't reach 30.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 05:57:41 PM by Jubal »

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #503 on: March 19, 2018, 09:12:29 PM »
OK, but please don't wipe my having already got the thing, saving that vampiress from petrification took some effort :P

:) I never delete the achievements, so no worries there.

I'm really struggling with the barbarian axe achievement, I've been trying it on the Overdrive challenge but I still can't seem to get above the mid twenties...

You should try with bosses, it's much easier to do. I have done it multiple times during testing. Ogre Mama is tricky because she might run out of HP by the time you get to 30, so you need to string some goblins as well, but bosses on later levels have more HP... just use something to slow them down so they don't move too much and keep hitting. You're immune to projectiles, so minions have to come close and then you can add them to the combo counter ;).

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #504 on: March 19, 2018, 10:51:03 PM »
I tried that (quite a few times now), I find that either minions get behind me and break the streak or I need to dodge and I'm not good enough on the controls to divert :( I'm sure it's just about possible, I'm just not sure I can be bothered to do as many runs as it will take anytime soon, since a) it takes a while to get to the mid-level bosses where one can sensibly attempt the challenge, b) my melee playstyle usually involves way more dodging and weapon switching so I'm not well practised at just plugging away repeatedly whilst also dodging and c) I don't regularly play as the barbarian. It's just a pain in the neck to try and achievement-hunt that particular one and it's unlikely I'll get it in normal gameplay.

EDIT: Finally did it, kept loading up the Head Start challenge and running into the boss fight until eventually I got a speed boost + getting a bit lucky with the violet knights. Also, completed "comeback"... Gonzales and Shortcut I suspect both need to be done via the shortcut, and both need an extremely good set of boosts from level 1, so I guess those will have to wait until I get some good RNG... is there any chance of getting an F1 readout for whether the shortcut is present? I know it doesn't take that long to look, but with a 1/20 or so chance that's still a lot of useless 5 minute runs around the forest.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 09:43:27 PM by Jubal »

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #505 on: March 21, 2018, 11:35:39 AM »
I know it doesn't take that long to look, but with a 1/20 or so chance that's still a lot of useless 5 minute runs around the forest.

The chance is 10%.

I only added the F1 for DRACULA because the players who have played the game before the ach. was added have probably already raised 10 vampiresses while doing the Eye of Ramana quest, so having only 5% chance to get it after that is a problem.

If you really want the achievement, you can simply write down the seed (once you get the shortcut) and repeat it with the /seed command. This one doesn't require cheat mode, it's perfectly "legal" to do.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #506 on: March 21, 2018, 11:45:36 AM »
OK, fair enough :)

Did shepherd this morning, so 5 achievments to go - Gonzales, Shortcut, Foxy, Friends 'til the End, and Burglar. The latter should be easy, Foxy should be fine sometime when I start a run and get the fox on the first level. FttE I've definitely done once or twice in the past (I think as the barbarian oddly enough)... speed-running isn't my forte though so the others may be trickier!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 12:08:23 PM by Jubal »

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #507 on: March 21, 2018, 01:34:42 PM »
Did shepherd this morning, so 5 achievments to go - Gonzales, Shortcut, Foxy, Friends 'til the End, and Burglar. The latter should be easy, Foxy should be fine sometime when I start a run and get the fox on the first level. FttE I've definitely done once or twice in the past (I think as the barbarian oddly enough)... speed-running isn't my forte though so the others may be trickier!

Wow, I'm way behind you. Although, I plan to record a series of videos for YouTube that would show how to win every achievement in the game and I keep delaying that until all the bugs are ironed out.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #508 on: March 23, 2018, 01:16:38 PM »
Got Gonzales done as the pyromancer (which speeds up the early battles). Game completed in 29 minutes and 30s - I used a shortcut level with the seed command and it took a few attempts, and I did the last two boss battles with zero health and some gamble scrolls. :)

Shortcut achievement still isn't complete as I had to gamble the dragon master, which I think stops you getting that achievement. Ah well - I guess I'll probably use the same seed again but take a less aggressive/high speed approach.

EDIT: Re-did exactly the same level/tactics, but slower and more thoroughly and did the boss fight properly, and Shortcut is now done as well :) Three to go...

EDIT: And that's Friends To The End done as well. Impressively, I got as far as the achievement without the boar dying and having to be resurrected at any point - I was the chanter and had some very high-damage orbs being fired, and a turret staff. I eventually found the life staff, but only on the ice level - of course I also had my strawberry staff & was feeding the boar a lot. I decided to finish the game, and the boar did die once in the desert boss fight - I got the elephant, and it's basically impossible to avoid being knocked off your mount with its ridiculous super meteor strike attack thingy (I think the elephant is probably the game's hardest boss? I'd definitely say it's harder than dragon master: the ice level snowman is probably the second worst after it I think).

EDIT: And that's all of them done, the last two were pretty simple.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 09:06:39 PM by Jubal »

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #509 on: March 24, 2018, 10:30:46 AM »
EDIT: And that's all of them done, the last two were pretty simple

That's... amazing.  :llama1:

Darn, now I have to come up with new ones  ;D