Author Topic: Son of a Witch: Devlog and general discussion  (Read 216965 times)

nenadragon

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Son of a Witch: Devlog and general discussion
« Reply #690 on: January 23, 2021, 11:47:07 AM »
My TV is too big to display game content normally, is there any solution?
3840x2160
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 02:02:38 PM by nenadragon »

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #691 on: January 23, 2021, 03:28:10 PM »
3840x2160

Sure.

There are two ways to make it work. One is to make the TV scale the graphics up, and the other is for game to scale the graphics.

1. Go to Settings, Experimental features and set "Pixel-perfect grahics" to "no".

OR

2. Force 1920x1080 true fullscreen mode and TV will up-scale the graphics. It is done like this:

Settings, Graphics, Set Resolution, Custom

Fullscreen: Yes
Width: 1920
Height: 1080
Window border: hidden

Hope this helps.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #692 on: January 23, 2021, 11:00:23 PM »
OK, unlocked the new character, had an absurdly OP run. I feel like the bonus for shields potion should be per 2 shields, not per 1, because it can get immensely OP especially for knights if you have the blacksmith hammer or toughness potion. I didn't get to hell, forgot I needed the sceptre.

Also important feedback, the bonus for shields and toughness potions need to have different symbols so they can be told apart in the bottom bar.

I'm not sure I like the "Victory?" at the end... it's kind of funny, but at the same time the game presents it to you as "you could do this route or the standard route" so then it doesn't feel good as a player to do the standard route and then have the game say "actually maybe you didn't really win", if that makes sense. And I think that might be worse for newer or younger players where you really want to feel a sense of achievement when you complete a run (SoaW is not that easy a game after all even in its regular form, unless you get amazing RNG on items/potions).
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

nenadragon

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #693 on: January 24, 2021, 06:15:05 AM »
3840x2160

Sure.

There are two ways to make it work. One is to make the TV scale the graphics up, and the other is for game to scale the graphics.

1. Go to Settings, Experimental features and set "Pixel-perfect grahics" to "no".

OR

2. Force 1920x1080 true fullscreen mode and TV will up-scale the graphics. It is done like this:

Settings, Graphics, Set Resolution, Custom

Fullscreen: Yes
Width: 1920
Height: 1080
Window border: hidden

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #694 on: January 24, 2021, 11:19:54 AM »
OK, unlocked the new character, had an absurdly OP run. I feel like the bonus for shields potion should be per 2 shields, not per 1, because it can get immensely OP especially for knights if you have the blacksmith hammer or toughness potion.

I will have to run some tests to see how often do you get the combo. There are already many OP things in the game, so if it doesn't happen too often, I don't want to complicate the rules.

Also important feedback, the bonus for shields and toughness potions need to have different symbols so they can be told apart in the bottom bar.

Hm, yes. The same problem exists with "Focus Pocus" and "Every Hit's a Crit". I'll think of something.

I'm not sure I like the "Victory?" at the end... it's kind of funny, but at the same time the game presents it to you as "you could do this route or the standard route" so then it doesn't feel good as a player to do the standard route and then have the game say "actually maybe you didn't really win", if that makes sense. And I think that might be worse for newer or younger players where you really want to feel a sense of achievement when you complete a run (SoaW is not that easy a game after all even in its regular form, unless you get amazing RNG on items/potions).

I looked at how some other games in the genre do it: Spelunky, Slay the Spire and I feel like it should be there. I have seen some players (on YouTube) finally complete the run once and say "this game is done" and never play it again. Especially, if they do it early without unlocking all the characters. It's a motivation to play more and fully experience the game.

Beginners tend to play and beat RPG mode first anyway, and Hell level isn't available there, so they get the "Victory!" screen without any demons.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #695 on: January 25, 2021, 12:25:50 AM »
Recolouring variants could do the job fine with the icons I think.

And yeah, that's fair enough re the shield combos. I did get the ironclad variant super easily though - though I guess I'm sufficiently quick/experienced that I'm not getting hit often, so it depends how much one is actually tanking.

And sure, fair enough - it's a bit offputting for me, but I know my brain often doesn't work in a particularly normal way with these things :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #696 on: January 25, 2021, 12:01:39 PM »
Recolouring variants could do the job fine with the icons I think.

I just added more icons. Version 5.09 is up with the change.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #697 on: February 05, 2021, 12:35:10 AM »
Just did a run where getting cursed with extravagance didn't seem to work - I got cursed with it by a skeleton wizard, and the only impact it had was a single -5 going through the door into the hell portal room. None of the other catacomb or hell rooms deducted me any money.

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #698 on: February 05, 2021, 02:51:11 PM »
Just did a run where getting cursed with extravagance didn't seem to work - I got cursed with it by a skeleton wizard, and the only impact it had was a single -5 going through the door into the hell portal room. None of the other catacomb or hell rooms deducted me any money.

I tried, but cannot reproduce the problem. As a part of the Demons update, I have changed it to only trigger when entering new rooms (because the sound effect is annoying). Maybe it didn't work if you cleared all the rooms before getting the effect in the catacombs? Still, it doesn't explain why it wouldn't work in hell. Did you maybe use something that would remove it or just didn't pay attention on your first sweep of the level?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #699 on: February 05, 2021, 03:44:50 PM »
Hm. I had transferred cash to my other player, so maybe I just ran out of money and wasn't paying attention.

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #700 on: February 05, 2021, 07:06:04 PM »
Hm. I had transferred cash to my other player, so maybe I just ran out of money and wasn't paying attention.

Well, the report was still useful. Since it's now only once per room, I increased the base effect to -20 gold, but I only did that for the potion and forgot to update the undead mages as well. Now I have fixed it to be -20 in both cases.

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #701 on: September 22, 2021, 08:46:20 PM »
I prepared a special game mode for the Halloween. It will be available on Steam from October 28 until November 1st.

I have uploaded a new version on Steam with these changes. If you don't want to wait, you can try it out now:

• start the game
  • go into the hero selection screen
  • press T to open the chat box and enter the following command: /hw

The halloween mode will remain active until you restart the game. Minimum version for this to work is 5.4.0. If you have an older one, update on Steam.

The Halloween mode is Steam-only.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #702 on: September 23, 2021, 08:12:42 AM »
Oh, that's cool, I'll have to take a look :) I never really got round to finishing all the post demon slayer achievements too, maybe I should go back and try again sometime...

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #703 on: September 23, 2021, 11:06:29 AM »
Oh, that's cool, I'll have to take a look :) I never really got round to finishing all the post demon slayer achievements too, maybe I should go back and try again sometime...

Well, a minor spoiler here: the Halloween Mode allows you to get into hell without activating the pentagram. In fact, you have to go through hell to complete the game. So, I guess it can help with some achievements.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #704 on: November 01, 2021, 02:55:06 PM »
Had a game in Halloween mode with some friends last night, I really enjoyed it, though sadly I've not been able to play it very much.

Also, a friend of mine's halloween costume this year was based on a custom SoaW paladin skin I made for her, so that was a nice Halloween-SoaW moment too!