Author Topic: BearKnight's Deeper & Darker RPG  (Read 22684 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: BearKnight's Deeper n' Darker RPG
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2016, 12:06:57 PM »
I think in the character sheet makes a lot more sense - the signature is displayed around the whole forum, so having to use it for one specific game seems over the top. I think if we keep them in our character posts, and maybe have links to each of the character posts in the very first post of this thread? (You can click on the title of an individual post and get a URL to go straight to that post).
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

DeepCandle Games

• RPG author and big nerd
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Aspiring TTRPG Writer
    • View Profile
    • My Ko-Fi Shop-front!
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2016, 12:08:36 PM »
I've updated the original post with character sheet links, you can all use those now to document items and information (unless you feel comfortable with using your forum signatures. i have done so as i didn't have anything that important in it)

i will also be colour coding text from now on. read below, or check out my signature:

orange: Item pickups and other item related information

yellow:Narration and whole party/environment effects

red: buffs, debuffs, and other character specific effects

green: NPC thoughts

lime green: NPC dialogue

« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 01:07:00 PM by BearKnight »
I write many projects focused around RPGs and rules expansions!

If you'd like to support me you can buy (or download for free) my finished work from https://ko-fi.com/nanoteq_rpg or play-test them with me on my discord!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2016, 08:59:09 PM »
I've written out my starting inventory, given myself three quite low-powered runic items to start off with (essentially, I think the way it should work is that I can create new runic stuff if I have the material and tools, the bigger and more durable the effects I want the harder they are to make and the longer it takes). :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

DeepCandle Games

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Aspiring TTRPG Writer
    • View Profile
    • My Ko-Fi Shop-front!
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2016, 02:05:19 AM »
The Inn starts to quiet down as customers rustle off to their rooms for the night. the fire is still burning warmly.

//Update for all players: you can now start with three items. be responsible and dont make them ridiculous. But have fun!

ps: non-magic items and tools are also permitted, as long as they dont provide any extra combat advantage
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 03:16:36 AM by BearKnight »

If you'd like to support me you can buy (or download for free) my finished work from https://ko-fi.com/nanoteq_rpg or play-test them with me on my discord!

DeepCandle Games

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Aspiring TTRPG Writer
    • View Profile
    • My Ko-Fi Shop-front!
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2016, 11:29:01 AM »
The cold begins to seep into the main room. luckily the fire is kept going by those still awake, crackling and flickering gently in the midst of the room, warming you and your companions. There appears to be a few pieces of parchment spread across one of the tables, scrawled upon in detailed markings and notes, weighed down by a half full tankard of ale and a small ink-pot along with an equally miniature quill with red feathering. Warmth is filling your bodies from the feet up and making the room seem cozier. The night draws on.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2016, 11:59:53 PM »
Andvari notices the inkpot nearby, and looks curiously at it, wondering if this indicates a scribe who can tell him more about the area, or something even more interesting...

Is the parchment abandoned as far as I/Andvari can tell?

DeepCandle Games

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Aspiring TTRPG Writer
    • View Profile
    • My Ko-Fi Shop-front!
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2016, 01:53:49 AM »
A short man returns swiftly to the table and mumbles to himself, returning to his work. he appears to be making a map. he looks up quickly with his mouse-like face and whiskery beard, startled by your sudden approach.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 12:04:13 PM by BearKnight »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2016, 10:36:26 AM »
Andvari wanders over.

"You appear to be a fellow being of letters, sir. May I enquire as to your work?"

DeepCandle Games

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Aspiring TTRPG Writer
    • View Profile
    • My Ko-Fi Shop-front!
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2016, 01:05:41 PM »
W-why yes i suppose this is something of the sort. A little more complex perhaps.

He presses the parchment out flat, blots of ale and other substances staining various parts of it as he points to several figures and landmarks and begins to discuss them in excitement.

These are the Stones of Guldan, The lost temple of Almarad is here,this is The Crystal mines of Fargulf, and here are The Ruins of Haestus. O-oh, and here is our lovely Inn, but of course!

When mentioning the Inn he jabs a little section in the south-west corner of the map, surrounded by several mountains and a dense forest. you notice a body of water marked that flows through the woods and into the lands beyond, passing through several valleys and forking between its first fork; the northward stream, and its second fork; the eastward stream, each one passing either side of a huge mountain labelled "Giant's Peak Mountain".

Beyond The Giant's Peak Mountain lies a series of large swamp-lands to the north and west known as The Plague Marshes which merges into  The Great Western Jungles that span across the west edge of the map, renowned for their fierce native species. Along the bottom of the map lays a large string of mountains called "The Black-Spine Mountains", in which is rumoured to be settlements of Minotaur.

The Centre of the map depicts a great set of plains and meadows, with the occasional forestry and many named blots with the titles of various villages and cities of The Central Kingdoms, while most of the north is swallowed by an inland sea, known now to the poets and journeying folk as "The Flooded Lands", with many island settlements. It is said that both the most beautiful and ugly of creatures reside there.
The east however dissolves into sand, with a landmark noted as "The Red Canyon" inscribed into it. This single chasm bored so deep into the earth that you need to use advanced cave systems to reach the surface at its floor, splitting into other wide canyons and several large subterranean tunnels. The Red Canyon is used by many travelers to journey quickly between the settlements that dot its domain.

The various landmarks he has inscribed onto The Merchant's Map that you notice include:
The Stones of Guldan

The Lost Temple of Almarad

The Crystal Mines of Fargulf

The Ruins of Haestus

The Giant's Peak Mountain

The Plague Marshes

The Great Western Jungles

The Black-Spine Mountains

The Central Kingdoms

The Flooded Lands

The Red Canyon

« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 04:18:39 PM by BearKnight »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2016, 09:59:19 PM »
"Have you been to many of these places? Can you tell me more about the stones of Gulden? I craft words upon stone, and any stones worthy of being named sound like a place to visit..."

Stroking his beard, Andvari scans his eyes across the map.

DeepCandle Games

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Aspiring TTRPG Writer
    • View Profile
    • My Ko-Fi Shop-front!
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2016, 11:11:32 PM »
The man chuckles and looks at you with an expression of amusement.

Well they're actually a series of pillars, inscribed with runes. It has been said they used to be a location for sacrifices. There are atleast ten, and they all reside on a hill.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 12:38:18 AM by BearKnight »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2016, 11:06:12 AM »
"Interesting, I shall have to go and make notes on the runecraft."

Andvari activates his light-stone to illuminate the map better than the flickering candles and firelight will allow.

"And these crystal mines?"

DeepCandle Games

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Aspiring TTRPG Writer
    • View Profile
    • My Ko-Fi Shop-front!
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2016, 12:32:30 PM »
Ah they are a site of constant warfare, where many factions have risen and fallen through it's vast prosperity, yet only a few have withstood the test of time.

Looking closer you recognize faint borders marked out among the regions of the map, with several great empires and kingdoms, and a swathe of smaller states, some independent, some not.

The glaring exception of course is the majority of The Plague Marshes in which only reside a series of small settlements, and The Great Western Jungles , riddled with villages and tribes, but with no prominent civilization.

The Red Canyon is a wasteland with whole settlements that sometimes shift locations, due to the abundance or lacking of water each year. It is for this reason that no one seems to bother recording their locations, making the land more mysterious than it already was.

//You know, now that i think about it, it would be really cool to actually create a map of this, but i don't really know how that would work out. any tips?

DeepCandle Games

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Aspiring TTRPG Writer
    • View Profile
    • My Ko-Fi Shop-front!
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2016, 03:23:52 PM »
I awaken at the sound of your voices and after finishing the last of my ale I splash what remains onto the hearth, making it roar, the flames licking at the air around it as I stare into it, smiling smugly to myself as if I were re-reading an old joke.

I take a seat across from both of you and start looking at the map, taking in its details with great curiosity and observation as my hand plays with one of the locks of my beard absently.
Shortly after, i scan the room, noticing a hunter slouched against his chair, snoring gently, as well as several shields of the local holds adorning the walls. My attention turns back to you and i stretch my back muscles before speaking in my rumbling voice.

What might you two 'ave been up to? Planning a trip?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: BearKnight's Deeper & Darker RPG
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2016, 10:05:12 PM »
OOC: I can make a map to the specifications above, if you want? :)

"Not so much planning a trip as thinking about what trips could in fact be planned, though the former question may soon become the one that I am attempting to answer. That is to say that I am not quite planning a trip, but I am planning to plan a trip, if there is a trip that can be planned."

Andvari pauses momentarily, eyes assessing the stranger.

"I am Andvari of the Calasson clan, a runesmith. Your name, friend?"