Author Topic: [Dev Log] Tourney: The medieval tournament sim  (Read 73967 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: [Dev Log] Tourney: The medieval tournament sim
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2018, 11:43:52 AM »
At some point I should get a new copy of the original M&B, I'd like to play all my old mods for it again...
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2018, 04:49:16 PM »
I am honestly very excited for this.
The Norbayne Campaign Instagram page. Give us a cheeky follow if you like. :)
By the power of Ga'haarr I command you to vanish! VANISH!
I CANNOT BE KILLED BUT WITH FIRE!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Crazier than a crack-head cat and here to make sticky treats out of your vital organs.

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2018, 09:35:07 AM »
So having worked almost exclusively on knights for the last few weeks I am happy to say that I have the minimum items that they'll need to joust. That is: 1 lance type, 1 horse type, 1 type of armour and 1 type of shield. So now tourney not only supports crowds of peasants, but crowds of knights too!

Here's a screeny of a bunch of them from different houses arriving at once -  (cue ride of the valkyries music)

Next up: Jousting minigame
<< Signature redacted >>

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2018, 12:36:49 PM »
Ooh, those look very cool indeed :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2018, 08:35:06 AM »
Thanks for the kind words!

Hopefully I'll have the AI jousting each-other done by the end of the weekend so I can share my lance shatter effect and tilt model. I'm quite pleased with them.
<< Signature redacted >>

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2018, 05:30:22 PM »
Made some good progress over the last couple of weeks with the jousting part of the game. I created a tilt barrier buildable, and have the bots to the point where they endlessly joust against eachother. 

Here's two of them at it:

At the moment they don't do any damage and always hit the same spot so the next developments are to have stats & equipment factor in to the force and accuracy of the hit; Then introduce damage and a scoring system so a knight can actually win.

It will also be possible to separately target the head, arm or shield. A head shot is harder to achieve but can yield greatly increased force, which if high enough can dehorse your opponent. An arm shot is also harder but can make your opponent drop their lance which would negate any damage on you. Shields are the easiest things to hit but won't do much damage.

Once the AI can do that then I'll implement a mini game so the player can influence the outcome themselves. This game will probably be to maintain the lances aim targeting the desired spot. As well as that the speed of the horse will factor into the force of the hit, so a part of the mini-game will be to optimise how quickly you start (like when you start a race in mario kart). A well timed start means you hit your opponent with as much force as possible. A fumbled start will make your horse rear, having the opposite effect.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 07:23:17 PM by Tusky »
<< Signature redacted >>

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2018, 10:33:21 PM »
Neat :) What will be the possible endings of the minigame? Will it always just be one pass, or do you keep going until e.g. a lance breaks/someone gets unhorsed?

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2018, 11:03:03 PM »
The scoring is not set in stone, Possibly a round will consist of 5 passes, scoring 3 points for a broken lance, 1 point for a hit, +2 points if you dehorse the opponent.

The minigame is an optional thing, so the possible outcomes will the same if you play or not. You will be able to jump in to control the knights you have chosen from your house when they are participating in an event. The benefit of that is that you will probably be able to do a bit better than the AI, and you get awarded more prestige points, and it'll be a bit of fun :)

Prestige points are awarded on completion of events and are an indication of how much the crowd enjoyed themselves. Earning those is how you unlock new buildings, staff & decorations etc.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 11:09:57 PM by Tusky »
<< Signature redacted >>

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2018, 10:18:38 PM »
I've completed the jousting to the point where 2 AI knights will start a joust event, compete in it, and continue until there is a winner! So I had to iron out the rules. Those are:

There are 5 Passes.
1 point for a broken lance
2 points to disarm the opponent
3 points to unhorse the opponent

Here's some logs of it working and everything.

I must admit I had a little read of the article about probabilities which helped :) After all I'm using digital dice for the bots.

All of the mechanics are in place now. For example you need to try and get the optimal speed to charge. If you nail it then you get a massive speed & force boost - and your knight rears up and goes right into a gallop which is fun, like this:

I also did everything to do with the actual clash - so now along with the straightforward lance break (shown in the last post) a knight can be disarmed and dehorsed.

In fact it's possible for both knights to successfully disarm or dehorse eachother. Take a look at these dopes:

So with that mostly complete I'll move on to getting some stands done, so the pezzies can line the edge of the list field to watch the events.
<< Signature redacted >>

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2018, 10:49:19 PM »
Looks fun! :) And I'm really glad the probabilities article helped - I need to get on and finish editing up the binomial distribution one that follows it...

comrade_general

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2018, 11:12:00 PM »
Lol the first thing I thought of when I saw that knight fall to the ground was the log guy from tekken.

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2018, 08:34:45 AM »
Looks fun! :) And I'm really glad the probabilities article helped - I need to get on and finish editing up the binomial distribution one that follows it...

Thanks. Yeah it did help to refresh my knowledge about probability generally, and that combining 2 results then means the odds are different. Look forward to reading the next one. There will definitely be a lot of tweaking the numbers and stats to make sure that some competitors are challenging relative to the player. At the moment they are all arbitrary numbers, usually maxed so I can test a thing happens. e.g. you can see in the log output that at one point minimum roll needed to hit was -25. I definitely need the odds to be more refined than that!

Lol the first thing I thought of when I saw that knight fall to the ground was the log guy from tekken.

Haha yeah. Maybe I need to tidy the animations so they aren't... as wooden?!?  :ents:  ;D

<< Signature redacted >>

comrade_general

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2018, 12:52:35 PM »
The animations look good it was more the shape and color of his armor. ;)

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2018, 10:45:03 PM »
Hello fairest reader!

I completed a new model since the last update, which was the spectator stand model:

These will be where the pesentry will prefer to watch the trials of the knights. Having stands is important to the satisfaction of the pezzies, because how much they enjoy the events is linked to your success in the game. They also just make the jousting tilt look a bit less naked.

However I had noticed that I'd ignored an important thing, and that is that placement needs to be precise. You might notice there that there are gaps between all the items in the above image. That's accidental - and thus - unacceptable!!
The reason is that before when you were moving the initial placement outline, it would snap to an invisible grid in a somewhat random way and you could end up with things overlapping, or with gaps you didn't necessarily want. I've now fixed that, which actually took a lot longer than I thought. Here you see an outlet placed exactly flush with the arena. Hooray!

I have not mentioned yet that the melee arenas (one type of event arena for sword fighting) are built using tile based system, so you can create any shapes you want. In the above example you may notice that I laid out the arena like a space invader.

Progress on the project has proved to be quite galcial, so I decided to approach an environment artist to help out part time for a while. You can see some of his other work here. So that's exciting. Hopefully in the next few months bits of nice scenery will start to appear.

Next step for me is to have peasants actually watch the events, since at the moment they just stand around looking gormless.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 06:22:44 AM by Tusky »
<< Signature redacted >>

Silverspook

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2018, 07:21:27 PM »
This looks fantastic! Great job Tusky. :)  I hope you get a chance to use some of those names from the Neofeud cutting floor. ;)