Author Topic: [Dev Log] Tourney: The medieval tournament sim  (Read 73916 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: [Dev Log] Tourney: The medieval tournament sim
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2018, 12:22:40 PM »
Ooh, you could also have them parading around wild animals as crowd entertainment which will occasionally get out and eat/crush someone :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

SLiV

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2018, 12:18:23 PM »
Happiness

The visitors all have a happiness value now that goes up or down depending on various things - such as if they want to eat but cant, enjoyed a fight etc.

Whilst doing this I realised an issue: The visitors just wander to and fro & when they need anything they go right to any venue that can provide for that need. So if a new outlet is placed - they'll one by one go to it, and end up looking like a horde of zombies.

So what difference did it make where the player put anything?

I think the answer - like in all other simulation games... is to use paths to direct where people generally go.
It would have been nice to not use them just because it would have set tourney apart a little bit. More like real "crowd in field" situations, where people would just wander about. Still I think it is something people will "get" and provides a neat solutioon

What if there is a limit to the distance where peasants detect new venues? So if everyone is thirsty and you place a new beer vendor, nearby peasants will swarm towards it, but peasants further removed will keep wandering until they stumble across it. Perhaps in combination with paths; if they are more likely to follow paths then you can direct them towards your vendors that way. Don't know how much computing power it would take to track all that, though, since each peasant would have its own memory of what the map looks like.

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2018, 10:01:20 AM »
Yes that's not a bad idea. Thanks!

So if they are following a path that the player sets out, then they could have a limit to what they see in that vicinity. That way you can tailor areas to lord / peasant areas, and make sure that things are grouped that way so the visitors daisy chain things they might want to do and make them spend money and get happy. I will have a think and will probably implement something like that.

But yeah essentially - anything that allows the player to have some influence over where the visitors go will be a vast improvement :)
<< Signature redacted >>

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2018, 11:45:31 AM »
wow. 1 month since the last full post.

It's been a slow month for me. To be honest I was hoping to have the things in my last to do list completed (simple knight and paths). But they are not. Whilst I was planning out the logic for paths I began to realise that it fundamentally felt wrong and I couldn't make it work in a way I liked. So I went back to the drawing board. I think I have finally come up with something that will work, which is essentially doing what Sliv said  ;D A visitor will now consider everything in a certain range, and then choose where to go - favouring things that are nearer to them. I think it will work quite nicely. For example you can set up a row of vendors which the visitors will go to in turn - thus giving you some control over what people visit.
There is a lot to their decision process which I won't bore you with here - such as what to do with event and stand buildings. Suffice to say I have been coding it for the couple of weeks and still haven't finished.

So what with that and sneaking off for a weeks holiday I have completed 0 things. However I have progressed them well, and shouldn't be too far off completing.

That being said some stuff was completed by someone more productive than me. Here's a little fishing boat and dock rig that will sit on a nearby water feature as "edge scenery":

Todo

Paths (well, more accurately: visitor goal decision logic)
Simple knight.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 01:54:52 PM by Tusky »
<< Signature redacted >>

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2018, 01:47:54 PM »
Ooh, that is a pretty boat :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

beebug_nic

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Fringe Planet
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2018, 12:02:21 PM »
That is an awesome model :-) And don't kick yourself about being slow - any progress is good progress. And it sounds like you are very much sitting down and considering everything, which is incredibly valuable :-D I hope you enjoy your holiday! :-D

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2018, 10:04:09 PM »
Thanks  :) Kind words indeed

Very happy to reveal that I've finished the bulk of that logic now! I'll be making a few more tweaks and then return to my own 3d modelling
<< Signature redacted >>

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2018, 10:40:21 PM »
Yay, well done! :)

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2018, 10:45:54 AM »
Wow it's been a month since posting anything! Well it's high time I list all the amazing thing I have done....

FIRST THING

A new "simple" knight model. Supposed to look a bit like a squire with a bit more armour on. Here's a screeny:

The actual armour isn't done yet but you can see the house colours there...

As with the "crusader" looking one I've had in previous screenshots, they need 16 unique textures to be created for all the heraldry and whatnot. So take ages essentially. I have done 7 of 13 houses so should be done in a week or so. Once done that will mean I'll only need to a few more models before there is something resembling a game ready to test!

So there you have it!

Stay tuned for more amazing thing I have done next time!

<< Signature redacted >>

SLiV

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2018, 12:47:11 PM »
Looks great! Can't wait to try it out someday.

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2018, 03:43:23 PM »
Thanks SLiV!
<< Signature redacted >>

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2018, 05:13:30 PM »
Very nice :) I came across an old song I used to love called "Errant Knight" which is a parody/humour song about jousting and reminded me of this thread

(It starts:
My lady Ann, your Champion's depressed;
Not in shape to carry on the quest,
I have to keep my speed down to a trot,
Or lose what little armour plate I've got;
My screws are loose, my clamps are hanging off,
My helmet topples every time I cough -
I topple with it every time I charge,
I've got to get this suit to a garage..."
)

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2018, 09:31:04 AM »
Yay, nice :) I'll use that for inspiration

I have a bit from GOT at the very top of my GDD to guide my hand in terms of spirit:

Beneath it's walls he saw tents of many colors, bright banners cracking in the wind, and knights in mail and plate on barded horses. He smelled roasting meats, and heard the sound of laughter and the blare of heralds' trumpets. A great tourney was about to commence, and champions from all over the land had come to contest it. The king himself was there, with his son the dragon prince. [...] The crannogman had never seen such pageantry, and knew he might never see the like again. Part of him wanted nothing so much as to be part of it.

- Meera Reed on the grand tourney at Harrenhal
<< Signature redacted >>

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2018, 11:20:46 AM »
Yes - generally I think Martin isn't fantasy's greatest exemplar of prose style, but that's a really nice passage :)

Link to that song and full lyrics:
https://www.peteatkin.com/play/f4.htm

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2018, 08:45:24 AM »
Well since recovering from the lurgy and sorting out some life stuff* my motivation has increased. As such I have been sinking some hours into tourney development!

Here's what's new this time.

• Simple knight model fully complete and imported.
  • The edge scenery has continued to be tweaked and improved. There is a nice new water shader which I'm really happy with. You can see it in the below shot of the water mill (as well as the simple knight). Fun side note: I also made the mill wheel turn, which you can't see here, obviously

• Money actually goes up and down when you buy or sell buildings. Visitors using outlets also earns you gold. That means I can actually start to test balance and pacing of income
  • I did a lengthy and tedious task which needed doing, which was to import all of the knights stats & gear. I had been carefully poring over them in a huge spreadsheet for some months. I needed to make sure they were broadly fair, houses had stat tendencies and there were a couple of stars and "diamonds in the rough" for the player to discover.
  • There is a mechanism in place which will stop too many non scoring passes in the joust - which I noticed did happen sometimes. It is quite dull to watch 2 crappy knights miss eachother 10 times before someone finally hits and the round ends
  • Visitors got a few tweaks.
    - They will now pause for a moment before making a transaction at an outlet.
    - There are favoured viewing spots when watching events. This means they don't just cluster around the nearest spot - but fill out at the front which feel a bit more realistic.
    - They will now be dropped off by a "vehicle" at the entrance. I need to do a wagon shire horse model for this to be 100% done, because at the moment it's just a white cube. Even so it means I can test my population controller is working and balanced

Next

Hog roast model - which will be the first food outlet

* playing games like x4: foundation and frostpunk a lot
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 09:47:22 AM by Tusky »
<< Signature redacted >>