Author Topic: Fringe Planet - a survival simulator game inspired by Dwarf Fortress & Rimworld  (Read 22071 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
It's taken me so long to get round to reading that blogpost, but I very much liked it - it looks like a neat and very flexible system to use :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

beebug_nic

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Fringe Planet
    • Awards
Thanks so much for the feedback :-) Plenty more blog posts now :-) Things have been crazy with the end of year/festive season, but work is progressing nicely :-) I fleshed out some information last week about how Spirit Boxes, Spirit Storage and Spirit generators worked https://fringeplanetgame.com/blog/2018/12/07/occult-machinery-dev-blog-25/. Also created one of my favourite models - which is for storing spirits that have been trapped (you may see a wee bit of a Ghostbusters inspiration in it!) :-)

I was also in The Netherlands last week, meeting with the Indietopia Accelerator who are providing business support/mentoring. And was shocked at the sheer number of nerf guns they had in their office!

beebug_nic

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Fringe Planet
    • Awards
Thanks so much for including Fringe Planet in the newsletter - it means a great deal and is super appreciated :-)

With the festive season now over, work is now carrying on - I did a blog post yesterday detailing the road to release, which you can read about here: https://fringeplanetgame.com/blog/2019/01/04/the-road-to-release-dev-blog-27/

Also, for Christmas, I added Christmas trees and Santa hats to the game, which was incredibly festive - but I think I will miss them once they are gone!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Can always have them in as (ironically in this case) an easter egg somehow :) And you're very welcome! It's a pity we're having to cut down on newsletters this year, but I'm pretty stretched between my own projects, my PhD, and running Exilian at the moment (among other things)...
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

beebug_nic

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Fringe Planet
    • Awards
Sounds like a lot of hats to be wearing! just a PhD by itself is helluva lot of work! And yup, they will be included in the final build - either as an easter egg that can be accessed, or automatically appearing over Christmas - the changes are purely cosmetic :-)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Lots of hats - a great feature in games, a less helpful one in reality sometimes :)

beebug_nic

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Fringe Planet
    • Awards
Wow, been a long time since my last forum post :-) A lot has happened since January :-)

First and foremost, a teaser trailer for the game. It took way to long (fairly new to this entire video editing business) - but was very happy with the result :-)

Aside from that, the gamedev has been very busy - alcohol is in the game (blog post here: https://fringeplanetgame.com/blog/2019/03/08/the-joys-and-woes-of-alcohol-dev-blog-36/ ) now along with a lot of balancing and other work. I'm moving very much toward a closed beta now - with all emphasis on a KickStarter being run in the next few months. I've even done a blog post all about myself - https://fringeplanetgame.com/blog/2019/03/15/all-about-nic-dev-blog-37/ - which will tell you all a little more about me :-)

This weeks focus is largely work on a new UI design. The old design was fairly clunky, and though great for me (I know what everything does and where everything is) - it's not too friendly to learn. Here are some quick mock-ups of the new design :

Oh, and also the official website has had a HUGE update - https://fringeplanetgame.com - Newsletter section should you want to find out more info, lots of album images, a few secret hidden easter eggs, a mini-guide to lore and even a store to help support development.

This update does make it sound like 3 months of work amount to fairly little work - I'll have to keep posting more regularly so you see all the behind the scenes work! :-) Be safe folks!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
I like the trailer! Maybe ultimately you'll want more panning shots rather than constant forward-ish shots, but you get the tone right (and, importantly, get the tone "this is very much Not Minecraft"!) I think :) And yes, more updates are always nice!

beebug_nic

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Fringe Planet
    • Awards
Thanks for the feedback, it was a lot of experimenting with different shots to get something that felt ok (like I said, newbie to video editing) - this was very much aimed at being a teaser trailer - there will be more detailed trailers coming soon, will very much look into different shots for that!)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Looking forward to them! :)

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
Looking good BBN!

the gamedev has been very busy - alcohol is in the game

Glad to hear. I think it was one of the first mechanics I had in mine  ;D

I'm really interested to find out the lovecraftian / eldritch elements that will be in this. I'm also a fan of such things (mansions of madness, darkest dungeon, secret world etc), so looking forward to more updates about that :)

Let us know when the kickstarter is, I'll definitely support it!
<< Signature redacted >>

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Booze mechanics are always fun. I even added getting drunk into my Doctor Who adventure game because why not :)

beebug_nic

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Fringe Planet
    • Awards
Hey folks :-)

A *lot* has been happening :-) I've been incredibly busy - but I am *very* happy to announce that Fringe Planet has a kickstarter date :

It's been incredibly exciting to get to this point. But there has been so much going on! Firstly, there has been a huge model update - pretty much every model has been re-textured and/or re-built. It's actually been really satisfying seeing how my modelling skills have come on since I started the game :-)

I've also introduced a new bit of fauna - the Tentacled Devourer - which has some fairly icky lore (you can read about it here : https://fringeplanetgame.com/blog/2019/05/31/the-curse-of-the-tentacled-devourer-dev-blog-48/ )

And finally, after all that - there is one more thing :-) Next Friday (28/06/2019) - will mark an entire year of dev blogs and work on the game. So I'm running a little competition, and I would be honoured if you folks would join in (didn't want to spam another thread about it). Basically I'm looking for anything creative inspired by Fringe Planet - a work of art, a story, a cartoon, a poem - anything along that. I'll be offering some prizes as well :-) The top two entries will receive the first Fringe Planet T-shirts and the top five entries will be amongst the first people to receive a peon name key - allowing them to put a name for a peon into the name pool of the base game :-)  More info can be found here : https://fringeplanetgame.com/blog/2019/06/20/looking-for-your-fan-art-competition-time/ :-)

And one last thing, for a recent pitch I decided to do an entire pitch actually in game. It was fairly nerve wracking, but happily spent some time creating a peon version of the real life me :-) So if you are curious about what I look like, it's something like this :

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Gah, 27 June is a short deadline for turning around a three part opera (or even a short story) but I'll see what I can do...!

Lots of progress being made I can see anyhow :) the devourer looks excellent! And yes, that sort of parasitic growth is perfect for squicky eldritch horror stuff.

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
Aw I won't be able to participate in the competition if it's for the 27th of this month either  :(

Loving the model makeover you've been doing though. They look really cool!
<< Signature redacted >>